Thread: Updated graphics' card driver, but OpenGL DLL still dates back to 2009!

Question Updated graphics' card driver, but OpenGL DLL still dates back to 2009!

Today I just updated my Nvidia Geforce GT 545 driver since it supports OpenGL 4.6, but when I check opengl32.dll's properties, it shows that it's the old version from 2009. Is the filename different for the latest version of OpenGL? Do I need to pick the Nvidia drivers express installation, or do a custom clean install for the latest OpenGL?

Sinecure devotee

Re: Updated graphics' card driver, but OpenGL DLL still dates back to 2009!

opengl32.dll is probably Microsoft's version of an OpenGL library and is software based, it doesn't take advantage of any hardware acceleration.
    Nvidia drivers wouldn't be using that dll.
    Nvidia opengl dlls, if not built into the main driver somehow, would most likely be nvogl<something>, perhaps nvogl32.dll or nvogl64.dll.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    ... is software based, it doesn't take advantage of any hardware acceleration.
    I don't know much about 3D graphics, but according to Comparison of OpenGL and Direct3D:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Microsoft's OpenGL driver provides hardware acceleration in Windows Vista; ... OpenGL hardware acceleration on Windows is achieved by users first installing installable client drivers (ICDs) developed by GPU makers.[10] These ICDs are, in virtually all cases, bundled with the standard driver download package from the hardware vendor (IHV), so installing recent graphics drivers is sufficient to provide hardware OpenGL support.[11]
    Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    Nvidia opengl dlls, if not built into the main driver somehow, ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    OpenGL and Direct3D are both implemented in the display device driver. ... With OpenGL, every vendor implements the full API in the driver.

Sinecure devotee

You are correct. I realized after posting that I oversimplified the way the Microsoft's driver interacts with the hardware. It is a layered approach where the driver can do a full software based implementation of an early version of OpenGL, but supports passing through the calls to hardware supported functions if an ICD is provided to the hardware drivers, which also supports the extension to later versions of OpenGL. I didn't have the time, when I posted, to try to clarify and figured most likely someone else would clarify and/or correct what I posted, or Peter might come across the information himself once he realized that the vendor doesn't change out the opengl32.dll. I felt a little bad about the oversimplification and misrepresentation and almost just deleted my post as the "truth" is more complicated, but then figured it was probably better than nothing at that point.

Victor, passel, thanks!

I remember reading that Windows comes with an OpenGL DLL which is not part of the graphics card driver, but you both clarified that the latest version of it would be within new drivers, which is why the old dll wasn't replaced. The old dll can be ignored.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Apr 2nd, 2018 at 12:43 PM.