Thread: Windows 10 has turned into a zombie after April [FOOLS] update

Windows 10 has turned into a zombie after April [FOOLS] update

The update windows calls "the April update" which was actually released to majority of "advance users" May 1, and not available mainstream via the auto update until next week, has turned my computer into a zombie. I am not kidding at the context of the name either. It is like they vacationed or was out of the office the entire month of April and slapped the release in a couple of hours with no care or testing. I read several articles where others are experiencing like issues as myself, with application hangups, mouse just not working and the entire machine becoming unresponsive (I refer to it as lag). They claim to be fixing the issues connected to Chrome and other hang ups, but this will be gulp another week of constantly having to refresh my screen (thank god I read the article didn't realize Microsoft did something right after all these years of having to manually reboot)

Anyone else having the same experience OR did you update your machine and NOT have any of the hangups and issues? And more importantly theoretically what is causing the hangups? I read through most of the update log what they publically post anyways and it didn't really seem a lot of things they added or even removed would cause such issues.
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

Re: Windows 10 has turned into a zombie after April [FOOLS] update

I've updated my desktop and Surface Pro without any real issues. Logging in via Windows Hello was a bit weird for about a day but that seemed to right itself and haven't had any other issues to speak of.

Unfortunately, Microsoft does not do any significant amount of testing on updates these days. That is a job for the users.

Links to potential issues:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...es-on-your-pc/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...chrome-issues/

That is how I found out they knew about it, but I was just wondering how many were experiencing similar issues other than what media sources were reporting

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

The one Windows 10 PC that I have doesn't get updates, and wouldn't get feature updates in any case, so I do not know. I will be checking on some other PCs (not mine) in the near future to see what issues they may have. I will post an update if I find out about anything.

PowerPoster

Pretty sure that I got the update April 30th when it was made available to the general public.

No real issues here aside from the usual nuisance where these updates delete shortcuts to or even remove a very few "obsolete applications." I just create new shortcuts or reinstall. No big deal.

I don't use an overpriced Microsoft Dufus laptop so I haven't had to face Windows Hello (pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I don't use an overpriced Microsoft Dufus laptop so I haven't had to face Windows Hello (pun intended).
    It's cute that you think that Surface is the only PC that uses Windows Hello. Loads of laptops from various OEMs have Hello-capable cameras built in and I bought a developer edition from Intel to use with my desktop. Not to mention that fact that fingerprint recognition uses Hello these days too.

How hard is it to reverse a windows update on windows 10, can someone tell me what happens in the process I am tired of the trouble I am having with the update and want a stable system.

PowerPoster

Isn't there a 30-day "undo" option on these updates?

PowerPoster

In case you missed it, there is a new feature in 1803 that may be welcomed by many.

In addition to being able to throttle ("Delivery Optimization") the bandwidth used for background downloading of updates you can now also set a limit on foreground downloads as well.

I retired a while ago and as part of adjusting the budget I dropped to a cheaper tier of bandwidth.

The last two "feature updates" pretty much killed Internet access during their download phase. Sure, anything strictly within the LAN ran fine but most of today's lard-laden (umpteen different versions of jQuery, glbos of additional script, embedded video, usury advertising in general stealing your expensive bandwidth to profit the fatcats) web pages dragged like molasses in January.

Being able to throttle delivery should alleviate that for anyone connected to the Internet over barbed wire.

Sadly, that is the one I am referring to. The latest update is build 1803 it is responsible for causing this havoc. Supposedly there is a fix rolling out on the 8th gonna play it out as I always have a iffy feeling using roll back buttons. They usually are responsible for nuking users saved data docs etc. Side off topic note not sure where you are located but, you could try a different provider to get a better deal and better bandwidth like you had. entirely depends on location etc.

Microsoft Rolled out an Update on May 8th, that repaired the issues I mentioned before and articles posted here referred to, I am going to request the thread be closed as it is irrelevant now, and don't think it would be wise to keep posting about an old update.

HA! Something irrelevant in Chit-Chat???? EVERYTHING in Chit-Chat is irrelevant.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Pretty sure that I got the update April 30th when it was made available to the general public.

No real issues here aside from the usual nuisance where these updates delete shortcuts to or even remove a very few "obsolete applications." I just create new shortcuts or reinstall. No big deal.

Wait you consider updates removing shortcuts and uninstalling your programs to be just a nuisance, no big deal?? I'm starting to think you'd still being singing Win10's praises if MS sold access to your Documents folder to the highest bidder and autoplayed fullscreen unclosable 3rd party ads for Erectidine® pills and ChatWithHotWomenThatWantToDoYou.Com
    Last edited by fafalone; May 14th, 2018 at 04:35 AM.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Wait you consider updates removing shortcuts and uninstalling your programs to be just a nuisance, no big deal??
    Kinda depends what "obsolete applications" means. If it refer to bits of the Windows OS that have been surpassed then, <shrug>, why would I care? As long as I've got an equivalent or better I couldn't care less if they prune some of the old stuff. If I haven't been provided with an equivalent or better (and I do mean Equivalent or Better, not "cut down" or "streamlined"), or if it refers to stuff that's outside the scope of the OS (e.g. old versions of office or winzip or something) then.. yeah... that'd definitely grate my danglies.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I just got the update on one system this last weekend...and maybe part of it on another system? Heck if I know. It didn't seem to impact anything in any way that I could tell, other than the "great new things" message that popped up when I first started it. I looked through those "great new things", and was unmoved. The ability to change the color of sticky notes is pretty obvious. Anybody who uses sticky notes tends to go nuts when given different color notes, so this should make for colorful....note taking.

PowerPoster

The things new Windows 10 version installs mess with are (1.) Start Menu shortcuts to the October 2001 MSDN Library top-level CHM Help document and (2.) Sidebar Gadgets.

As far as I can tell most members here are illiterate copy/paste coders who never use the documentation anyway, and even fewer used the Sidebar when it was on by default in Windows Vista.

Pretty minimal impact overall I'd say, and hardly reasons to pretend that Windows 10 is the CloverField Monster.

PowerPoster

(1) is something you installed yourself, so yeah deleting shortcuts to it is a big deal, and (2) doesn't sound so obsolete that no one is going to really miss it; that's not some obscure exe deep in windir.

But yeah those aren't reasons to pretend that Windows 10 is the CloverField Monster... now the advertisements, updating, telemetry, settings resets, the fraudulent and forced way most people got it installed on the other hand... actually more like that alien queen from ID4: Resurgence.

Get used to it: We're on the internet, using a site that exists by selling our eyeballs to advertisers. Most people are using phones that track their every move, and/or are at least as intrusive as Win 10 with Cortana. Loads of people are also on FaceBook, which is explicitly selling you to advertisers.

This is the revenue stream we have all agreed to: Give up privacy for the sake of convenience. The vast majority of the US is completely fine with that. The Brits may be even MORE fine with that. We whine about it, occasionally, but Facebook is doing fine, Android is doing fine, Apple is pretending to greater privacy, but people aren't flocking to them BECAUSE of that (and whether it is real or pretense is hard to say).

We can't suddenly be surprised that large companies expect us to part with privacy at a mouse click. We've eagerly agreed to it for a couple decades, to greater or lesser extents. We have agreed to be advertised to in lieu of paying for services that we use. That's the way society has gone, and companies are just responding to that.

In the case of Microsoft, they have gotten clobbered repeatedly because people wouldn't keep their systems patched and up to date. So, with Win10, they just decided not to give people the choice. I, personally, have no problem with that aspect of it. We SHOULD keep system patched, or else we become prey for our vulnerabilities. What else they do? Turn off what you can, if you want, but don't come to an ad-driven forum and complain about giving up your privacy: You've already cast your vote just by being here.

PowerPoster

I'm more than fine with the tradeoff of privacy & ads for free apps and websites. General purpose operating systems on the other, well that's something entirely different, especially now that MS is charging for it. Do you really not see a difference between a website and the dominant OS? Or in tactics? Does VBForums go out of its way to evade browser settings that enhance privacy? If I enable the Profile Privacy settings, do you periodically reset them? And that's after the point that there's a fundamental distinction between what's ok for free apps/websites/appliance electronics, and a paid commercial dominant operating system... to say because I visit ad-supported websites I should neccessarily be ok with Win10, bro that's bonkers

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I personally find the whole thing pretty depressing.

There's a saying we're all probably sick of by now: "If you're not paying you're the product". I think that's wrong and it should simply read "You're the product". Paying does not protect you from this in any way and hasn't for a long time.

I don't particularly blame the companies. They're merely carrying out their imperative which is to make as much money for their share holders as possible. Read the terms of incorporation and you'll find they're not just motivated to do so, they're legally obliged to. If they can commoditize you, they will. If they can charge you while they're doing it, they will do that too.

I don't blame the consumer either. It's easy to excuse the situation by saying we can choose not to use the product or service they provide but it's really a false choice. You can choose not to use facebook. You can choose not to use Windows. You can choose not have a mobile phone, drive a modern car, shop online, hold a bank account, have a job, get an education, visit a doctor... You can choose to go off grid entirely. But honestly, that's not really a choice that's feasible to most of us, but that's what it would take in todays society if you wanted to avoid "being a product". The choice to not engage is a myth.

And don't tell me I'm getting the advantage of a free service unless you're going to offer me a premium private alternative. Last time I looked QuinStreet weren't offering that. Neither were Facebook or Microsoft or any of the other players. You no longer have the option to purchase your own privacy because nobody is interested in selling it to you. You're data is worth far more.

I genuinely don't know who to blame for this. Which means I don't know what to fix either.

Yep, pretty depressing.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; May 16th, 2018 at 05:22 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    I'm more than fine with the tradeoff of privacy & ads for free apps and websites. General purpose operating systems on the other, well that's something entirely different, especially now that MS is charging for it. Do you really not see a difference between a website and the dominant OS? Or in tactics? Does VBForums go out of its way to evade browser settings that enhance privacy? If I enable the Profile Privacy settings, do you periodically reset them? And that's after the point that there's a fundamental distinction between what's ok for free apps/websites/appliance electronics, and a paid commercial dominant operating system... to say because I visit ad-supported websites I should neccessarily be ok with Win10, bro that's bonkers
    I'm not saying I'm thrilled with it, I'm saying that the US population has voted, and MS is just reacting to that vote. The dominant OS on all mobile devices is even more intrusive, and it's STILL the dominant OS, even though there are alternatives. We showed that we will take it, so don't be surprised when someone gives it.

PowerPoster

How many have stumbled upon the SSH client and server we got with 1709 as optional beta components? Those are now more finished, and the clients install by default in 1803.

Code:
     Directory of C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH

04/11/2018  06:25 PM    <DIR>          .
    04/11/2018  06:25 PM    <DIR>          ..
    03/19/2018  01:10 PM           229,888 scp.exe
    03/19/2018  01:10 PM           297,472 sftp.exe
    03/19/2018  01:10 PM           439,296 ssh-add.exe
    03/19/2018  01:10 PM           353,792 ssh-agent.exe
    03/19/2018  01:10 PM           551,936 ssh-keygen.exe
    03/19/2018  01:10 PM           476,160 ssh-keyscan.exe
    03/19/2018  01:10 PM           752,640 ssh.exe
    What’s new for the Command Line in Windows 10 version 1803
    Last edited by dilettante; May 18th, 2018 at 11:19 PM.

PowerPoster

More (tar and curl):

Code:
    C:\Users\GDev1>tar /?
    Usage:
      List:    tar -tf <archive-filename>
      Extract: tar -xf <archive-filename>
      Create:  tar -cf <archive-filename> [filenames...]
      Help:    tar --help

C:\Users\George>tar --help
    tar(bsdtar): manipulate archive files
    First option must be a mode specifier:
      -c Create  -r Add/Replace  -t List  -u Update  -x Extract
    Common Options:
      -b #  Use # 512-byte records per I/O block
      -f <filename>  Location of archive (default \\.\tape0)
      -v    Verbose
      -w    Interactive
    Create: tar -c [options] [<file> | <dir> | @<archive> | -C <dir> ]
      <file>, <dir>  add these items to archive
      -z, -j, -J, --lzma  Compress archive with gzip/bzip2/xz/lzma
      --format {ustar|pax|cpio|shar}  Select archive format
      --exclude <pattern>  Skip files that match pattern
      -C <dir>  Change to <dir> before processing remaining files
      @<archive>  Add entries from <archive> to output
    List: tar -t [options] [<patterns>]
      <patterns>  If specified, list only entries that match
    Extract: tar -x [options] [<patterns>]
      <patterns>  If specified, extract only entries that match
      -k    Keep (don't overwrite) existing files
      -m    Don't restore modification times
      -O    Write entries to stdout, don't restore to disk
      -p    Restore permissions (including ACLs, owner, file flags)
    bsdtar 3.3.2 - libarchive 3.3.2 zlib/1.2.5.f-ipp

C:\Users\GDev1>
    Example, zip/unzip:

Code:
    D:\>tar -cvzf new.zip junk
    a junk
    a junk/Nonsense.txt
    a junk/Stuff.txt

D:\>del junk\*.*
    D:\junk\*.*, Are you sure (Y/N)? y

D:\>rmdir junk

D:\>tar -xf new.zip

D:\>dir junk
     Volume in drive D is Data Large
     Volume Serial Number is C6F6-C37F

Directory of D:\junk

05/21/2018  01:06 PM    <DIR>          .
    05/21/2018  01:06 PM    <DIR>          ..
    05/21/2018  01:06 PM            10,558 Nonsense.txt
    05/21/2018  01:05 PM            12,252 Stuff.txt
                   2 File(s)         22,810 bytes
                   2 Dir(s)  676,007,194,624 bytes free

D:\>

PowerPoster

We also have the libarchive library (system32/archiveint.dll) now.

Probably all nuisance CDECL calls but sooner or later somebody will write a typelib and/or wrapper class to make it easier to consume.