Thread: Display issue with Windows 10

PowerPoster

Display issue with Windows 10

I am having an issue that is causing me some grief. I have multiple PCs connected through a KVM switch.
    Been using this method for years with no issues. My newest Windows 10 PC however is detecting the display at 1280x1024 and will not let me go higher than that. This only happens if the PC starts up and is not the active PC at the time. If I switch to that PC and restart it then it comes up in 1920x1080 as it should.

I have been looking for a way to force the setting or force it to redetect once at the desktop but so far the only thing I have found is to restart and while that is not a huge thing it is a PITA.

Anyone know of a way around this?

Re: Display issue with Windows 10

PowerPoster

I gave up on KVM switches a long time ago.

The old mechanical switch ones often led to glitches. One time I had an adapter's "VGA" port get blown up, ruining the card. The "electronic" ones were far better, but many cannot accurately pass the signals need to read the EDID stream.

You are probably far better off having a primary system that you use to "remote in" over the network. If your target systems don't have Terminal Services you could always consider some of the 3rd Party tools.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I gave up on KVM switches a long time ago.

The old mechanical switch ones often led to glitches. One time I had an adapter's "VGA" port get blown up, ruining the card. The "electronic" ones were far better, but many cannot accurately pass the signals need to read the EDID stream.

You are probably far better off having a primary system that you use to "remote in" over the network. If your target systems don't have Terminal Services you could always consider some of the 3rd Party tools.
    My kvm works great. It is only this one new PC that has an issue and only when it is not the active port at start up. None of the other PCs have had such an issue and if for some reason they did get the wrong display it was simple to change it but W10 apparently either has no way to do so or it is somewhere I have not yet looked.

Remote access is not really an option at all. Sure it would be ok if all I was doing was coding, browsing files and such but I do lots of things on these PCs including some high end gaming. The PC that is causing the issue especially as it is the fastest of the bunch with very fast SSD and GPU.

Restarting is a better option than remote access. What I need is a way to get windows to keep the correct resolution or re-detect it when it has changed.

Sinecure devotee

Seems like I had something like that happen just the other day.
    A monitor was in an initial powering up state when Windows 10 was coming on line so apparently detected it was a VGA 1280x1024 capable monitor (or something like that) and I couldn't change the resolution to a higher value.
    What I did was while on the "Display Settings" dialog, hit the "Detect" button, and it straighten itself out.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    Seems like I had something like that happen just the other day.
    A monitor was in an initial powering up state when Windows 10 was coming on line so apparently detected it was a VGA 1280x1024 capable monitor (or something like that) and I couldn't change the resolution to a higher value.
    What I did was while on the "Display Settings" dialog, hit the "Detect" button, and it straighten itself out.
    I tried the detect button right away but that seemed to only look for a second monitor. It said no additional monitors detected and no settings were changed. A restart while that PC is selected through the KVM solves the issue but takes a few seconds. Fortunately this PC is using an Ultra M2 drive for the OS so it boots much much faster than if it were a mechanical HDD or even a SATA SSD.

The only difference jumps out at me in this system and the others that have no issue is that the video card does not have a VGA port nor does it have the DVI with analog support like the others do. Instead on this one I have to use the DP with a vga adapter.

Not sure at this point if this is a Windows 10 thing or a nVidia driver thing.

I'll get back into it later today and see what I can find related to the driver and the nvidia control panel.