dcsimg

Question Reporting options for web-based app

I have only tried tcpdf but it is somewhat slow in generating the reports, and I am not sure if it is robust enough (can handle subreports, etc). Any alternatives you can recommend?
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

King of sapila

Re: Reporting options for web-based app

Depends. We are using Crystal Reports here but is relatively slow and is asp.net.
    Haven't used something for pure HTML as I only used reporting on companies I work and is mostly winforms based.
    We are also using telerik but not their reporting tool. Seem interesting but you have to pay for the full features. I would not recommend any Devexpress web.Correction, I would not recommend Devexpress until their 2015 release, after that I haven't been using anything web based by them.
    Slow as hell.

Thanks, I'm hoping others would chime in, I am seriously considering moving into web-based apps but I am reluctant due to the lack of robust and fast reporting tool available.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

I've had my own home grown solution for report generation even prior to VB6. That report generator got super feature rich during the decade I had of VB6 coding.

When I first went web-based I initially had this VB6 report generator run via .Bat files created via back-end services that watched for requests from my web app to produce a report. And I used garbage like CutePDF to render output to a .PDF file on the web server.

Now I've actually ported the report generator from VB6 to .Net and it runs right on the web server - I get a "POST" for a report and just start creating it. I use the PDFSharp library to directly create the .PDF instead of a printer-driver like CutePDF. And it's really fast.

I've often thought about sharing that report generator code. Maybe it's time to start an open-source project.

Below is basically the language that drives the report generation. I had at one time, over a decade ago, thought of writing a .Net WYSIWYG editor for this - so you could live in a Crystal-like UI creating the reports. I've become so fluent in report creation that I never finished that project. Would be nice to do it in a web app now! Maybe it's time to open source this. Do you want to see some of the more complicated possibilities? It does IF statements - sub-reports - labels - side-by-side stuff. Draws lines and boxes - does color and shading.

Code:
    [{"What": "Landscape"}
    ,{"What": "Font", "Setting": "Times New Roman"}
    ,{"What": "FontBold", "Setting": true}
    ,{"What": "Fontsize", "Value": 10}
    ,{"What": "Date"}
    ,{"What": "Fontsize", "Value": 17}
    ,{"What": "Column without CR", "XPos": 5300, "Column": 10}
    ,{"What": "Fontsize", "Value": 10}
    ,{"What": "Page", "XPos": 14000}
    ,{"What": "Skip to line", "Value": 2}
    ,{"What": "Item without CR", "XPos": 6800, "Item": "Town of xxxxxxxx"}
    ,{"What": "Skip to line", "Value": 4}
    ,{"What": "Query line"}
    ,{"What": "Skip to line", "Value": 6}
    ,{"What": "FontBold", "Setting": false}
    ,{"What": "Item without CR", "XPos": 0, "Item": "Account"}
    ,{"What": "Item without CR", "XPos": 1500, "Item": "Account / Transaction Description"}
    ,{"What": "Item without CR", "XPos": 10000, "Item": "Trans Date"}
    ,{"What": "Item without CR", "XPos": 11200, "Item": "Ref #"}
    ,{"What": "Item without CR", "XPos": 12500, "Item": "Debit Amt"}
    ,{"What": "Item with CR", "XPos": 13800, "Item": "Credit Amt"}
    ,{"What": "Skip to line", "Value": 9}
    ,{"What": "Draw line"}
    ,{"What": "Header Control", "Size": 47}
    ,{"What": "Column without CR", "XPos": 0, "Column": 7}
    ,{"What": "Column without CR", "XPos": 1500, "Column": 1}
    ,{"What": "Column without CR", "XPos": 10000, "Column": 2}
    ,{"What": "Column without CR", "XPos": 11200, "Column": 3}
    ,{"What": "Column (numeric) without CR"}
    ,{"What": "Column (numeric) with CR"}
    ]

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I forgot to upload an image of the printed report - here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images  

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Lively Member

That's awesome! I can't believe no one replied to this. You mentioned open-sourcing it. I say yes, please! I'd especially like to see the VB6 code released. We have some great Classic VB6 coders who could give it a new life.