dcsimg
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: How Many People are Sticking around Until the end of VB6

PowerPoster

Re: How Many People are Sticking around Until the end of VB6

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    The number has some meaning, we just can't know what that meaning is.
    Well - there's certainly a few things that can be concluded for sure:
    1) the interest shown in the VB6-SubForum is (about) equal to the interest shown in visiting the VB.NET-Subforum
    2) the interest shown in Desktop-Development is by orders of magnitude larger than the interest shown in Web-, Mobile- or UWP- SubForums
    2.1) the interest in the DB-Forum is always about 10-15% of the interest shown in the dedicated "DeskTop-Programming-Forums" (roughly the same is true for the VBA/Office-section)

The points above are certainly nothing to sneeze at (statistically speaking) - and it is also all quite plausible to me
    (nothing that comes as a surprise - e.g. the DB-Forum-percentage was in a similar relation also in good old UseNet -
    and the "current-visitor-relations" among different subforums also roughly match the "total-postingcount-relation" of the same subforums).

Though since this comes from the statistics of a single WebSite - one has to ask himself a few other questions (as in "don't generalize all too much")...
    As e.g.:
    - Is the statistics of this forum representative for the VB-Community as a whole?
    ...... I'd say (basically) yes, because it simply is the most frequented Q&A site for VB on this planet (these days, not sure about the past - I'm a relative "short-time" member here).

- Is the statistics of this forum representative for "all programming-tasks or -languages" (since the Forum *does* offer e.g. a C-section and a JavaScript-section)?
    ...... Certainly not! - it is frequented by "typical LOB-App-guys" who primarily develop for the Windows-Desktop and "the Office" (with a bit of Web-stuff thrown in).

As for the "anonymous" Guests vs. "logged in" Users...
    That can be explained with different "expiry-timeouts" for certain "grades of login".
    Both kind of users will drag a "Session-ID" along (initialized by a Cookie - and then present in the current Browser-session over a hidden Text-Field).
    I can imagine, that "fully logged in" Users - when inactive (not clicking any Links) will drop out of the "session-expired-window" somewhat earlier (as "full Users"),
    but are than listed a little while longer - along with all other "anonymous session-IDs" (which will also "drop out off the anonymous-expiry-window after some time").

I also wouldn't underestimate the amount of "silent lurkers" (or "semi-silent-ones", which follow discussions "readonly", without properly logging in, despite having an account here).
    Also not underestimated should be the "amount of devices" or "places" the site is contacted from... at work I often parse the Forum anonymously (coming in from a Google-search, just to look something up).

Just my $0.02...

Olaf

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    As long as it fits their agenda, they use it, just like Tiobe. How often have we seen people talk about the Visual Basic category as being VB6? If they took the time to look at the explanation that Tiobe provides, they'd realize that Visual Basic does include VB6, but just barely. It's mostly VBA, with VB.NET being the next largest part, VB6 as being a small third portion, and 'other basic' a distant fourth.
    It looks like you have fallen into your own trap and are using Tiobe to fit your agenda.
    The Tiobe 'Visual Basic' category does not include VB.Net. VB.Net has its own category in Tiobe.
    And 'other basic' isn't included either, there are various categories for other basics in Tiobe, including one named 'Basic'. Even VBScript isn't included, it too has its own category. And versions of Classic VB older than VB6 are excluded, while all 8 (or is it 9 now?) versions of VB.Net are included in the VB.Net category.

But even Tiobe likes a joke, they show VB.Net as being more popular than both C# and JavaScript added together - and have VB.Net in the running for 'language of the year'.
    Last edited by VB6 Programming; Dec 7th, 2018 at 05:15 PM.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    (coming in from a Google-search, just to look something up).
    That must be the main reason for the high number of guests, the people that come from Google searches.
    Before I registered in the forum I came often because to Google searches.
    vbExtra: Print preview for VB6, print FlexGrids and more.
    MSDN online for VB6, Language reference.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by VB6 Programming View Post
    It looks like you have fallen into your own trap and are using Tiobe to fit your agenda.
    The Tiobe 'Visual Basic' category does not include VB.Net. VB.Net has its own category in Tiobe...
    I thought his point was that Tiobe's way of measuring whatever it is they measure and report is inherently imprecise, chaotic, and ultimately not very useful.

Just as "Visual Basic" probably contains a grab-bag of beans counted in its bag "Java" probably contains a vast number of "JavaScript" beans, "C" probably includes lots of "C++" and "C#" beans, and on and on.

I'd go further. I believe that without obtaining figures they liked by seeding and weighting to alter the results the Tiobe folks would throw up their hands and stop counting and reporting these figures altogether.

It's all marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Just as "Visual Basic" probably contains a grab-bag of beans counted in its bag "Java" probably contains a vast number of "JavaScript" beans, "C" probably includes lots of "C++" and "C#" beans, and on and on.
    As long as they don't double count the results for VB family are impressive. Is it positive Visual Basic does not contain VB.Net and VBScript and Other Basic entries?

I don't see separate VBA entry so this must be the rocket booster Visual Basic entry is flying on -- it's not VB6, we can calm down and breathe now :-))

So, they do have entries definitions:

Visual Basic .NET: Visual Basic .NET, VB.NET, Visual Basic.NET, Visual Basic (confidence: 50%), VB (confidence: 50%)
    Visual Basic: Visual Basic (confidence: 50%), VB (confidence: 50%), VBA, VB6

cheers,
    </wqw>

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789