dcsimg

Frenzied Member

cursor type and ADO

i'm working with vb 6 and ADO.

Database Access.

I join a Access table with a linked Teradata table.

the join is F1 (access table)<>F2 (Teradata table)

F1 is indexed
    F2 no

With a simple select without any type of Cursortype the extraction of recordset is very very slow...

Tips to make fast....

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: cursor type and ADO

I'm not surprised it's slow. a join based on an inequality is basically producing a Cartesian product - i.e. it's multiplying the two tables. Are you sure that's the dataset you want because it's likely to be HUGE? Perhaps if you could describe what you're trying to achieve we might be able to suggest a better approach.

Assuming it is what you want I'd have thought the obvious tip would be to index F2, though I'm not sure how much good that'll do because, if the tables are on different platforms, I doubt either platform will be able to build an execution plan that accounted for the others indexes.

Would it be possible to import one sides data into the other side, index it there and then query against both tables in the same database? That would give you a fighting chance of getting an execution plan that uses available indexes. There are potential concurrency issues with this, though, unless you lock both sides for the duration of the operation which may not be desirable.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Left join and filter via null ?
    Add an index to the teradata (assuming you are allowed to)

--

edit: or you mean you are looking for differences in the same record ?

BOFH Now, BOFH Past, Information on duplicates

Feeling like a fly on the inside of a closed window (Thunk!)
    If I post a lot, it is because I am bored at work! ;D Or stuck...
    * Anything I post can be only my opinion. Advice etc is up to you to persue...

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ecniv View Post
    Add an index to the teradata (assuming you are allowed to)

--

edit: or you mean you are looking for differences in the same record ?
    Not completlly understand....
    simple sql example, please

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Explain to us what you're trying to achieve. If it really is an non-equal join then what you've done is correct but this would be an unusual requirement and likely to be slow. So explain to us what you're trying to achieve and we'll try to point you in the right direction.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd