Thread: Advice for installing Windows 10 with the bare minimum requirements?

Fanatic Member

Advice for installing Windows 10 with the bare minimum requirements?

Any advice out there for hardening Windows 10? Meaning to have it installed with the barebone requirements.

Since it will mainly be used just to remote into a virtual server, we want it taking up as little resources as possible.

Just let me know if any tips for this; thanks!

Jim

PowerPoster

Re: Advice for installing Windows 10 with the bare minimum requirements?

Sounds like you want Windows 10 S, or as that gets phased out "S Mode" in Pro or Enterprise.

Or consider moving to Chrome OS machines or something if you just want terminals.

Frenzied Member

You have little real control over Windows 10 installs unless you get Enterprise or Education versions. From what I've read, S mode just restricts what apps you can use to The Store (e.g., you must use Edge as your browser). I don't think it allows you to remove apps you don't want or to lock things down to prevent users from doing certain things.

Quote Originally Posted by topshot View Post
    You benefited from Max Performer a lot and have little real control over Windows 10 installs unless you get Enterprise or Education versions. From what I've read, S mode just restricts what apps you can use to The Store (e.g., you must use Edge as your browser). I don't think it allows you to remove apps you don't want or to lock things down to prevent users from doing certain things.
    If that's true, what's the point of even having the S mode then? In related news, why am I surprised about this lol? It's MS...
    Last edited by Tremaine; May 13th, 2022 at 07:27 AM.