ucShellTree v2.7
    Released 25 January 2022
    Name:  ucst-1.jpg
Views: 3053
Size:  33.5 KBName:  ucst-2.jpg
Views: 3186
Size:  27.5 KB

About
    Designed for navigating the Windows Shell, like my recent Shell Browser Control, ucShellBrowse. This UserControl shows an Explorer-style TreeView of the entire shell, descended from the Desktop like normal. It's very similar to the INamespaceTreeControl in functionality and features, but a manual implementation allows a few extras that aren't available, like automatically handled tri-state checkboxes and open-to-path, and the ability to implement further customizations.

Key Features
    • Displays complete Explorer-type tree with either Desktop, Computer, or a custom path as the root folder.
    • Tri-state checkboxes show partial selections when check mode is enabled, 4th state with red x is available as an option.
    • Supports drag/drop with modern drag images and drag-over-highlighting (including expanding on hover), based on my cDropTarget project. Can drop on all valid drop targets: folders, zip files, programs, shortcuts to them, etc.
    • Right-click shows the standard Explorer context menu for the clicked item
    • Automatically monitors for changes (item created, deleted, renamed) and updates the tree accordingly.
    • Option to show files as well
    • Can automatically expand to a given path.
    • InfoTips with several lines of details depending on file type are shown as ToolTips
    • Filter option can limit the type of files displayed (or even folders)
    • Can rename in place using LabelEdit
    • Can (optionally) treat .zip/.cab files as a folder
    • Optional additional root entry for 'Favorites' that shows the Links folder.
    • Browses the Network folder too and returns paths as \\Share\etcetc
    • Complete Unicode support

Requirements
    -Windows Vista or newer
    -oleexp 4.42 or higher (not needed once compiled into OCX)

Strongly recommended: Common Controls 6.0 Manifest (see here). The Demo projects have a manifest added for when they're compiled, but the IDE and your own projects will need their own. The control works without it, but I haven't fully explored what other things might break without it. This paragraph previously mentioned checkbox issues--- there's no partial checkboxes or exclusion checkboxes but the project now gets the checkboxes from Windows rather than its own, so normal unthemed checks are fine.

DemoSB: In the DemoSB folder, there's a project that shows the use of ucShellTree with my ucShellBrowse control. This requires ucShellBrowse to be present in the same root as ucShellTree (e.g. C:\vb6\ucShellBrowse and C:\vb6\ucShellBrowse). You can also see this done in the DemoEx sample in the ucShellBrowse download.

Compiling to OCX
    It's very simple to use the control as an OCX: Open ShellTree.vbp from the main folder, double-click ucShellTree.ctl in the project explorer (under UserControls), and in the properties for the control, change Public to True, you can then compile. Then proceed to move, register, and use as you would any other .ocx.
    UPDATE: A project with the OCX requires oleexp.tlb if you want to respond to any event with an IShellItem or IShellItemArray member. I'm sorry for providing inaccurate information about the need to include it in the past.

The demo projects use the control as a .ctl.

Works with ucShellBrowse
    (Optional -- You can of course use this control by itself without the presence of ucShellBrowse)
    This project is similar to my recent ucShellBrowse control, and indeed if you prefer a TreeView to the dropdown for navigation, this control works seamlessly with it-- since it can be put into FilesOnly mode. There's a demo project of this setup in the \DemoSB folder (ucShellBrowse DL'd separate, grab the latest version from the ucShellBrowse project thread -- which has its own version of the demo in DemoEx).
    Name:  ucst-3.jpg
Views: 2814
Size:  87.5 KB
    There's even an optional feature for seamless integration with the layout options. The ShellTreeInLayout option in ucShellBrowse adds a menu item to allow the user to toggle the ShellTree control (by raising the ShowShellTree event, notifying you to show or hide it) from the ShellBrowse control's layout menu:
    Name:  ucst-4.jpg
Views: 2819
Size:  51.0 KB

Recent Updates
    UPDATE - 25 Jan 2022
    -Project updated to 2.7.
    Code:
    -Added ShowHiddenItems/ShowSuperHidden options

-Added EnableShellMenu option to control whether the right-click menu pops up.

-Added SetFocusOnTree method.

-Added public event for UserControl_EnterFocus and UserControl_ExitFocus (EnterFocus
     and ExitFocus, respectively).

-(Bug fix) Keyboard focus never went to ucTreeView when on a form with ucShellBrowse.
    UPDATE - 03 April 2021
    Project updated to v2.6. Small update to address a bug in OCX builds, add Select/Click events with IShellItem references, remove the need to track a variable when combined with ucShellBrowse for directory changes (bChanging in the demos), and add a SelectNone sub to deselect.

