Thread: License DLL

1/2 way accross the galaxy.. and then some

License DLL

Hi all ...
    I am wanting to distribute a compiled DLL that others can use:

My requirements are as follows:
    This component will not expire.
    The product should be able to "call home" to check its status.
    Licenses should be able to be shut down if they are found on pirate sites etc.
    Licenses themselves should be able to be somehow "compiled" on release or put into the users software so that the end user can use but cannot copy or use the license for their own software.

I know that licensing components is a common question ... but I haven't really found any good stuff on this ... a lot of examples out there appear to be insecure (wish .Net could compile to native code )... or problematic in other ways such as deploying the licenses themselves to end users.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Kris

Re: License DLL

I haven't used either for a long time but I have previously used Quick License Manager as well as Infralution Licensing System and found both to be quite good, relatively cheap and easy to use.

Also does anyone know of any good obfuscation tools for dlls?? ...

I kind of want a Eazfuscator type one ... but that actually works (couldn't get this one working ... kept saying "Ambiguous match found" ... which they apparently fixed in V3 ... guess not with my edge cases) with more options.

Keep in mind in a DLL it is required that all of the public & protected members(for public classes) need to remain in-tact.

Thanks,
    Kris

I have been using ConfuserEx.

Not sure though how it stands up against other obfuscating tools, but it's free, and that's enough for me. However, as with anything obfuscated, with some efforts it is possible for the right person with the right skillset to de-obfuscate your assemblies again.

It has quite a few settings, so if you haven't already, you should check it out and see if it fits your needs.
    Arve K.

Please mark your thread as resolved and add reputation to those who helped you solve your problem
    Disclaimer: I am not a professional programmer

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

The product should be able to "call home" to check its status.
    Licenses should be able to be shut down if they are found on pirate sites etc.
    Licenses themselves should be able to be somehow "compiled" on release or put into the users software so that the end user can use but cannot copy or use the license for their own software.
    If the dll is going to "call home" to check if its licenced then it doesn't need a licence compiled into it.

You just need a config setting with a unique name for the client, then when you do a call back you check to see if that client has a valid licence in your licence table!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    If the dll is going to "call home" to check if its licenced then it doesn't need a licence compiled into it.

You just need a config setting with a unique name for the client, then when you do a call back you check to see if that client has a valid licence in your licence table!
    The issue is that I require a licensing system that allows a release mode and a debug mode ... so that the end user of the clients product cannot use the license for further development; but can run the software that uses my DLL.

Kris