Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: How Many People are Sticking around Until the end of VB6

The Idiot

Re: How Many People are Sticking around Until the end of VB6

hahahahaha....what?
    vb6 is not dead. while im working with projects in vb6, Alum is just promises.
    and do you really think i would choose Alum over Olaf's new IDE if we would come to that?
    if you want to compete with vb6, you need to show something that works and that is better then vb6.
    if you don't want to give it for free you can disable compiling.
    Last edited by baka; May 9th, 2018 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LOfADay View Post
    My mistake, VB6 really is dead.

To your appraisal Schmitt, the blurb says that the only bit we add is the compiler and the rest is open source. Have you ever seen a sexy compiler? The editor is the easy bit, albeit Ace is the best. Wake up man.
    I suspect most people would disagree with that, grabbing an already existing text editor is probably a lot easier than writing a compiler for a language you don't have the full design documents and specifications for.

To you all, do you want a solution or do you just want to sit there and moan? I well remember the hostilities of last time. Someone sees your problem, tries to help, and you all go off and huddle into a corner and mutter. "Whatever will we moan about now if someone actually fixes our problem?" Sounds like something out of a Monty Python Skit.
    You don't seem to have actually shown anything that would solve any problems regarding bringing VB6 to a modern development platform either, you have show pretty pictures, talked a lot about investments etc. but never shown even a simple example of taking VB6 code and compiling it.

I was showing my investor the last foray I had on here so that he would know what to avoid. He said they can't help it. None of them are successful. Moaning is all they know. It was for that reason we renamed the project Alum to get away from the stench that has become connected to VB6.

It was to be all open source + freeware for my so called "fellow VB6ers" but now we will make sure it is priced out of the reach of such pathos. I don't want it tainted. As for the suggestion I am promoting something, you make me vomit.
    I would say you aren't so much promoting something as you don't seem to have anything concrete to actually promote, I would use the term "touting for investors" as that seems to be the stage you are at. Lots of talk, lots of marketing but no actual product to show for it all.

If you want to get people enthusiastic for your successor to VB6 it would be a big help if you had something to show that looks like a successor to VB6, anyone can grab a third party editor component that already does syntax highlighting and make VB6 code look all pretty - showing something that can be run after being compiled would be an impressive step. The current editor doesn't seem to even flag blatant errors.

Frenzied Member

I was showing my investor the last foray I had on here....
    ...It was to be all open source + freeware for my so called "fellow VB6ers" but now we will make sure it is priced out of the reach of such pathos.
    Your investor must be a very benevolent individual to sink his money into a project that you are giving away for free...
    If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there...

My VB6 love-children: Vee-Hive and Vee-Launcher

n/a
    Have a great day.
    Last edited by LOfADay; May 10th, 2018 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Removed general insulting comments.
    www.vb64.com logo courtesy of BadAssTechnologies by permission & with thanks.

n/a
    Have a great day.
    Last edited by LOfADay; May 10th, 2018 at 01:11 AM.

@Mr Damp, what's the point of writing a new IDE editor when Ace already does the best of the best? By the way, it's NOT Codiad, it's ACE-EDITOR. Look it up. Codiad is just a file manager and wrapper around Ace (and needs a lot of work sadly, but I always appreciate open-source and have put back my changes to their community). By the way, it needs Apache to run. I didn't write that either. Should I mention it runs best in Chrome and I didn't write that either? Or Windows and PHP and JQuery? Nope. Didn't write them either.
    I don't recall mentioning Codiad by name anywhere in my post... So not sure why you are making a point about that. Looks like you are referring to a quote from Olaf

EDIT: Wrongly attributed quote removed...

However looking at Ace as an editor it doesn't seem that difficult to extend it to support a different syntax, https://github.com/ajaxorg/ace/wiki/...g-an-Edit-Mode seems to have most of the details.

There is also a big difference between saying what dependencies a project needs and that your project demonstration is simply using another free tool with some language bindings added.

We actually started an in house editor, and it looks stunning, but it was withdrawn as I felt open source gave folk the best protection against vendor lock-in. Also, online editors are becoming the trend.
    So why not just open source your own editor if you felt open source was the best option? Online editors can be useful but a modern IDE is far more than a simple editor and in the case of something like VB6 would need access locally installed COM components, compilers and libraries as well; not sure how an online editor would help in this situation. Is this even possible with your chosen technology stack of codiad and ace?

