Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubberduck VB6 IDE support

Rubberduck VB6 IDE support

https://github.com/rubberduck-vba/Rubberduck/pull/3935

Very interesting and has huge potential for much goodness in the IDE.

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Re: Rubberduck VB6 IDE support

awesome. Hopefully they add GIT support.

*Seems they intend to support PreDeclared Classes too. Would by nice not to have to Import/Export a class to make it PreDeclared.
    Last edited by DEXWERX; Apr 16th, 2018 at 03:39 PM.

They do. The project is tagged vba c-sharp ide metaprogramming static-code-analysis refactorings unit-testing vba-ide git indentation parsing parsing-expression-grammar dot-net rubberduck com com-interop win32 ms-office linter addin

cheers,
    </wqw>

Fanatic Member

Have you successfully added as an addin in vthe VB6 IDE?
    Seems intersting

Not yet unfortunately. This PR is pending but has been in the making for quite some time as of now.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Fanatic Member

Rubberduck v2.3.0 has been announced, with official VB6 support.

Name:  vb6.jpg
Views: 2115
Size:  35.9 KB

That’s right: code inspections, code metrics, all navigation enhancements, unit testing, refactorings, …all your favorite Rubberduck features, in the Visual Basic 6.0 editor.

https://rubberduckvba.wordpress.com/...erduck-v2-3-0/

Fanatic Member

Just tried the pre-release, but no way to make it available in the VB6 editor.
    Even by registering manually
    But working in Office VBE editor

Fanatic Member

Well, finally, I can make it work.
    I had to install it for all users, instead of only me.
    Maybe because I run the VB6 in admin

Hi Thierry,

Thanks for reporting this. Can I ask what version of Windows you're running?

Thanks,
    Andy

Ah yes, that would explain it. If you want to run VB6 as admin, it's easiest to install for all users if possible. It *should* work per-user if you make sure to run the installer as admin, but this is a known issue with the installer (related to difficulties finding the correct HKCU).

Fanatic Member

Well, I tried it on of my project (my projects are very big), and I have error during the analysis phase.

on smaller projects, seemes no error.
    I test on smaller one

if you want, I can provide you logfile

Yes please, but please check that there's nothing in the logfile you don't want to share - on TRACE level it can capture some information on the code being parsed (method names etc).

The Rubberduck community is very active in responding to bug reports filed on our issues tracker at https://github.com/rubberduck-vba/Rubberduck/issues. Please feel free to post any probelms as a new issue - we have a new tag especially for VB6 support.

Tried it here. It installed ok, but added another new RubberDuck menu to the VB6 IDE very time it started.
    A whole long row of them!

Uninstalling it did not fix the problem. There appeared to be numerous entries left all over the registry.
    Had to do a "System restore" to get rid of it all.

PowerPoster

Is there a preview version of 2.3.0? All I can find is 2.2.0.4198... or does that contain VB6 functionality?

Also wondering whether this will work with CodeSMART, any thoughts?

TedH,

Sorry to hear of your issue. I've opened up a support issue at https://github.com/rubberduck-vba/Ru...ck/issues/4548 - please feel free to update it with any additional comments.

Can I ask what version of Windows you're using? And which SP level of VB6? I'm trying to repro the issue now.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    Is there a preview version of 2.3.0? All I can find is 2.2.0.4198... or does that contain VB6 functionality?

Also wondering whether this will work with CodeSMART, any thoughts?
    2.3.0 should be landing tomorrow, barring any disasters. There are some final PRs to be merged, but the current pre-release (2.2.0.4198) contains VB6 functionality.

We've not tested with CodeSMART (none of the devs have it), but we try to play nice with other add-ins. Please let us know if you spot anything awry.

Mansellan,

We jump on anyone pretty hard that's not using SP6 of the VB6 IDE. I couldn't say for sure about TedH, but that's a pretty firm thing around here.

I must also admit that his experience has sort of spooked me.

Best Regards,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by mansellan View Post
    TedH,

Sorry to hear of your issue. I've opened up a support issue at https://github.com/rubberduck-vba/Ru...ck/issues/4548 - please feel free to update it with any additional comments.

Can I ask what version of Windows you're using? And which SP level of VB6? I'm trying to repro the issue now.
    Windows 10 1803, with latest updates. VB6 SP6

I may give it try on another PC (and old "sacrificial" laptop), but I am reluctant to try it again on my main PC.

Ted.

Quote Originally Posted by TedH View Post
    Windows 10 1803, with latest updates. VB6 SP6

I may give it try on another PC (and old "sacrificial" laptop), but I am reluctant to try it again on my main PC.

Ted.
    Thanks Ted,

A few of the Rubberduck developers have tried to reproduce this issue using build 4198 without success. I tried setting up a fresh VM with Windows 10 1803 and VB6 SP6, but couldn't repro.

We'd very much like to get to the bottom of this if possible, so if you do decide to try on your other PC please let us know how you get on. In particular, if you can repro it would help if you can set the logging level to TRACE in the settings dialog and post the output. Also, it may help to know the version and bitness of MS Office you have installed (the VBE commandbars are based on them).

In the meantime, we have added some extra guards around the teardown of the add-in which we hope should help.

Regards,
    Andy

I can report that Rubberduck v2.3.0 appears to work in a custom VBA embedded/integrated application as well. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate with latest updates and Office 2016, will test Windows 10 with office 365 later tonight.

PowerPoster

Tried it on my Win8 VM with VB6 SP6--- a clean install with no other addins, it installs and seems to mostly work. Some stability issues.
    One odd bug though the parentheses autoclose doesn't work when you use it with Call e.g. x = func() works, func nestedfunc() works, but Call func() not only does not work, you can't even type an opening (.

Pleased to report that Rubberduck and CodeSMART are able to be used together. It does however increase the stability issues by quite a bit. A lot of random crashing when trying to run a project from the IDE.

There is one fairly significant problem, on Win7 at least, Rubberduck breaks DPI scaling. See this thread for a description and picture. This occurs whether or not CodeSMART is also running. The only way around it is the 'Compatibility' option to disable scaling, but that's got its own issues in the IDE and means when running your app from the IDE unless it is high-DPI compatible (does its own scaling), things will look similarly messed up.

I've opened issues for these on Github.

Fanatic Member

At least, Rubberduck & VBIDEUtils are working with no problems together

Quote Originally Posted by mansellan View Post
    Thanks Ted,

A few of the Rubberduck developers have tried to reproduce this issue using build 4198 without success. I tried setting up a fresh VM with Windows 10 1803 and VB6 SP6, but couldn't repro.

We'd very much like to get to the bottom of this if possible, so if you do decide to try on your other PC please let us know how you get on. In particular, if you can repro it would help if you can set the logging level to TRACE in the settings dialog and post the output. Also, it may help to know the version and bitness of MS Office you have installed (the VBE commandbars are based on them).

In the meantime, we have added some extra guards around the teardown of the add-in which we hope should help.

Regards,
    Andy
    OK, I will hopefully try it later today.
    I do not have MS Office on this PC. I use LibreOffice for "office" functions.
    There is a folder "Microsoft Office" in "Program Files (x86)" full of all sorts of stuff, presumably part of the Win10 installation?

Not sure what "bitness" you are refering to. The PC itself is a modern 64bit machine.

Ted.

Just installed Rubberduck.Setup.2.3.0.4221 on the old laptop, and it works fine.
    No "duplicate menu" in the VB6 IDE problems!

Ted.

Just installed Rubberduck.Setup.2.3.0.4221 on the old laptop, and it works fine.
    No "duplicate menu" in the VB6 IDE problems!

Ted.

mansellan,
    I did some more testing on Windows 7 ultimate before testing on Windows 10.

The Rubberduck source code did not compile and I could not swiftly figure out why. There were numerous errors and warnings from the VS 2017 pro analyzer.
    I probably was missing some reference or requirement to compile the project.

The Rubberduck splash screen has got to go. Please remove this because it causes an extended delay at VB load time. Nobody wants this, we all had a meeting, lol.

The indenter (pretty formatting) should be automatic like it is in VB.NET.
    At the very least, the indenter should be directly accessible, and not hidden deep in a sub menu. Not everyone is a fan of keyboard combos either. Put that time saving item up front!

Switching from one code module to the next causes menu items (Ready, Project.Module(module), references) to be removed and re-populated. This looks ugly in the IDE, because the whole command bar flickers and the delay is up to a few seconds behind. Most of the items are disabled anyway.
    Please think about reworking this, as there seems to be no need for those label items.

There were a number of errors (false positive) that Rubberduck was reporting.
    One example is: "Object variable 'Tag' is assigned without the Set keyword."
    In this case, the Tag is hidden and using the Set keyword causes the code fail.

The problem with this is that code inspection analysis must be nearly 100 percent,
    otherwise it just plain annoying and clunky to the end user, despite all the hard work you put into this as an open source freeware. I'm sorry.
    Another instance of this kind of problem was: "Local variable 'hDC' not declared." It was also hidden. Sometimes the code metrics window fails to load anything at all, displaying a "parse error" in the flickering command bar.
    There were other false positive errors but I don't have time to troubleshoot all of them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TTn View Post
    The Rubberduck source code did not compile and I could not swiftly figure out why. There were numerous errors and warnings from the VS 2017 pro analyzer.
    I probably was missing some reference or requirement to compile the project.
    Why are you using VS2017?
    I don't think Rubberduck was intended to be compiled by VS2017, but rather by VB6... it's for the VB6IDE... not .NET... perhaps that's the source of the reason it wouldn't compile?!

