Thread: RegFree .NET dll consume from VB6 and VBA

Question RegFree .NET dll consume from VB6 and VBA

Hello guys,

I've created a dll in VB.NET to connect vb6 apps and VBA projects to Azure cloud (Application Insight) to monitor and log performance and usage of vb6 apps and VBA documents in real-time async.

Now, to be able to use it on users machines I need to run the setup or register it with regasm.
    This dll is also having some referenced that it uses.
    Long story short, is there a way to consume this dll with late binding but without registering in (and his references) on a user machine from vb6 apps and mainly from VBA (Excel)?

Thanks for your suggestions and advice,

Davor
    Last edited by Davor Geci; Mar 30th, 2018 at 10:26 AM.
    My projects:
    Virtual Forms
    VBA Telemetry

Lively Member

Re: RegFree .NET dll consume from VB6 and VBA

Quote Originally Posted by Davor Geci View Post
    Hello guys,

I've created a dll in VB.NET to connect vb6 apps and VBA projects to Azure cloud (Application Insight) to monitor and log performance and usage of vb6 apps and VBA documents in real-time async.

Now, to be able to use it on users machines I need to run the setup or register it with regasm.
    This dll is also having some referenced that it uses.
    Long story short, is there a way to consume this dll with late binding but without registering in (and his references) on a user machine from vb6 apps and mainly from VBA (Excel)?

Thanks for your suggestions and advice,

Davor
    FYI -- Registration-Free Activation of COM Components: A Walkthrough

gyhu thanks for your response,

In this article, as I can see, they use manifest files for this RegFree approach.

But in case of VBA, we can't modify Excel, Access or Word manifest files. Is there maybe another approach?
    My projects:
    Virtual Forms
    VBA Telemetry

I think that the people in the Office forum might be able to answer that one better, so I've moved the thread there, though I've also left the redirect such that it will last longer than normal.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

have a look at this post, see if it is useful
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...rectCOM-Helper
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

First you need to create an assembly manifest for the .net assembly and embed it in the dll. Then you create application manifest and embed it in your VB6 exe. Look at this SO question for detailed explanation.

In VBA you have to use an activation context (an instance of Microsoft.Windows.ActCtx) instead of embeding the app manifest in Word/Excel exe.

Just load the application manifest and then call CreateObject for .net classes like this
    thinBasic Code:
    1. Set oCtx = VBA.CreateObject("Microsoft.Windows.ActCtx")
    2. oCtx.Manifest = sFile
    3. Set RetVal = oCtx.CreateObject(sProgID)
    cheers,
    </wqw>

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Davor Geci View Post
    gyhu thanks for your response,

In this article, as I can see, they use manifest files for this RegFree approach.

But in case of VBA, we can't modify Excel, Access or Word manifest files. Is there maybe another approach?
    You're welcome.

Another reference for you: Reg-Free COM at runtime via Microsoft.Windows.ActCtx