dcsimg

Question Next step after phonegap

I've recently tried phonegap and so far it has been able to meet my needs but I am just wondering if there is a 'better' alternative out there. I've came across posts about this react native, will it be better to invest time to study it or just stick to phonegap?
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: Next step after phonegap

I thought PhoneGap was called cordova now ?

anyway there is no simple answer to this, React Native is based upon the JavaScript React framework for web, i had a quick look at it and its a declarative language and so feels a bit weird to use, so there would be a learning curve (if you've not used react before) there in which you would need to get used to the framework.

However React appears to compile basically to a native app (from what i could see) and so it looks like its a viable Native Mobile app option, and cross platform at that which is a big deal as you can see from the below. Only Xamarin really do cross platform currently and no-one would say they do a really great job of it

If you want to write Native mobile apps then your options are as far as i know anyway;

- React (cross platform)

- Xamarin (Xamarin Forms is Cross Platform, or you have Xamarin Android / Xamarin IOS)

- B4A / B4X (Basic For android / Basic For OSX)

- Objective C / Swift (Apple only)

- Android Studio (Java ,C++ , Kotlin) - Android Only
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Update:

Dee-u it looks like i might be creating a test app in React Native for my work to compare it to the Xamarin project we did earlier in the year. From the reading i have done it sound like it might be easier to use than Xamarin, and Quicker, and so it will be interesting to get that direct comparison for myself.

I will post back once i have done my test project which will probably be within the next few weeks dependant on other work !
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post

- B4A / B4X (Basic For android / Basic For OSX)
    I think B4X is the name they use to cover all of their tools the one for iOS is B4i and of course B4A for Android they also have B4J [Java] and another for Windows mobile though not sure what it is called nor if it is still in production.