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Fanatic Member

techgnome, Rubberduck is written in .NET, not VB6

PowerPoster

Easy mistake. TG didn't know Office Add-Ins could be developed in .NET.

Actually, I did know that office addins could be done in .NET... I didn't realize Rubberduck was an Office addin... I thought it was a VB6 IDE addin... Didn't look at the code (for some reason Chrome won't open the link for me... it's a me problem though, I know that).

Very cool though.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Maybe I didn't know there was a difference between COM Add-In/Office add-in/VB6 IDE Addin... I always thought they were all the same.

It works as an addin for both VBA and VB6. Office is not the only application with VBA embedded within it. The addin also works with other applications that have VBA embedded.

I have a big problem on my Windows 10 pro machine! Latest with updates.

All of my Visual Basic projects will not load properly after installation of Rubberduck 2.3.
    The error logs for each code module all have this in common:
    "Class _._ of Control _ was not a loaded control class."

Luckily this is more of a test machine, because I might have to do a system restore.

PowerPoster

still a a few issues, but awesome to see it working.

* Public enums declared in a static bas module, give an undeclared variable warning when used in another class.
    * Also "Open Designer" doesn't seem to do anything yet.

* Parsing seems to take a while.
    * Don't see any GIT settings.
    * PreDeclared is a Class Template, vs a property setting.
    * No way to change the UI font in the settings. Would be nice to match the IDE's tahoma.
    Last edited by DEXWERX; Nov 26th, 2018 at 12:28 PM.

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. Quite a bit to get through - I'll start with the easy ones :-)

Splash screen can be deactivated in Rubberduck->Settings-> General Settings. That said, it won't make startup any faster, there are no Thread.Sleeps involved, it does take that long to initialise everything. We're working on making startup quicker by deferring as much as we can to first use, but there's not much we can do about the overhead of loading WPF.

DPI scaling is a known issue, and we should have a fix for it in the next few days.

Autocomplete is new to 2.3, and may still have a few kinks. It too can be disabled in settings if it gets in the way, but I would expect any reported issues to be fixed rapidly.

The indenter is a straight port of Smart Indenter (the project owners donated it to us). Live indentation should be coming in a subsequent release as part of Block Completion.

The toolbar is actually in lieu of a status bar, which the VB editor lacks. We have plans to implement a full replacement for the code panes using AvalonEdit, which (among a great many other benefits) will allow us to get a proper status bar.

False-positive inspections are a constant area of focus for us, and the 2.3 release solved a number of them. Any inspections that are too noisy can be disabled in Settings. Please do raise an issue for any that are painful though - it may well be that VB6 considerations differ from those found by our existing VBA user base.

Inability to build the project is disappointing - Rubberduck is necessarily complex, but we do need to make it as easy as possible for anyone to build or contribute. Would love to know more on this.

The "Class _._ of Control _ was not a loaded control class." error is troublesome, and not one seen before. TTn, are you able to share your logs for this?

"Public enums declared in a static bas module" looks like a false positive, we'll look to address that.

Open Designer doesn't do anything yet - that's probably on me. It was working in earlier builds... I'll get that fixed pronto.

"PreDeclared is a Class Template, vs a property setting." - agree that a property setting would be nicer. We may at some point implement an enhanced Properties toolwindow, and it would be a great fit there.

"No way to change the UI font in the settings" - that sounds like a great enhancement. Can open an issue for that.

And lastly... Git.

Was removed a few releases back. It wasn't core to the product, and didn't get the attention it deserved and needed. As the bugs piled up for it, we made the difficult decision to pull it. It may come back in the future, but only after we implement a plug-in system so it can be ringfenced. That will necessarily be a ways off into the future. We still have it mentioned in a few places, which is misleading, we'll look to correct that.
    Last edited by mansellan; Nov 27th, 2018 at 04:40 PM.

PowerPoster

Great project. Dragging the VB6 IDE into the present is no easy task.

Quote Originally Posted by DEXWERX View Post
    Great project. Dragging the VB6 IDE into the present is no easy task.
    Thanks! Indeed, it isn't! Just thought I'd chime in to mention that we do have plans to hijack the design-time editor (break mode is a whole other story), and that when we do, I'm pretty much 100% sure CodeSMART will not like it. That's v3.0 material though, and many things can happen between now & then.

One note about the PredeclaredId template: that particular template might actually end up being removed when hosted in VB6, since (unless I'm not remembering correctly?) IIRC these attributes are exposed in the VB6 editor - the idea was to expose the functionality to VBA.

Please don't hesitate to open issues on our repository (https://github.com/rubberduck-vba/rubberduck) for any new bug or feature/enhancement idea, and star us if you like!

PS - the bug with self-closing pairs is fixed, PR is pending review and will definitely make it to the 2.3.1 hotfix release.

Hyperactive Member

block auto completion doesn't seem to be working form me. I've enabled it in settings but nothing happens when hitting enter on the first line of an if test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast