Thread: Using a copy of a Windows 10 hard drive on a Windows 7 machine.

Fanatic Member

Using a copy of a Windows 10 hard drive on a Windows 7 machine.

Greetings,

We are going to be getting 20 Windows 10 (the OEM company being Dell) machines in the next couple months.

We will have 3 or 4 different unique Windows 10 OS configurations that we will create.

We want to put a copy of each of those unique configurations on a terabyte drive, so that we can add them to some existing Windows 7 machines, on an as-needed basis. We are confident the hardware would all match.

But what would happen as far as licensing? Would we get a message from Dell/Microsoft that we need to purchase a new license?

Also, any unique software we might need for this, etc.?

If anyone has any ideas, just let me know. Thanks!

Jim
    Last edited by JimMuglia; Apr 18th, 2018 at 10:06 AM.

Frenzied Member

Re: Using a copy of a Windows 10 hard drive on a Windows 7 machine.

Quote Originally Posted by JimMuglia View Post
    We want to put a copy of each of those unique configurations on a terabyte drive, so that we can add them to some existing Windows 7 machines, on an as-needed basis.
    Meaning you wish to dual-boot on those older PCs? If so, then you'd need a Win 10 license for those PCs. It would not activate Win 10 on that PC. If you're just putting in a drive that happened to also have Win 10 on it, but you weren't using the OS, then should be fine I'd think.

I think he may be referring to having a standard system image for each PC type. The usual Microsoft method for that would be to use their volume licensing method, but that may be too expensive for an office with only 20 PCs.

Fanatic Member

Thanks top and jdc. I'm processing through your answers; but first I need to correct something I said, as I just did in the OP.

In the OP, I incorrectly typed

"We will have 3 or 4 different unique hardware configurations that we will create."

I didn't mean hardware configurations, I meant that among the 20 Windows 10 machines, there will be about 3 or 4 different Windows 10 OS / software configurations depending on the type of user.

And those are what we would copy to the terabyte drive for having the ability to add them to Windows 7 machines on an as-needed basis.

So, yes topshot, with my clarification, we actually would be using the OS. And jdc, you are saying that MS will recognize the license, and prompt us to create another one? But if we had a volume licensing method, that would allow us to easily obtain a new one if we pay for it?

Jim
    Last edited by JimMuglia; Apr 18th, 2018 at 10:26 AM.

I assume from your description that you plan to take a few of the new Dells, install the software required for each configuration and then make images of them. Those images will then be loaded on the Windows 7 machines, correct?

What you're trying to do won't work for a couple of reasons. First, those Dells will come with OEM-licensed versions of Windows. They will activate on one PC and afterwards are locked to it. You can't move it to another machine and expect it to activate.

Second, OEM-licensed versions of Windows are restricted to the machine they came on. The license forbids moving them to another machine. As one Microsoft person put it: "Consider it glued to the PC. If you toss the PC in the trash the license goes with it".

You should probably take a look at the Open program. Go here and from the menu on top select Licensing Programs and choose "By Organization Size: 5 - 250 Licenses" and look at the programs available. These will allow you to use volume licensed versions of Windows along with volume activation methods. If you want more information on how those work just ask.