dcsimg

Thread: Recovering a back up

Recovering a back up

Please forgive me for posting in the wrong place. I am new to the board and I don't see where in the FAQ or anywhere else it explains how to post a new thread.

I am with a non-profit group, Chapman Forest Foundation, which worked successfully to save a 2,200 acre forest less than an hour south of Washington DC. It has over two miles of Potomac River shoreline and was about to be built into an edge city. We are working still to protect it.

I backed up a windows computer in 1999. I am writing a book about the preservation of Chapman Forest, for our organization. If I can restore the backup, I will get much needed data. Most important: Eudora files; second most, Word files.

I do not know what software was used to make the backup. The computer it was done on is long gone. There are companies that will get the data, but they want more $ than we can pay.

Given these obstacles, can anyone advise me, help me, solve this problem? I am wondering if I could buy and old drive, somehow connect it to a computer I have or have access to, somehow determine what software was used to backup the old computer, and get access to the files. The tape itself is a TR-3 EXtra. It has been kept in good conditions all this time, and it was only used once, to make this back up. Can anybody help, if only by sending me in the right direction?

Fanatic Member

Re: Recovering a back up

What are the folder and file names on the tape? That would provide clues to what software made the backup. Or by "buy and [sic] old drive" you mean you don't have a tape drive that will read the tape either? If that's the case, yes, you need a working tape drive for that type of tape first and hope the tape can still be read. Perhaps find someone local with such a drive.

Quote Originally Posted by topshot View Post
    What are the folder and file names on the tape? That would provide clues to what software made the backup. Or by "buy and [sic] old drive" you mean you don't have a tape drive that will read the tape either? If that's the case, yes, you need a working tape drive for that type of tape first and hope the tape can still be read. Perhaps find someone local with such a drive.
    I have been looking for a device to buy. one capable of reading the TR-3-EXtra format, and i am waiting for a call back from someone who may have one. I do not have a tape drive, or the machine I had in 1999
    . Would a windows 7 machine be able to read from a device with an old kind of port - like, is there some kind of adapted or interface between SCSI or parallel port to USB? And although I want just data files, what I backed up was probably the whole computer. Could that go onto a windows 7 machine?

Frenzied Member

For software that can read the tape, check out the link below:

http://www.biochem.ucl.ac.uk/~martin/tapes.html

You can get a USB to parallel port adaptor.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.zQuDxGnXnBU

You may also be able to get a USB to SCSI adapter.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.5XRnGO3x2QU

I have not tried these with a tape drive, so I don't know how or if they would work.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by alexbill View Post
    Would a windows 7 machine be able to read from a device with an old kind of port - like, is there some kind of adapted or interface between SCSI or parallel port to USB? And although I want just data files, what I backed up was probably the whole computer. Could that go onto a windows 7 machine?
    You could dump the whole backup onto your current drive if you have the free space. I'd guess the 99 drive was pretty small by today's standards. You DON'T want the restore software to overwrite anything of course, but to just extract the files into a folder of your choosing.

As for the hardware interface, if you can't find a tape drive with an interface your current motherboard supports (e.g., IDE, parallel port, etc.) then it appears you'll need to try an adapter as jdc suggested.

I think your biggest problem will be Win 7 drivers rather than the interface.