Thread: I need guidance for java learning

Addicted Member

I need guidance for java learning

HI.

I have to do a project in Android App for which I have to learn this new language. As I don't have any experience of java. One of my teacher guided me that you need to start some book and start learning java from the very scratch and I complied. He also provided me a book name i.e. Complete Reference Java. I am following it as I reached chapter 6.

Another teacher of mine told me that you don't need to learn the entire sea of Java language. You need to learn what you need to know. He said that you don't need to start from scratch. You just work related to your development need for an app.

Now I don't know that should I need to learn the entire complete reference book or I need to follow some video tutorial online. I have now some basic understanding of class and object and some basic structures like for, loop, function, conditions statements etc.

Question:

1. I need guidance that should I keep continue studying all 38 chapters of Java book which I am studying?

2. Should I start some online tutorial from youtube or some site like tutorialpoint or any other?

3. Or I should directly start Android development?

If there is any other question which I need to ask so please guide me about them and guide me about these above mentioned questions.

I need a proper track to follow which could make me to accomplish my android project AS WELL AS my java learning.

One more thing to add is that this entire learning process has no concerned with my BS or MCS final project or anything else. Its also does not earn even a single penny for me. I just want to learn this thing and want to do this first project of Android development.

Thanks.

Re: I need guidance for java learning

You never need to know anything that you don't need to know. The thing is, working out what it is that you need to know can be quite difficult if you don't know anything. Also, knowledge often builds on other knowledge, so learning what you need to know can be easier if you have already learned other things that you don't strictly need to know but give you background. There just isn't a single right answer to your question. It's really up to you what you think the best approach is.

I would probably suggest working through a beginner Java tutorial at least, to cover the basics. A tutorial on Android development in Java would probably be a good next step. Once you've got the basics of the language and the platform covered, you can then jump in and hopefully you will know enough to identify the specifics that you then need to learn to build your desired project.

Addicted Member

Thank to being the part of it.

So JMC you mean that first I need to learn some Java basics and then after that I should move on to Android development. But tell me that do you have something in your signature regarding java? Or suggest me some java's signature?

Quote Originally Posted by colrh View Post
    But tell me that do you have something in your signature regarding java? Or suggest me some java's signature?
    I've done very little with Java and none at all for quite some time so I can't offer too much specific information. The C# and VB.NET tutorial links in my signature below both lead to Home & Learn though, and they have tutorials for both Java and Android, so that's probably a good place to start.