Thread: MSCAL.OCX does not want to register even with run as administrator

MSCAL.OCX does not want to register even with run as administrator

Most of the threads have been on installing MSCAL.OCX on their development computers. This thread is about installing on customer machines with Windows 10.

I am using Installshield Express 10.

When the application installs on customer machine and they run the installer as administrator, they get "can not load, one of the components is missing" error message (actual message in image below). I have to go into their computer and go to elevated command prompt and run the regsvr32 command on the control and then all is well. Seems to install the other OCX controls without error even when not running the installer as not the administrator. The installer copies the OCX files all to the SysWOW64 directory.

My Installshield is a bit out of date admittedly (it does not have a specific entry for a manifest that forces the installer to run as administrator) but I notice those with newer versions have complained of same problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Name:  MSCAL install error.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  34.7 KB

PowerPoster

Re: MSCAL.OCX does not want to register even with run as administrator

If memory serves that is a control that comes with office and is not supposed to be distributed.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    If memory serves that is a control that comes with office and is not supposed to be distributed.
    Microsoft gives instructions on how to install it, so I would guess its free to distribute.

My question has to do with installers not registering this particular OCX when it installs fine if you run a separate command line as administrator and manually register it.

Frenzied Member

Out of interest where did you find Microsoft's instructions on how to install it?

More importantly though the file was dropped from office 2010 as far as I can tell and VB ships with a calendar control anyway, why not use the provided control. If the MSCAL.OCX file is provided as part of office then you might not be legally entitled to distribute it without the target computer also having a valid licence for office anyway.

[QUOTE=PlausiblyDamp;5276917]Out of interest where did you find Microsoft's instructions on how to install it?

I don't recall. Looked at so many articles I forget. Could have been a knowledge base article.
    What is the name of the VB supplied control?

PowerPoster

There wasn't one unless you're talking about the MonthView in mscomct2.ocx.

But I'm pretty sure the source code for a replacement control to MSCAL was included on the VB6 CD.
    Then you wouldn't even need to deploy the OCX.

Resolved Re: MSCAL.OCX does not want to register even with run as administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DEXWERX View Post
    There wasn't one unless you're talking about the MonthView in mscomct2.ocx.

But I'm pretty sure the source code for a replacement control to MSCAL was included on the VB6 CD.
    Then you wouldn't even need to deploy the OCX.
    Installed the Common Controls-2 (6) and used the monthview control replacing the MSCAL control.. Worked like a champ and the new install doesn't require admin rights.

Thanks everyone.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by CAVUCO View Post
    Worked like a champ and the new install doesn't require admin rights.
    Wrong.

You have created a problem. Your victims' machines will now have a virtualized copy of this OCX with virtualized registration. No telling how many other virtualized libraries you are creating as well.

You seem to be using a seriously obsolete and broken old version of Installshield Express that was limping along (at best) even on a pre-UAC OS.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Moved to Deployment section.

I haven't read or investigated the thread properly but it sounds like there was some doubt over the licensing of shipping that control. I'd urge you to double check, not just the technical aspects of deploying it, but also the licensing and make sure what you're doing is properly legit
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd