Thread: vb.net run project in other pc without askin for sql server

Lively Member

vb.net run project in other pc without askin for sql server

Hello i have published an project and want to know how to make not asking for sql server, i want when i install my project after it it must be loaded not opening sql server and connect database, how to make database load after i install my project!

thank you

Re: vb.net run project in other pc without askin for sql server

It's not clear to me what you mean. If your application uses SQL Server then SQL Server needs to be installed. Are you asking how to have your application not use SQL Server as a database, or that you want to install SQL Server if it isn't already, or something else?

Lively Member

I want when i install my project on another pc database to load automaticlly ?? is that possible../?

Yes it is, but exactly how depends largely on what type of database you are talking about. Some of them are as simple as copying a file. A few are just a file and can be created by the program, which means you don't even have to copy. On the other hand SQL Server has to be installed. That installation can be automated such that it installs as your program installs, but that installation has to take place, and it isn't as simple as just copying a file or two.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

SQL Server is a server-based RDBMS. If you want to use a SQL Server database then SQL Server needs to be installed somewhere. You might need it installed on the same machine as the application or it might just need to be installed on the same network. Are you deploying the MDF data file with your application? If so then the user needs SQL Server Express installed on their machine and there's nothing you can do about that. If you want to avoid the user having to install it themselves then you need to include it as part of your installer. Regardless, this question has nothing to do with VB.NET and everything to do with application deployment, so I'll ask the mods to move this thread to the appropriate forum.

Thread moved to the 'Application Deployment' forum, which is where questions about installing/distributing your software belong

Lively Member

Anyone here to help me , i cannot run my vb.net application in another pc i dont know how to change the path of database for application can anyone help me . i already have sql server 2012. ?

Lively Member

Wich file i have to edit for Database path. can anyone tell me step by step

We can't tell, because you aren't giving us anywhere near enough information.

We don't know what kind of database you are working with (only that it fits within the many options provided by SQL Server), or how you have set up the connection to it (which could be in many different ways in code, or via several other methods).

As things stand we can only give you a huge list of potential things, which would not only waste lots of our time, but also take longer for you than working it out yourself.

Lively Member

I am using LocalDB, i have installed the program into another pc but when runnung says that sql network interfaces error 50. and i checked the database have the old location, how to load it via sql ? can anyone tell me wich file i have to add to retrieve database ?? bcuz i cannot connect to my application

Quote Originally Posted by ali3nn View Post
    I am using LocalDB, i have installed the program into another pc but when runnung says that sql network interfaces error 50. and i checked the database have the old location, how to load it via sql ? can anyone tell me wich file i have to add to retrieve database ?? bcuz i cannot connect to my application
    LocalDB is only designed to work locally, if you want a version of SQL that can be used over the network then you would need to look at SQLExpress as a minimum version.

Lively Member

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>
        <configSections>
        </configSections>
        <connectionStrings>
            <add name="top_dent.My.MySettings.Database_topdentConnectionString"
                connectionString="Data Source=(LocalDB)\MSSQLLocalDB;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\Database;Integrated Security=True"
                providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
        </connectionStrings>
        <startup>
            <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.5.2" />
        </startup>
    </configuration>

Lively Member

Here is my database LocalDB, how to run my application on another pc ? i dont know how to do it

Lively Member

I am installing my software in another pc' and cant run i dont know how to configure database i only need to know wich file i have to uplaod in slq to run my project,

LocalDB is intended for development. If you are deploying the MDF data file with your application then you need a SQL Server installed on the same machine. I'm not 100% sure but it may also be the case that only SQL Server Express allows databases to be attached on demand. I've never tested that to see. Anyway, if you'd bother to do a bit of reading then you'd know that the Data Source value in your connection string specifies the SQL Server instance that you're attaching the data file to.

If you're attaching to a different SQL Server instance after deployment then it's that Data Source value that you have to change. It's the very same server/instance name as you would use to connect in SQL Server Management Studio. You can use a dot alone or "(local)" to represent the local machine and, if it's a default instance, that's all you need. If it's a named instance then you need that name too.