Code:
    'v2.6 (Released 03 Apr 2021)
    '
    '-Eliminated the need to use a variable to keep tracking of dir change operations when
    ' combining this control with a ucShellBrowse control; previously you'd handle a path
    ' change notification from the browser with
    ' If bChanging = False Then
    '    bChanging = True
    '    ucShellTree1.OpenToItem siItem, False
    '    bChanging = False
    ' End If
    ' Now you no long need the bChanging variable.
    '
    '-Added SelectNone sub, which will clear all selected items (supports multiselect).
    '
    '-Added ItemSelectByShellItem event. I wanted to just include an IShellItem member in
    ' ItemSelect, but the backwards compatibility concerns are too great. This event will
    ' also include all the information of ItemSelect if you want to fully switch over.
    '-Did the same for ItemClick->ItemClickByShellItem
    '
    '-For MultiSelect, added the MultiSelectChange event, which includes an IShellItemArray
    ' of selected items as well as a name list and full path list
    '
    '-(Bug fix) Using On Error Resume Next to handle an uninitialized array in the Terminate
    '           event caused the control to freeze on compile or on run after changes if
    '           you were using it as an OCX.
    UPDATE - 09 December 2020
    Project updated to v2.5 R2 - Critical bug fix; when navigating in the Network folder via OpenToItem (usually from a ShellBrowse control), and potentially other non-standard locations, if the folder wasn't manually expanded, automatic expansion would error out and not expand.

Project updated to v2.5. Unbelievably, the control never had BackColor/ForeColor options. Those have been added. Also added a full RefreshTreeView function. Previously there was ResetTreeView, which loaded the initial state. But RefreshTreeView will now rebuild all the folders you had open before the Refresh. Also fixed a mobile device bug.

While you're at it, check out the update to ucShellBrowse on the same day as this--- it lets you integrate the two much more closely:

UPDATE - 20 September 2020
    Project updated to v2.4 in order to eliminate all non-explicit types defined in the TLB. These would cause a show-stopping conflict if the control was used in a project that had any of these as a Public Type, or in a project with them defined in another TLB if it was a higher priority. Also, added AlwaysShowExtendedVerbs option; these are no longer shown by default in the Shell Context Menu, you need to hold Shift when bringing up the menu if this option is False.

NEW! I'm also now distributing ucShellBrowse and ucShellTree together as a compiled OCX, complete with SxS resources to create registration-free distributions.

[VB6] Shell Controls OCX
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by fafalone; Jan 25th, 2022 at 05:09 PM. Reason: New version released!

PowerPoster

Re: [VB6] ucShellTree: Full-featured Shell Tree UserControl

Known Issues
    • There's an issue that when Autocheck = True and ExclusionChecks = False, items that are partially checked (formerly, gray check), are listed as checked in .CheckPaths. To fix, in the WndProc (last function in the module), in the TVN_ITEMCHANGEDW block, the bolded branch should be added to the if-block at the bottom:

Code:
                      If (nmtvic.uStateNew And TVIS_STATEIMAGEMASK) = &H1000 Then
                          TVEntries(nmtvic.lParam).Checked = False
                          TVEntries(nmtvic.lParam).Excluded = False
                      ElseIf (nmtvic.uStateNew And TVIS_STATEIMAGEMASK) = &H2000 Then
                          DebugAppend "ItemCheck"
                          TVEntries(nmtvic.lParam).Checked = True
                          TVEntries(nmtvic.lParam).Excluded = False
                      ElseIf ((nmtvic.uStateNew And TVIS_STATEIMAGEMASK) = &H3000) And (mAutocheck = True) Then
                          If mExCheckboxes Then
                              TVEntries(nmtvic.lParam).Excluded = True
                          End If
                      ElseIf ((nmtvic.uStateNew And TVIS_STATEIMAGEMASK) = &H3000) And (mAutocheck = False) Then
                          DebugAppend "ItemExclude"
                      ElseIf (nmtvic.uStateNew And TVIS_STATEIMAGEMASK) = &H4000 Then
                      End If
    • Do not call the Public dbg_checkstyle sub; it's meant to be Private.
    Last edited by fafalone; Aug 18th, 2022 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Added known issue

Fafalone, Great code I must say. It works awesomely!
    However I have an issue that I do not understand fully.

I have taken your DEMO.VBP from the DEMO subfolder and added another startup form, named "Form2". On this "Form2" I just have a button that then loads your "Form1" as modal.
    When I close your "Form1", I expect that the Usercontrol_Terminate event would be called, however it does not get called until I close "Form2".

Typically when a form that hosts a Usercontrol unloads the Terminate event would get fired. Perhaps there are references left over but I cannot find any?

Can you offer any advise, it would be greatly appreciated.

PowerPoster

I can replicate what you're talking about, but I'm unsure of the cause. First thought was holding an open reference; but since the event isn't even firing cleanup doesn't even start. Other API-based CommonControl project I tested doesn't have this issue, so I'll have to study it further.
    Last edited by fafalone; Jan 30th, 2019 at 04:51 AM.

PowerPoster

ucShellTree 2.0 has been released!

This update brings in a number of new features in addition to some minor bugfixes. The partial checks/autochecking is now optional (and exclusion checks can be added), you can now specify any folder as the root, get/set checks by path, and more. Here's the full changelog:
    Code:
    'v2
    '
    '-You can now specify a custom folder as root*. Changeable during runtime.

