Thread: [RESOLVED] Notification Emails VBForums rejected

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Notification Emails VBForums rejected

Name:  TrackDelivery.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  93.9 KB

Something has changed. Not sure where - could be VBForums or my web/email hosting. Per the heading, I have stopped receiving email notifications from VBForums.

I checked my cPanel-Emails-Track Delivery for the when the delivery problem started. Per attached, Apr 22, 2018 was the last email I received. Apr 27, 2018 was the first email rejected.

Am I the only one not receiving emails?
    Last edited by chosk; May 10th, 2018 at 10:46 PM.

Sinecure devotee

Re: Notification Emails VBForums rejected

Perhaps you just need to add the Sender Address to the "Approved Senders" list, or is it not that simple?
    The Spam Score was 0.8 before, perhaps it ticked past some threshold.

Hyperactive Member

I can add VBForum to the SpamAssassin whitelist. However, I dont know which will happen first - sender verification or whitelist. I can try. If I am the only one affected then this may or may not solve "my" problem. If there are others also having this problem, then VBForums may have to rectify this.

Spam score has nothing to do with this. Spam score is per email basis and will not trigger the Sender Verify error. It will also not trigger a domain blacklist.
    Last edited by chosk; May 11th, 2018 at 08:44 AM.

VBForum has made no changes.

Hyperactive Member

Thank you for your reply, Steve.

Name:  2018-05-12_075306.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  65.1 KB

BTW, whitelisting does not work. Email notification for post by Steve was rejected for same reason. I tested sending an email to the forum email address to test that it exists and it came back error.

If my web/email hosting has changed to ensure sender email address exist before accepting, then it is a good thing for me in that a lot of spams by email spoofing will not get through. the downside is that I will not get legit notifications from VBForums. I will live with it.

Edit to add:
    I am not suggesting that the forums use spoofing. NO, I am not. But that the setup is that the forums email address may not be verified by receiving email servers for whatever reason.
    Last edited by chosk; May 11th, 2018 at 07:14 PM.

In your first post, the Delivery IP for the Accepted message is different from the Delivery IP for the Failed message.

You blanked out the delivery address and domain, so we don't know what service you are using to receive the e-mails. If you are using your own mail server, then you should be able to fix this. If you are using SpamAssassin, you could try temporarily turning that OFF, then update a vbForums post that you have set to notify you to see if you get a notification e-mail. Otherwise, we need more details on your e-mail provider or service(s) that you are using to help with diagnosis of this issue.

Hyperactive Member

I blanked out my email address and domain name to prevent spam harvesting by spammers which is still commonly done. There is nothing there to suggest otherwise. I am using email server set up by cPanel as part of my hosting package.

After Steve' reply, I take it as my webhosting company has implemented this new anti-spam measure provided by cPanel. I am happy they did because I can see that I am no longer receiving spams with spoof email address. I am also checking my cPanel Track Delivery to make sure I am not missing normal emails and I am not.

I will live with the side-effect here and will mark this thread as resolved.