Thread: Use RC5-cwVList to display rich-text items.

PowerPoster

Use RC5-cwVList to display rich-text items.

I'm developing a small chat tool. In the chat window, the information sent by the users contains text, pictures, hyperlinks.

I'm going to use RC5.Cairo and RC5.vbWidgets to develop a Hyper-LisView control and each entry can display rich-data (text, images, hyperlinks, even buttons and right-click menus).

I know this problem is a bit complicated and I don't expect to get the final answer. I would like to hear some good ideas and suggestions so that I can make fewer detours.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Apr 15th, 2018 at 09:51 AM.

PowerPoster

Re: Use RC5-cwVList to display rich-text items.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use a rich text control instead of a list/listview? That's the basic type of control chats I've seen are using; pics and links can be inserted, buttons maybe with OLE?. I believe you can even get newer*/more powerful RichEdit controls with API and/or olelib/oleexp, ITextDocument et al. for the Text Object Model...

*-Offhand I created a control with msftedit/RICHEDIT50W via API; i think that's XP and newer than richtx32.ocx... 60W is even newer but needs Office.

PowerPoster

Hi fafalone, thank you for your advice. RichEdit is unable to implement the following chat UI (this is the most common chat UI):
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PowerPoster

Or the following chat UI
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PowerPoster

Since you will probably implement a Browser-based UI at a later point anyways,
    (interacting with an App- or WebServer over JSON-In-Out-RPCs), why not simply use a
    Browser-Control to host and render that "Message-List" (using the same JSON-RPCs to
    retrieve serverside DB-Data, you will later use via jQuery-Ajax from within a real Browser-App)?

In post #6 of this thread: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...=1#post5197063
    I've explained how such a Listing can be accomplished (and for ease of deployment, you won't need
    the WebKit-BrowserControl of the RC5 - the IE-Control in "elevated Version-Mode" can render such
    "concatenated Message-Templates" as well.

Just prepare a nice HTML-template for any single Message in such a list (with proper Css-Class-Defs)
    (IE11, which such an "elevated MS-BrowserControl" these days resolves to, understands most modern
    CSS-styles for semi-transparencies and rounded corners or something, well enough).

Olaf

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Since you will probably implement a Browser-based UI at a later point anyways,
    (interacting with an App- or WebServer over JSON-In-Out-RPCs), why not simply use a
    Browser-Control to host and render that "Message-List" (using the same JSON-RPCs to
    retrieve serverside DB-Data, you will later use via jQuery-Ajax from within a real Browser-App)?

In post #6 of this thread: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...=1#post5197063
    I've explained how such a Listing can be accomplished (and for ease of deployment, you won't need
    the WebKit-BrowserControl of the RC5 - the IE-Control in "elevated Version-Mode" can render such
    "concatenated Message-Templates" as well.

Just prepare a nice HTML-template for any single Message in such a list (with proper Css-Class-Defs)
    (IE11, which such an "elevated MS-BrowserControl" these days resolves to, understands most modern
    CSS-styles for semi-transparencies and rounded corners or something, well enough).

Olaf
    Hi Olaf, glad to see your reply.

Yes, a Browser-based UI is the best choice for me, but there are few examples of VB Browser-UI, I need to collect and learn a large amount of information (such as jQuery-Ajax) in order to achieve this goal.

My chat tool is based on your RC5-RPCChatDemo, so using RC5-Cairo to implement a Hyper-ListView may be a feasible solution.

Edit:
    I've tested the example you provided and it works very well. However, it's difficult to me that I start developing web-chat system right now, unless there are more detailed examples.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Apr 15th, 2018 at 10:21 AM.

PowerPoster

Hi Olaf, I replaced the WebKit-Browser Control in your example with IE-Control and it works fine. Although the appearance and functionality of this HTML-List are limited on XP, I decided to take your advice and use a Browser-based UI to implement a Hyper-LisView. However, the main window of the chat tool will still be done using RC5.Cairo. Your suggestion makes me less detours. Much grateful.