'-Added PathGetCheck and PathSetCheck functions. The Set function also has an option to
    ' expand to show the given path in the event it's not yet visible.
    '
    '-The OpenToPath/OpenToItem functions now have an option to just expand to but not select
    ' the item, primarily for the check set function but available in general; default=select.
    '
    '-The .InitialPath property is deprecated. The creation sequence has changed, you can
    ' now just use OpenPath in your Form_Load (or equiv.) event. It remains for compatibility.
    '
    '-Added RootHasCheckbox option to set whether or not one appears (when checkboxes are enabled).
    '
    '-Added ExclusionChecks option, which adds an additional checkbox state- a red x. The .ExcludedPaths
    ' method functions in the same way as the .CheckedPaths method to retrieve paths in this state (they
    ' are not counted as checked).
    '
    '-Added ExplorerStyle option to allow control over whether the Explorer visual style is applied.
    '
    '-Added HorizontalScroll option, to set whether the tree expands without needed HScroll.
    '
    '-Adjusted the RootHasCheckbox option so that if it's changed at runtime, the correct state is set.
    '
    '-Changed disable criteria such that valid file drop targets are excepted from normal disabled prop
    ' list. This was mainly to get the Recycle Bin enabled since it's completely browsable. Other items
    ' remain disabled. (You can change this in TVExpandFolder if desired).
    '
    '-Added Autocheck option for control over whether partial checks are shown and whether parent and
    ' child items are automatically changed according to a new check action.
    '
    '-The control will now fall back to plain checkboxes if no Common Control 6 manifest is present, but
    ' all autocheck functionality is unavailable (even checking all children of a checked parent).
    ' Previously checkboxes were not present at all without a manifest.
    '
    '(Bug fix) The outer edge of the control on dragover indicated a droptarget on no item but
    '          seemingly valid; it now correctly shows no drop is possible.
    '
    '(Bug fix) Invalid (malformed/corrupt) shortcut files caused an error that wasn't handled, so
    '          the item enumeration when expanding a folder stopped when it reached it.
    '
    '(Bug fix) When you call GetParent on your user folder, you get the desktop instead of \Users\,
    '          this caused some issues with auto-navigating.
    '
    '(Control/code) So I thought you needed to supply your own check imagelist for partial checkboxes,
    '               since the extended style wasn't working, but it turned out the problem was just that
    '               you can't set the TVS_CHECKBOXES style; just TVS_EX_PARTIALCHECKBOXES. So the images
    '               have been removed, which eliminates transparency issues and will keep the appearance
    '               the same as the OS.
    '
    '-------
    '* - Technical note: This can be any path string/identifier resolvable by SHCreateItemFromParsingName

The terminate issue has been resolved, see this thread for details of how it was done (I'm using the fix Eduardo- worked out in post #5), or just update to the new version:

Version 2.1 has been released!

In addition to the bugfix that prompted bumping up the new release to tonight, there's several new features and other fixes (including to the Explorer-style issue from post #2 that was there forever). Here's the full changelog:
    Code:
    'v2.11 (Released 15 Feb 2019 - Critical bug fix only)
    '-(Bug fix) Previous fix regarding PathMatchSpecW resulted in always loading the Computer
    '           folder as root.
    '
    'v2.1 (Released 30 Jan 2019)
    '-The font for the TreeView is now a standard property. (Borrowed from Krool's
    ' TreeView. Thanks!)
    '
    '-Shell context menu tips are now passed in the StatusMessage event.
    '
    '-Filter now supports multiple patterns separated by semi-colon.
    '
    '-Replaced Border property with BorderStyle, which has several more options.
    '
    '-(Bug fix) If the control was on a secondary form, unloading that form did not unload
    '           the control, and it stayed loaded in the background until the whole program
    '           ended. Thanks to dz32 and Eduardo- for figuring out the solution.
    '
    '-(Bug fix) Fixed automatic navigation not expanding when a parent of a parent was
    '           collapsed; only the immediate parent was checked previously.
    '
    '-(Bug fix) Custom Roots were checked for validity with PathMatchSpecW, which does
    '           not support virtual locations. Now it's checked by going ahead and trying
    '           to create the IShellItem for it, allowing roots like ::{GUID}
    NOTE: ucShellBrowse, often a companion to this control, has the same bug where UserControl_Terminate doesn't fire. (EDIT: Both projects now have that fixed as of 2.1 for this control, 5.2 for ucShellBrowse)

UPDATE: 2.11 released for critical bug fix where Desktop could not be selected and the root.
    Last edited by fafalone; Oct 30th, 2019 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks to all involved here, added new changes, tested and all is fine now. Awesome work people.

Fafalone,

The unloading is now fixed, however the other big-fix around the PathMatchSpecW is causing other problems.

Here is your Demo v2.0:-
    Name:  v2-0.png
Views: 4118
Size:  15.0 KB
    You can see that the root is DESKTOP and it shows Libraries, Network.....etc

Now here is your Demo v2.1:-
    Name:  v2-1.png
Views: 4103
Size:  10.9 KB

You can ignore the difference with the checkboxes, but in the new one you can see that the root is now the COMPUTER, even though I have not supplied a custom root.

When there is no custom root and it goes into the Sub EnumRoot.... the following code, calling the SHCreateItemFromParsingName returns an siDesk item, so it then sets the bCustRt as True.
    However what it has returned is the Computer.

In v2.0 code it did the PathFileExistsW(StrPtr(mCustomRoot)) call which failed so it then went onto Call oleexp.SHCreateItemFromIDList(VarPtr(0&), IID_IShellItem, siDesk) which then returned the DESKTOP correctly.

Code:
    If mComputerAsRoot Then
        oleexp.SHGetKnownFolderItem FOLDERID_ComputerFolder, KF_FLAG_DEFAULT, 0&, IID_IShellItem, siDesk
    Else
        Set siDesk = Nothing
        oleexp.SHCreateItemFromParsingName StrPtr(mCustomRoot), Nothing, IID_IShellItem, siDesk
        If (siDesk Is Nothing) = False Then
            bCustRt = True
        Else
            Call oleexp.SHCreateItemFromIDList(VarPtr(0&), IID_IShellItem, siDesk)
        End If
        TVEntries(0).bDropTarget = True
    End If

Hope this makes sense, but as I said if you just run the new Demo against the old with no customer root, you should see the difference.

Fafalone,

I also noticed another issue when attempting to open the Tree to a UNC path.
    If the path was "\\server\FolderOne" for example.
    In v2.0 of the code it would end up crashing out with an Out of Stack Space error.
    It seemed to have an issue once it got the ROOT of this path which was "::{GUID}".
    It just seemed to loop around endlessly at this point and then fail.
    I assume this is what you had found and were trying to fix with the last changes you made relating to the custom Roots.

In v2.1 of the code it does not crash out, but it does not show the full tree either, and I presume because it is unaware of the NETWORK (see my earlier post).
    Let me know if you need a better example on this one.

Trev.

PowerPoster

Need more info with what you mean about network paths; opening while running or as root? I'm not seeing any issue loading network paths with either.

Will post more info on Monday, but if you set the code under the "OPENTO" button in the Demo to open to a path like "\\server\folderone" I would see the problems using v2.0 of the code.
    When it attempted to go back up the path to the root, it would get to a path of "::{GUID}" and then just get caught in a loop and eventually crash.

Fafalone,

Here is more information regarding Network paths, and the differences that we now have between 2.0 and 2.1 code, and the problem I faced with 2.0 code.

Scenario:-
    The Tree is loaded, no custom root has been offered so the root is being determined by the 2.1 code.
    We then issue a call to -
    Code:
    ucShellTree1.OpenToPath "\\server\nonbackup\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\Mykra", True

Here is the result from v2.1 code:-
    Name:  UCShell2-1.png
Views: 4276
Size:  11.7 KB

I have also attached the DEBUG trace output of the above.
    UCShellTree2-1 results.txt
    As you can see the Network branch is no longer shown in 2.1 and when OpenToPath is issued, all it does is just add the "Mykra" to the tree, with no parent, or expand folders.

Result from 2.0 code:-
    Name:  v2-0.png
Views: 4213
Size:  15.0 KB

No image after call to "OpenToPath" as it crashes with an "Out of Stack Space" error.
    The DEBUG trace file is attached, albeit shortened as it just keeps repeating.
    UCSHELLOUTPUT.txt

Details for the UNC path I am using.
    SERVER is the name of a file server I have.
    nonbackup is a shared folder on the server
    Folder1, Folder2, Folder3 and Mykra are just subfolders.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything further.

PowerPoster

Does fixing the first not fix the second, or had you not applied that change? (What I did was check mCustomPath wasn't blank). I've been really busy this week I'll update things tomorrow.

Adding the folder without a parent is by-design though; it was made for virtual locations that can be opened but don't have parents; so if a location is valid, but a parent can't be found, it inserts under the root. Once the 'Network' is back it will add under that.

Edit: Project updated to 2.11 to address Desktop not loading as root issue. If this doesn't fix the other issues too we can revisit but in the meantime I had to get a fix out for a bug that severe.
    Last edited by fafalone; Feb 15th, 2019 at 06:28 PM.

Will check again with new 2.11 code on Monday and come back to you. Thanks Fafalone.

Fafalone,

I can confirm that v2.11 resolves the missing Desktop.

I can also confirm that there is still just a very small issue with Network browsing (or any path for that matter, depending on the string value passed).

In my case my Network path still failed and hit your loop limit of 100, because the PATH used was "\\server\nonbackup\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\Mykra".
    The Function GetMapIdxByPath never found a match for the "server" because when it was populated into the TVVisMap it was in UPPERCASE, and we were passing it lowercase. Seems like all Network computers are returned UPPERCASE.

To resolve this I just adjusted this function as follows by adding in the UCASE$ statements.

Code:
    Private Function GetMapIdxByPath(sFullPath As String) As Long
    Dim i As Long

For i = 0 To UBound(TVVisMap)
            If UCase$(TVVisMap(i).sFullPath) = UCase$(sFullPath) Then
                GetMapIdxByPath = i
                Exit Function
            End If
        Next i
        GetMapIdxByPath = -1

End Function
    Please advise if there was a better way of handling this.

Thanks for this work Fafalone, the code is awesome.

PowerPoster

Yeah a lot of the directory matching things are case sensitive; I'll include that change in the next update.

You're welcome, always good to know projects are appreciated

Fafalone,

Further to my previous note about adding Ucase$ into the GetMapIdxByPath function, it should probably be also added to the GetNodeByPath function as well, like below:-

Code:
    Private Function GetNodeByPath(sFullPath As String) As Long
    Dim I As Long

For I = 0 To UBound(TVEntries)
            If UCase$(TVEntries(I).sFullPath) = UCase$(sFullPath) Then
                GetNodeByPath = TVEntries(I).hNode
                Exit Function
            End If
        Next I
        GetNodeByPath = -1

End Function
    Cheers.
    sabbath69

Fafalone,

I have discovered an issue with attempting to OpenPath to the User's DESKTOP folder.

If you attempt to "C:\Users\Trevor\DESKTOP" it will fail and not find anything in the TVNavigate sub.

Cheers!

PowerPoster

If you look down in TVNavigate, you'll see I had already encountered a similar bug; there's issues with properly returning the parent of user folder items.
    In the case of navigating to the desktop, it returns nothing for the parent of the desktop; which is generally true, as it's also the navigation root--- if you keep requesting parents you always wind up at the desktop.
    So here's a temporary fix, but I'm going to have to look into the possible consequences of sometimes treating it as root and sometimes not (although the root is internally defined as "0" so I'm hoping it's ok).

After the If idx > -1 block, not within it but after it, there's the statement
    si.GetParent siPar
    replace that line with the following
    Code:
    If sFull = sUserDesktop Then
        SHGetKnownFolderItem FOLDERID_Profile, KF_FLAG_DEFAULT, 0&, IID_IShellItem, siPar
    Else
        si.GetParent siPar
    End If
    All those vars/functions are already declared so that's the only change to make.

Fafalone,

I have a Feature Request. (or some guidance on how I could implement)

Another Tree control that I used to use, had a nice feature that was the ability to load/expand to a folder path without traversing all other folders. "Fast" mode if you like.
    This enabled great speed and removed some of the overhead of adding all other folders, but still gave the user the ability to expand any folder if they desired.

Example -
    Open to this folder = "\\server\NonBackup\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3"

Would produce this sort of result
    Name:  tree.png
Views: 3937
Size:  11.3 KB

As you can see the folders are listed and expanded, although they still have the "+" icon so they can be expanded by the user if desired.

I have tried to have a go myself at adding such a feature, but have struggled basing it on some of you existing routines.
    I can see how to add items, but cannot determine how to add a child item and have the Parent expanded, but still keep the "+" icon so that it thinks it is not expanded.

Do you think this you would be able to offer some advise on how I could get this added.

Thanks.
    sabbath69

PowerPoster

I'm familiar with what you're talking about. It's a good idea and I'll work on it; but it's going to need an entirely new autonavigate function, and might have to change the way the whole directory loading works. So can't put a timeframe on it.

PowerPoster

Project Updated
    ucShellTree v2.12
    This is a minor update to correct the Windows 10 Virtual Device Navigation Bug (Phones, cameras, etc, couldn't be browsed past the root, because of an API bug). The DemoSB project shows how change things so that ucShellTree and ucShellBrowse can navigate normally with these devices (ucShellBrowse must be passed an item instead of a path name).

If any problems persist, let me know, I've tested it best I can but you never know.

Technical Info
    Navigation in ucShellTree, and previously ucShellBrowse, was conducted by storing the full parsing path of each folder being displayed. Then when it was time to enumerate the next level, an IShellItem was requested using SHCreateItemFromParsingName. Attached USB media devices have crazy long technical names, but on Windows 7 these were resolved fine and the function succeeded. But the same circumstances and same string passed to the API on Windows 10, and it fails. So fallback navigation was added to store file/folder pidls, both the full pidl and the relative pidl, which can then be passed to SHCreateItemFromIDList which succeeds in returning our IShellItem interface.

Hyperactive Member

In the root folder for you v2.12 update you have a project which will compile to the OCX. However, in ShellTreeVBP there is line

ResFile32="ucst.res"

but that file does not exist in the zip file. It was not in version 2.11 either. Do we need that file or can we make our own .res file that just includes a manifest for the high dpi situation and use of CommonControls 6.0? Thanks.

PowerPoster

It's no longer used at all, just an oversight that I forgot to remove that reference, sorry about that.

Several versions ago it had multi-state checkbox images (grayed, red x) but then I realized I was just setting the style flags wrong and the system imagelist had those.

PowerPoster

Project Updated

Not sure what else I can add for a feature update, so figured I'd go ahead and release a small update to fix the two outstanding bugs.

Code:
    'v2.16 (Released 05 Mar 2020)
    '
    '-Made extended overlays, found in programs such as TortoiseSVN and Dropbox, a default-off
    ' option due to the extreme performance cost (a factor of 10-100).
    '
    'v2.15 (Released 19 Feb 2020)
    '
    '-(Bug fix) If a Private Enum defined in a UserControl had the same name as one that
    '           is defined in a module containing Sub Main, placing more than one of the
    '           UserControl in a project caused the control to be grayed out and then an
    '           app crash when any other control was initially added to the form.
    '           To fix this, all API enums in this control have been prefixed with ucsb_
    '           If you're modifying the code of this control, just keep that in mind.
    '           No change is needed for using this control or any other code as they're
    '           all Private.
    '
    '-(Bug fix) In ensuring a USB device is already added after OpenToItem, the GetNodeByPath
    '           function did not handle USB paths properly, so additional USB device entries
    '           were added to the tree.
    '
    'v2.14
    '
    '-(Bug fix) If a USB media device (phone, camera, etc-- no drive letter) was added after
    '           the program started, it could not be added to the TreeView-- there was some
    '           issue with an infinite loop where it kept finding the parent but not adding
    '           the child. I couldn't figure out where it was going wrong, so implemented a
    '           workaround where the control checks whether it's being asked to navigate to
    '           one of these devices, and if it is, manually ensures the device is added.
    '           After that, subfolder adding works fine, you can directly navigate to a deep
    '           path and all the subfolders will be added; the issue was just adding the
    '           device itself.
    '
    '-(Bug fix) The control uses the SHChangeNotifyRegister API without its own declare; there
    '           is a declare in the typelib, and since it wasn't declared explicitly, any
    '           Public version in a project module would take precedence, which sometimes
    '           caused Type Mismatch errors if the declare was slightly different.
    Also removed the dead reference from post #22/23

NEW UPDATE ON March 5th, 2020. Major performance boost.
    Last edited by fafalone; Mar 5th, 2020 at 01:40 AM.

PowerPoster

Project Updated - 05 March 2020
    Due to the extreme magnitude of the performance gain from the following issue, I went ahead and updated the project:

(Fixed in 2.16: Major performance issue) It turns out basically the entire reason ucShellTree is slow for large folders is querying for the overlay icons. It was being done with IShellIconOverlay as that's the only way to get custom overlays for Github, TortoiseSVN, Dropbox, etc. but that single call causes a performance hit by a factor of between 10x and 100x. Loading a 3,000 item folder literally goes from 100s to 1s just by removing that call. It's now a default-off option. The new way will still display overlays for Shortcuts and Shared folders without enabling the ExtendedOverlays option or suffering any performance degradation, as the index for these is a system constant and presence is determined simply by normal attributes.

Code:
    'v2.16 (Released 05 Mar 2020)
    '
    '-Made extended overlays, found in programs such as TortoiseSVN and Dropbox, a default-off
    ' option due to the extreme performance cost (a factor of 10-100).
    Also note that ucShellBrowse has been updated with this same fix, if you also use that in your project.
    Last edited by fafalone; Mar 7th, 2020 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Clarified description

PowerPoster

Project Updated - 15 March 2020

As described in the previous upgrade, the overlays for Shortcuts and Shared should have shown all the time, however they were not shown at all, at overlays have never actually been added until now.

Hyperactive Member

Re: [VB6] ucShellTree: Full-featured Shell Tree UserControl (Updated 3/15)

Fafalone,

Do you have any examples of using drag-and-drop wit ShellTree or ShellBrowse? I looked at the examples you include with these 2 and none have a demo of that capability. Also I don't see an event listed for either control that I can catch and use. Thanks.

PowerPoster

You're right I should add an event.

If you look in the code, there's the TVHandleDrop sub that is already processing drops in place (and the IDropTarget_Drop that calls that), if you wanted to do something further with whatever is dropped.

ShellBrowse has a DropFiles event already:
    Public Event DropFiles(sFiles() As String, iEffect As DROPEFFECTS)

Both controls currently fully process the drop- perform the move/copy/paste/execute including showing the menu if it's a right button drag (which includes any shell extension items you see in Explorer) and updates the view.
    Last edited by fafalone; Apr 22nd, 2020 at 08:05 PM.

PowerPoster

Ok so until I post an update, add this event to ucShellTree's event declares:
    Public Event DropFiles(sFiles() As String, siaFiles As oleexp.IShellItemArray, doDropped As oleexp.IDataObject, sDropParent As String, siDropParent As oleexp.IShellItem, dwDropEffect As oleexp.DROPEFFECTS, dwKeyState As Long)

Then replace IDropTarget_Drop and TVHandleDrop with the following:
    Code:
    Private Sub IDropTarget_Drop(ByVal pDataObj As oleexp.IDataObject, ByVal grfKeyState As Long, ByVal ptx As Long, ByVal pty As Long, pdwEffect As oleexp.DROPEFFECTS)
      DebugAppend "IDT_Drop "
       Dim PT As oleexp.POINT
       PT.X = ptx
       PT.Y = pty

pDTH.Drop pDataObj, PT, pdwEffect
    TVHandleDrop pDataObj, pdwEffect, PT, grfKeyState
    sFolder = ""
    TreeView_SelectDropTarget hTVD, 0&
    End Sub

Private Sub TVHandleDrop(pdo As oleexp.IDataObject, pdwEffect As oleexp.DROPEFFECTS, PT As oleexp.POINT, dwKeys As Long)
        '<EhHeader>
        On Error GoTo e0
        '</EhHeader>
    Dim hSel As Long
    Dim lp As Long
    Dim psia As oleexp.IShellItemArray
    Dim siTarget As IShellItem
    Dim pDT As IDropTarget
    Dim lpTar As Long, sTar As String
    Dim sFilesOut() As String
    Dim nFilesOut As Long
    ReDim sFilesOut(0)
    Dim lButton As Long
    If ddRightButton Then
        lButton = MK_RBUTTON
    Else
        lButton = MK_LBUTTON
    End If

'hSel = TreeView_GetSelection(hTVD)
    'lp = GetTVItemlParam(hTVD, hSel)
    DebugAppend "DropTarget=" & sFolder
    If sFolder = "" Then Exit Sub
    oleexp.SHCreateItemFromParsingName StrPtr(sFolder), Nothing, IID_IShellItem, siTarget
    If (siTarget Is Nothing) = False Then
        siTarget.BindToHandler 0&, BHID_SFUIObject, IID_IDropTarget, pDT
        If (pDT Is Nothing) = False Then
            pDT.DragEnter pdo, lButton, PT.X, PT.Y, pdwEffect
            pDT.Drop pdo, lButton, PT.X, PT.Y, DROPEFFECT_MOVE Or DROPEFFECT_COPY Or DROPEFFECT_LINK
        Else
            DebugAppend "TVHandleDrop->Failed to get drop target"
        End If
        siTarget.GetDisplayName SIGDN_DESKTOPABSOLUTEPARSING, lpTar
        sTar = LPWSTRtoStr(lpTar)
    Else
        DebugAppend "TVHandleDrop->Failed to get target shell item"
    End If

oleexp.SHCreateShellItemArrayFromDataObject pdo, IID_IShellItemArray, psia
    If (psia Is Nothing) = False Then
        Dim pEnum As oleexp.IEnumShellItems
        Dim sia As oleexp.IShellItem
        Dim lpc As Long, szc As String
        Dim pcl As Long
        psia.EnumItems pEnum
        If (pEnum Is Nothing) = False Then
            Do While pEnum.Next(1&, sia, pcl) = S_OK
                sia.GetDisplayName SIGDN_DESKTOPABSOLUTEPARSING, lpc
                ReDim Preserve sFilesOut(nFilesOut)
                sFilesOut(nFilesOut) = LPWSTRtoStr(lpc)
                nFilesOut = nFilesOut + 1
            Loop
        End If
    End If

RaiseEvent DropFiles(sFilesOut, psia, pdo, sTar, siTarget, pdwEffect, dwKeys)
    '<EhFooter>
    Exit Sub

e0:
        DebugAppend "ucShellTree.TVHandleDrop->Error: " & Err.Description & ", 0x" & Hex$(Err.Number)
    '</EhFooter>
    End Sub
    I'll be updating ShellBrowse with a more detailed version like this in the future as well.

PowerPoster

Project Updated! Version 2.2 Released on 23 April 2020

Made a small feature update with the drop event from above, a drag event, ability to disable drag/drop, and ...MULTISELECT! It turns out MSDN saying 'Not supported. Do not use.' really means 'Fully functional'. Check Windows 7 and 10, works fine. It may stop working at some point in the future, but for now it's good to go.

Code:
    'v2.2 (Released 23 April 2020)
    '
    '-Added DropFiles event and DragStart event.
    '
    '-Added Multiselect option. MSDN says "Not supported, do not use." but this style appears
    ' to be working without issue. Be advised, this deprecated status means that it could cease
    ' to work in future versions of Windows without notice.
    ' This effects dragging items, and a new Public Sub SelectedItems has been added; these are
    ' the only places multiselect currently effects.
    '
    '-Added DisableDragDrop option if you want to disable it.
    (PS- I know the main title still says 3/15; I thought I could still edit it until May 3rd... but nope, it's stuck now )

Hyperactive Member

What happens on May 3rd?

PowerPoster

2 years since this thread was posted. I edited a bunch of my thread titles to figure out how long I could edit titles for, and had it narrowed down within a couple months of 2 years, so concluded it was 2 years. But it's actually a little less than that, so while I could edit the title on 3/15, I can't now, and would have to bother the admins to do it manually. Which I already did for another thread when I was first investigating this, so didn't want to ask again so soon.

PowerPoster

Project Updated to v2.5 on December 9th, 2020

Well I honestly can't recall why I never put in the options to set the background and text colors of the control, but they're present now. Also added a true RefreshTreeView option, that opens the folders that were previously open. Before, there was the ResetTreeView sub, but that only restores the root appearance that it's like on startup.

Name:  ucst-colors.jpg
Views: 2462
Size:  38.7 KB

Code:
    'v2.5 (Released 09 Dec 2020)
    '
    '-Added BackColor and ForeColor (text) options.
    '
    '-Added some missing style options: AutoHScroll, NoIndentState, TrackSelect, and
    ' ShowSelAlways. The latter two are enabled by default.
    '
    '-Added RefreshTreeView function. There already is 'ResetTreeView', but that restores the
    ' tree to its state on load. RefreshTreeView resets it then expands all the folders that
    ' were previously expanded, which will make any updates in the folders that were visible
    ' as they're loaded from scratch.
    '
    '-To perform the refresh, a list is generated of not all folders, but just one per end
    ' node, otherwise there'd be potentially hundreds of useless OpenToPath calls.
    ' This list is available if you want to view or save it through the new GetExpansionState
    ' function. If you want to load a saved list, also added LoadExpansionState. You can pass
    ' any list of full paths in a string delimited by a | if desired.
    '
    '-(Bug fix) If a portable device (e.g. phone, camera) was connected while the control was
    '           running, it wouldn't be added to the tree.

Note: In the original post of Version 2.5, debug output for the Immediate window was turned on. Reposted with it turned off; no other changes. As a reminder, in ucShellTree.ctl, below the intro comments and changelog, there's the dbg_PrintToImmediate user option, switch it to False to turn off debug output without needing to re-download.
    Last edited by fafalone; Dec 14th, 2020 at 06:47 PM.

PowerPoster

Re: [VB6] ucShellTree - Full-featured Shell Tree UserControl

Project Updated to v2.5 Revision 2 (R2) on 15 Dec 2020

This is a bug fix for the following scenario: A tree is paired with a ShellBrowse control, you open the Network root. If the servers aren't expanded, doubling clicking a server in the browser would get caught in an infinite loop and cancel the expansion, so the tree would never expand to the server you opened on its own. This may effect other special locations, and was related to IShellItem.GetDisplayName returning two difference cases (upper/lower) for the same exact location at different times. It was presumed to always load the same case, so I hadn't made the function that looks up node data by path case insensitive.
    Last edited by fafalone; Dec 15th, 2020 at 02:42 AM.

Hyperactive Member

hello good job.
    I block a lot and there is a lot of lag.
    also when I move the mouse wheel it has a lot of lag from loading the folders.
    I do not know if it will be because I have many folders.

a greeting

PowerPoster

How many folders are you trying to load?

One thing to try would be in the Properties for the control, set InfoTipOnFolders (and InfoTipOnFiles if you're showing those as well). That causes a bit of lag as it looks up all that info on mouseover.

Hyperactive Member

about 100 folders will appear in the tree open the node.
    change everything to false and if it works better.
    It can also influence two connected external hard drives.
    I don't have time to do more exact tests.
    but it's a great job.

a greeting

PowerPoster

The only setting that should cause lag with that few items is the ExtendedOverlays option. It's only taking 90ms to load 100 folders when I time it.

Check how it performs from the basic demo, \Demo\ShellTreeDemo.vbp in the download, then see how the performance is for that and how your settings might differ.

PowerPoster

Project Updated to Version 2.6 - 03 April 2021
    Small update to address a bug in OCX builds, add Select/Click events with IShellItem references, remove the need to track a variable when combined with ucShellBrowse for directory changes (bChanging in the demos), and add a SelectNone sub to deselect.

Code:
    'v2.6 (Released 03 Apr 2021)
    '
    '-Eliminated the need to use a variable to keep tracking of dir change operations when
    ' combining this control with a ucShellBrowse control; previously you'd handle a path
    ' change notification from the browser with
    ' If bChanging = False Then
    '    bChanging = True
    '    ucShellTree1.OpenToItem siItem, False
    '    bChanging = False
    ' End If
    ' Now you no long need the bChanging variable.
    '
    '-Added SelectNone sub, which will clear all selected items (supports multiselect).
    '
    '-Added ItemSelectByShellItem event. I wanted to just include an IShellItem member in
    ' ItemSelect, but the backwards compatibility concerns are too great. This event will
    ' also include all the information of ItemSelect if you want to fully switch over.
    '-Did the same for ItemClick->ItemClickByShellItem
    '
    '-For MultiSelect, added the MultiSelectChange event, which includes an IShellItemArray
    ' of selected items as well as a name list and full path list
    '
    '-(Bug fix) Using On Error Resume Next to handle an uninitialized array in the Terminate
    '           event caused the control to freeze on compile or on run after changes if
    '           you were using it as an OCX.

I had a problem getting the items that where checked inside vb itself without having to compile it. The .checked wasnt working unless it was complied. So I made a small change and now it works in vb and compiled.

Code:
    Private Sub SetCheckedList()
    ReDim gPaths(0)
    nPaths = 0
    'EnumPaths hTVD, m_hRoot
    Dim i As Long
    Dim fChk As Long

For i = 0 To UBound(TVEntries)
        fChk = 0
        fChk = TreeView_GetCheckState(hTVD, TVEntries(i).hNode)
        If fChk = 2 Then
            ReDim Preserve gPaths(nPaths)
            gPaths(nPaths) = TVEntries(i).sFullPath

nPaths = nPaths + 1
        End If
    Next i
    End Sub

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast