Thread: "The Expanse" - The best TV you aren't watching.

PowerPoster

"The Expanse" - The best TV you aren't watching.

This is some of the hardest science fiction ever to hit the small screen.

Come for the action and visuals. Stay for the story, solid science, relevant politics, deep world building, and heart.

Sadly it sounds like we might not get a Season 4 due to a lack of general interest by the masses. Too bad really. Not only is it good stuff and smart stuff it has been made accessible to the general public. There is judicious use of exposition, scene-card legends explaining things like "IO, Moon of Jupiter," and character pre-introduction to help the mundanes follow along.

PowerPoster

Re: "The Expanse" - The best TV you aren't watching.

Yeah, I watched a couple of seasons on Amazon before I moved on to something else. I really liked the action and visuals but was never really drawn in by the characters. It's to bad there is not more SciFi on Amazon and Netflix. I watched a couple of season of Altered Carbon on NetFlix, it was an interesting concept. I just checked out the new Lost In Space, good visuals but way to serious, no joy.

I love the series, not the clean Star Trek in which everything is solved every episode.

In the NL we can only watch it legally using Netflix.
    So we have to wait at least some months (half a year??) before we get season 3, actually S2 is live for just 3 months.
    If the TV serie is discontinued then I think I will order the books, I believe there are 7 of them right now.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

The first series was very good, and well adapted from the books i really enjoyed it.

The second series started to suffer a bit half way through when they started unnecessarily changing the plot and introduced some crappy soap like dialog / interactions.

to be clear i dont mind plot adaptations when a series is based on a book and sometime they are necessary, it just felt like they made a poor job of it

Also it suffers from a lack of Miller who was clearly the best character.

Haven't seen series 3 though so maybe its gets better again.

Altered Carbon suffered from a similar treatment, poor first episode and poor last episode with some good stuff in between, although the lead actor could have been better to be honest.

It is pleasing to see more sci-fi books that i read back in the day adapted for TV but i just wish sometimes that they would do a better job of it.

Amazon are apparently adapting Consider Phlebas (from Ian Banks the Culture series) and i really hope they get it right.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

PowerPoster

I wonder if they have been tweaking things to make the show appeal more broadly. Sad that with all of the possible outlets for things now they can't settle for narrowcasting when something doesn't bring in the teenage girl demographic.

PowerPoster

Well it might get saved from oblivion after all:

Amazon in Talks to Revive ‘The Expanse’ for Season 4

This move should also relieve some of the pressure to dumb things down so much and stick closer to the vision in the books.

Last edited by dilettante; May 21st, 2018 at 09:14 PM.

PowerPoster

It seems to be official: Amazon is picking The Expanse up for further development.

That’s great news!

Listen to episode 308 of the podcast The Churn for a behind the scenes recounting of how the The Expanse save was announced. It's pretty cool. Turns out Jeff Bezos is a tremendous fan of the books & show.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-chu...stic-action-in

#RermemberTheCanth
    #SaveTheRoci

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

As people move from crowds camped around a common fire (the old broadcast/cable model) to streaming media more each day "narrowcasting" to specific interests ought to become more practical. The biggest brake on that is production costs of course. Change seems inevitable though, even if it means finding "patrons" among the very wealthy.

I worry a bit about agendas and the resulting messaging though. That seems like the potential poison pill to me.