@baka, The question was asked, what will you be using next? The answer is what I gave - I'll be using Alum. I'm NOT promoting ANYTHING. The website has DRAFT written at 45 degrees ALL OVER IT IN HUGE LETTERS. What the heck is the matter with you guys? As for "show something that works and is better than VB6", you what? So you would just like me go away, spend # man years making a compiler (like that's so quick and easy, everyone is doing it), then come back here and give it to you on a platter and then you can abuse me some more? For quick fudges, there are dozens out there (Jobaco? KBasic? Lightswitch?). Compete with VB6? It's vintage folks -- nothing to compete with.
    Despite the Draft watermarks all over your page you are obviously trying to drum up interest and investment in this project of yours, anything to raise the profile etc... Given you were going to release it for free anyway and now want to charge for it makes me question the integrity of your motives. I can't see many investors being happy with you taking their money and giving it away, did you even consider open sourcing your own editor before ditching it for Ace?
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; May 9th, 2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Edited a quote of a post that was itself edited.

Frenzied Member

Actually, PlausiblyDamp, your second quote should be attributed to Olaf, not LOfADay...

n/a
    Have a great day.
    Last edited by LOfADay; May 10th, 2018 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinE66 View Post
    Actually, PlausiblyDamp, your second quote should be attributed to Olaf, not LOfADay...
    Oops, good catch - I will fix the original post.

@Mr Damp, just very quickly, that was Schmidt / Olaf that wrote that, not me. And yes, it was that reference of Codiad I picked up on :-)

Yes, it is a concept, it is not complete, and it does form part of a business plan. But it must be clear I'm not promoting it here. Indeed, my investor may well order me to delete my comments here. No one said I was promoting anything. No one said "what do you think of it". I just said, that is what I will be using. I've already seen the devestating waste of time that appealing to the VB6 community is when it comes to getting funding (Off the top of my head they got 1,500 of the 150,000 they were looking for). This is a well thought out project that will be done well or not at all,and that's why you may consider it unfinished..
    Apologies, I have fixed my post...

Geez guys - get a room!

@LofADay - you should take your attitude down a notch. If you are looking for more investment you should only give your "elevator pitch". Only talk about why you are a better choice. And cutting down anyone or anything else to elevate you is no way to pitch anything.

Remember if you are truly better then there IS no competition!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Let me just say that this is a topic that easily becomes heated. I have removed a few statements that were flat out insulting, and perhaps could remove more. I realize people don't agree on this topic. I don't either. But keep it respectful.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Things were getting too personal, as so often happens when it comes to VB6 and any successor. I removed a series of these as they don't do anything to move the conversation forwards. All I've got to say about it is that leather isn't a think enough hide for somebody who wants to come up with a replacement for VB6. You WILL be excommunicated from one church or another for the attempt. You should recognize that this will happen and be able to ignore it rather than respond to it. That's the nature of passionate views.

I have no idea what the future will bring for Windows...and all other platforms. I was recently reading a bunch of writing by Joel Spolsky back around the turn of the century. Good stuff, some of which is still relevant, lots of which just shows what state-of-the-art looked like 18 years ago, which is a whole lot different from today. Given another 18 years, nobody can quite say what the world will look like....except that it will be different.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Given that a mod has already felt the need to step into the thread and delete whole swathes of content, you'd think it would be obvious that the smart money would be on stopping poking either's respective bears. Or to put it more explicitly: Drop it. That applies to both sides.

@LOfADay, I suggest you re-familiarize with our forum AUP, particularly with regards to the clauses related to advertising and promotion. You may claim that linking to your site is not promoting as it's free but, given that the site contains a tab labeled "Pricing", that seems a little hard to swallow. And given that you've talked about your investor it seems hard to argue that this is not, on some level, a commercial project. Don't link to it again.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Fanatic Member

Lofaday, may I ask you to please tone down your comments. We can all appreciate you are frustrated. But remember people here and on other forums are users and supporters of the VB6 programming environment.

You aren't going to win support by arguing with and insulting VB6 users.

Both Olaf and yourself are developing alternatives to VB6. That's good news. You will both have the backing of many here.
    But there is no point in arguing about who has the better offering when you have put no software forward and Olaf is only part way to his goal.

When you are ready, show us your product. You will get support if you have a good product.
    The same applies to Olaf.

Remember, though, you are competing with Microsoft who tell us that VB6 will be supported for at least as long as Windows 10.
    That is difficult for anyone to compete with. I would advise you to make the migration path to move existing source code from VB6 to your offerings as smooth as possible if you wish to persuade VB6 developers to move.

I wish Olaf and yourself the very best and look forward to seeing your products.

I will migrate the UI tier to web while keeping all business logics in VB6 and packed in DLLs. I am redoing UI first because I am sufferring in unicode problem.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by mclee View Post
    I will migrate the UI tier to web while keeping all business logics in VB6 and packed in DLLs. I am redoing UI first because I am sufferring in unicode problem.
    Have you seen Krool's controls in this forum?

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...mmon-controls)

They are replacements for many of the VB6 controls, support Unicode and are dpi-aware.

Quote Originally Posted by VB6 Programming View Post
    Have you seen Krool's controls in this forum?

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...mmon-controls)

They are replacements for many of the VB6 controls, support Unicode and are dpi-aware.
    Thanks for the tips However, replacing every control in each form is also very hard work ( I have more than 100 forms in my project). Moreover, my plan is migrating the traditional client-server app to web app so that it can be run not only on LAN, but anywhere Internet connected.

Can someone point me at some detail on Alum and Olafs new IDE?

thanks

Olaf's is called vbRichClient and is the first hit if you enter it on Google.

LOfADay's offering is harder to find. We deleted a link (we don't allow links to commercial products) but I'll take a look back and see if there's something I can find for you to google.

Edit> Can't find a google search that works for LOfADay thing and his links are blocked from my workplace. Will check them out when I get home and see if I can come back with something a little more useful.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; May 18th, 2018 at 08:09 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by vbcommander View Post
    Can someone point me at some detail on Alum and Olafs new IDE?

thanks
    Try googling "open alum visual" or "0av"

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by mclee View Post
    Thanks for the tips However, replacing every control in each form is also very hard work ( I have more than 100 forms in my project).
    It's actually easy to replace the controls. Delete the old control, insert the new control and name it EXACTLY the same as the old control.

Moreover, my plan is migrating the traditional client-server app to web app so that it can be run not only on LAN, but anywhere Internet connected.
    Try looking at NSBasic, a VB to JavaScript transpiler for client-side development. The IDE is very VB6-like and many VB6 statements convert directly to equivalent JS statements.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; May 20th, 2018 at 05:04 AM.

"open alum visual"
    Yep, that finds it.

However, can people stop posting links to commercial products, please. We don't know what your connections to the platform might be and, given what's already happened in this thread, we're likely to construe this as a form of advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by VB6 Programming View Post

Try looking at NSBasic, a VB to JavaScript transpiler for client-side development. The IDE is very VB6-like and many VB6 statements convert directly to equivalent JS statements.
    Thanks. Let me check NSBasic

Fanatic Member

Interesting article on Microsoft (half-heartedly) adding JavaScript to Excel.

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/16...avascript.html

In one of the most disconnected decisions in the whole history of Microsoft, back in 1998 the languages team decided to kill Visual Basic 6 to make sure that its new .NET initiative had a better chance of success.
    That went well for them

The reason it was, and still is, disconnected, is that Office used VBA as its macro or scripting language and VBA is essentially VB6
    It was said at the time, but Microsoft never listen.

Now that .NET is also on its way out it seems doubtful that it will ever become the scripting environment for Excel.
    Interesting that "Now that .NET is also on its way out...." is heard more and more now.

There's already a thread on this. Don't get your hopes up, though.

Fanatic Member

David Platt says in the Microsoft MSDN magazine:

I foresee at least another ten years of life for VB6. And I’ll bet you anything that this support gets renewed in Windows 11 and 12, or whatever they’re called by then. Another decade of driving the puritans crazy.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/mt846730

IMHO, that's the first article he's written that's actually kind to us.

I particularly like his quip...

Like Ol’ Man River, VB6 just keeps rollin’ along.
    That's about it. We all get worked up in a tizzy at times over trivial issues, but the whole thing just keeps rollin’ along, all to the consternation of Microsoft I suspect.

Truth be told, I still develop new apps in VB6, and I'm also being asked to bring a young engineer up to speed on it this coming week. And it seems there are younger people asking questions about it on these forums on a fairly regular basis.

The only true limitation I see with it is that it'll always be 32-bit. However, the limitation of a 2gig (maybe even 4gig) address space is a bit different from being limited to a 64k address space (i.e., 16 bit). Here's a possible comparison I can come up with. Up until about 10 years ago, I lived in Houston, in a house with a typical back yard. Through the decades, I had various dogs, as I'm a dog person. They always enjoyed the back yard, but they also always craved going on long walks or hikes at a state park. It was clear they weren't truly happy in such a confined space. In fact, a couple had wanderlust and were always causing problems by digging under the fence.

About 10 years ago, I bought some land in the country and moved to Tennessee. I now have something over 20 acres, with my house plopped in the middle of it, and no fences on the surrounding 100 acres or so. I've now got 3 dogs, and it's as if they all know where the 20 acre boundaries are, and have no desire to wander any farther. For them, I suspect it's the coyotes that sometimes howl at night and other unknowns that keep them at check, as well as a sense of how far they can go without getting confused as to how to get back to food and shelter (and, I'd like to think, my loving pets). We do still take them on hikes, and they love it, but when we miss a week without going on a hike, I don't get the sense that they feel cooped up and bound in an area that's too small.

I think my 20 acres is analogous to the 2gig (maybe 4gig) of 32-bit addressing. Sure, there's more out there, but do we really need it? And yeah, we may occasionally venture out (i.e., out of process tasks), but, for the most part, we're fine where we are.

It's sort of funny, but I could actually push that metaphor quite a bit farther, but I'll stop there. I suppose my point is, maybe there truly are limits to the level of resources we need to get all the things done we'd like to get done. Sure, we'd always like more, but, maybe there's just truly not a need so long as we stay organized.

Y'all Take Care,
    Elroy
    Last edited by Elroy; Jun 9th, 2018 at 06:59 AM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

I had a Bratwurst for breakfast today.
    Yesterday, I only had a cup of coffee...

Olaf

PowerPoster

My grid control will soon be completed, and there are some details that will be adjusted. Now, in my project, except for RC5, there are no third-party controls, no Microsoft common controls, and no Farpoint Spread. Next, I'll start porting my software to Linux.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Jun 9th, 2018 at 09:28 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dreammanor View Post
    My grid control will soon be completed, and there are some details that will be adjusted.
    Now, in my project, except RC5, there are no third-party controls, no Microsoft common controls, and no Farpoint Spread.
    Next, I'll start porting my software to Linux.
    At least your attempt at an Haiku has the proper amount of lines.
    Well, I guess the right amount of syllables is hard to accomplish in a non-eastern-tongue...

Olaf

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Well, I guess the right amount of syllables is hard to accomplish in a non-eastern-tongue...

Olaf
    You're in a quirky mood today, Olaf?

Olaf
    That's what I thought, too, but Haiku isn't as strictly restricted as I always thought it was.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by ColinE66 View Post
    You're in a quirky mood today, Olaf?
    You're probably right - guess my attempt to express the same things as Elroy (just in fewer lines) went sideways somehow...

Olaf

PowerPoster

Yesterday, I only had a cup of coffee...
    My breakfast of choice most days...Though the bratwurst sounds quite nice. And no, I won't attempt a haiku

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jpbro View Post
    My breakfast of choice most days...Though the bratwurst sounds quite nice. And no, I won't attempt a haiku
    Ha, since syllables are apparently over-rated (according to shaggy) - here's my third line:
    When it doesn't cease, is it memory still?

<g> (sorry for scaring you all)

Olaf

Frenzied Member

express the same things as Elroy (just in fewer lines)
    Not a difficult thing to accomplish. Especially once you allow for his Edits 1 through 5...

PowerPoster

Ha, since syllables are apparently over-rated (according to shaggy) - here's my third line:
    When it doesn't cease, is it memory still?

<g> (sorry for scaring you all)

Olaf
    Not so scared - just assumed it was sometime around Pilsner hour in Germany

PowerPoster

Well, to "fading memory" then (and the Pilsner, which helps the process along)... Prost!

Olaf

There you go with appropriating my Bohemian ancestors beer creation over to the Germans!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilsner

It's Miller Time!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast