Thread: Creating a web app

Creating a web app

Hi every one,

As a school project, I created a simple chat app for students in my university, installed on their phone and can be used to search for other students at the university (very helpful if you'd like to find your crush!) Anyway, many students would like me to create a web app for this messenger app, so they can use on computer too... but I haven't done something like that before. Can anyone give me a clue where to start and would it take lots of time to develop one?

Re: Creating a web app

Firstly, if you want to create a web app instead of a mobile app then the Mobile Development forum isn't really the place for it, because you're not asking how to do mobile development.

Secondly, the first step would be to decide what language/technology you're going to use, because that will influence a whole host of choices thereafter. Given where and when you are, i.e. a VB forum in 2018, creating an ASP.NET app written in VB.NET seems to be the obvious choice, but there are plenty of other choices. What you used to create the original mobile app might be an influencer in this decision, so what was that?

Apart from anything else, where to start on something like this is almost always a search engine rather than a forum. You can simply Google "web app development" and refine your keywords as you go. It is my opinion that you should always look first and ask questions later, because then you can generally ask better questions. Not having any information on a subject in this day and age is simply not defensible.

Ah thanks for your reply I created my mobile chat app with Java so I may use the same language to create this web app, I googled it and think it's possible. I just wanted to hear expert's opinions on this forum about the time and effort needed to create one, cause' this this web app is not really necessary and I don't want to spend too much time on it.

Again, a forum dedicated to Mobile Development is not really the place get ideas about how much effort is involved in creating a web app. A forum dedicated to web development would be an appropriate place. Also, if you think you're going to use Java then a forum dedicated to Visual Basic mobile development is even less appropriate. Application development for desktop, web and mobile is really not so different that the amount of effort involved will be especially different for the same amount of functionality so it's certainly possible to create a web app and there are numerous technologies available to do so but whether it's worth the effort is completely up to you.

Shame...sorry for posting on the wrong place, I'll look through the Java section then.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
    I'll look through the Java section then.
    I'm not trying to discourage you from doing that but keep in mind that this site was originally intended for VB so Java is a bit of an afterthought and may be fairly sparsely populated. If you want to use VB or C# then our own ASP.NET forum could be a help but if you do want to use Java, don't limit yourself to just this site.