Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade DDOS Protection?

PowerPoster

Re: Homemade DDOS Protection?

Niwdog's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Bob Ross approaches 1.

Also, Bob Ross gave verbal credit to Bill Alexander for the painting technique in numerous episodes. Bob Ross wasn't a ripoff of anyone.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    It literally makes my blood boil when people misuse the word literally
    It's not a misuse. It's a Greek expression that I was kind enough to let it slide to English.
    You put it there to un-slang the "I had melted" expression. I could have avoided it but it's how we talk here. Emphasis on emphasis.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Well guys. As of last night between working with Photoshop and Autodesk 3D Studio Max, I became a little bit of a Bob Ross myself

And now I got a working title.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

I want to see it as a cube and not a wall
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Those are happy little balls of steel.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    I want to see it as a cube and not a wall
    Thats an interesting concept if I were to make it a 2.5D game. I also improved my title a hair or so. Bare in mind, I'm a little noobish at 3D modeling but I made the ball completely reflective like a pinball. I also moved the light for a more realistic look, and it reflects off the brick.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

King of sapila

I remember rendering big 3D models on studio max back in intel 486 days.
    Had to leave the movie to complete for about a day or so

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Roman View Post
    Thats an interesting concept if I were to make it a 2.5D game. I also improved my title a hair or so. Bare in mind, I'm a little noobish at 3D modeling but I made the ball completely reflective like a pinball. I also moved the light for a more realistic look, and it reflects off the brick.
    Yea that's what I meant back a few posts, 3d. imagine a rubics cube type image where you have to break it out in all directions, not just vertical
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Or a maze kind of like Castle Wolfenstein. You could send the ball ricocheting down some corner out of site. Perhaps it ends up breaking through the wall to come back at you from an unexpected direction, perhaps it returns down the (now a bit wider or weirder) corridor...or perhaps it releases the Shutzstaffel.

PowerPoster

Or a giant ball a la Indiana Jones that chases you through a maze where you grab up valuables as you try to escape without getting squished. Sort of a backwards Doom, Wolfenstein, etc. where you swing your POV back over your shoulder in anticipation of sudden death.

Imagine with all that said and awesome camera angles I can produce when that ball hits the last brick with an instant replay. O.O

starts programming right away...

Holy cow! Its only $69 dollars to register your trademark online!

https://www.trademarkengine.com/sem/...caArx2EALw_wcB

And on sunbiz.org, I can start my LLC for only $178

Why is it so much?

I realize you expected to be bled white by the process, and I could see if for the LLC if lawyers are involved, but what's the real cost for registering a trademark?

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Or a giant ball a la Indiana Jones that chases you through a maze where you grab up valuables as you try to escape without getting squished.
    Or how about if the ball was a ghost... Or four ghosts... Now that'd be a sure fire hit that'd be remembered for decades.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Or how about if the ball was a ghost... Or four ghosts... Now that'd be a sure fire hit that'd be remembered for decades.
    Yeah, especially if your character was some kind of pack animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Roman View Post
    Holy cow! Its only $69 dollars to register your trademark online!

https://www.trademarkengine.com/sem/...caArx2EALw_wcB

And on sunbiz.org, I can start my LLC for only $178
    It looks like its just the basic formation articles, may not include any state filing fees as may only be processing the application for you. You still need more to become functional: Business license, Sellers Permit, Business address (do not use your home address, rent a box at the ups store as business location as well as mailing address) business checking account. The entire process is usually from $500-$1,000

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Why is it so much?

I realize you expected to be bled white by the process, and I could see if for the LLC if lawyers are involved, but what's the real cost for registering a trademark?
    No idea. But this is the day and age where I should be creating my own business making apps for the app store, rather than work for someone else. Ad revenue would fund the operation, especially with the admob widget from Google.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    It looks like its just the basic formation articles, may not include any state filing fees as may only be processing the application for you. You still need more to become functional: Business license, Sellers Permit, Business address (do not use your home address, rent a box at the ups store as business location as well as mailing address) business checking account. The entire process is usually from $500-$1,000
    Well I could lease a small office easily for $300 a month. But with all that said, the cost is still pretty low. I think the only thing thats going to bite hard is running a server with the anti-DDOS machines going for half a million dollars.

PowerPoster

Better price out commercial bandwidth while you are at it too. There are tons of reasons why nobody self-hosts this sort of thing unless they are a large company... and even they are getting out of that end of the business.

do not use your home address
    Just curious but why not? As a contractor I have a limited company and I just set it up under my home address. Other than some junk mail it hasn't caused me any problems. Are things somehow different in the states?
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Just curious but why not? As a contractor I have a limited company and I just set it up under my home address. Other than some junk mail it hasn't caused me any problems. Are things somehow different in the states?
    Is for those rare occasions when you may get a disgruntle customer looking to hunt you down and they just do a simple lookup and boom, they have your home address. Also, it is a safety issue as its publishing your home address and possibly putting your family at some risk. May never happen but if it does hind sight is 20/20

For my business I don't use my home address.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Is for those rare occasions when you may get a disgruntle customer looking to hunt you down
    Never thought of that. Most of my work seem to be for Children's Social Services and some of them social workers can be MEAN!

Name:  Social Workers.JPG
Views: 293
Size:  29.1 KB

I jest but, actually, you make a good point.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Apr 18th, 2018 at 02:56 AM.

Sooooo if we were pissed off at Mark Zuckerberg, we can hunt him down and boom?!!

Zuckerberg's Facebook page has been hacked and his personal information stolen, however, he can afford security and bodyguards. Chances are you can't.

King of sapila

If you have a business based on your Home then what?
    You must give an address and if you use another address then you are a con artist.
    Fortunately US citizens have guns and they can protect themselves from angry customers (not again! ).
    Hmmmm. If you run a dating web site, should you give out your home address.Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    If you have a business based on your Home then what?
    You must give an address and if you use another address then you are a con artist.
    Fortunately US citizens have guns and they can protect themselves from angry customers (not again! ).
    Hmmmm. If you run a dating web site, should you give out your home address.Hmmm.
    You can have a home based business that is based at an office, suite or garage shop. Home based is also another term for Sole Proprietorship type business

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

You should have your home based business set up in a hall or breezeway. That way you qualify as a pass-through business.

King of sapila

You can have a home based business that is based at an office, suite or garage shop. Home based is also another term for Sole Proprietorship type business
    Yes but still, even if you base your business in your 2nd basement below earth the address is still in the structure that holds the room(or cave, in our example).
    Anyhow this is how Greek law apply. I don't think US law is any different(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    You should have your home based business set up in a hall or breezeway. That way you qualify as a pass-through business.
    In a box outside your home. With an electric cable coming from your apartment . :P
    Then again you won't have a power consumption meter so you are legal for IRS and illegal for the electricity company.
    (Business in a box)
    Last edited by sapator; Apr 19th, 2018 at 09:57 AM.

What if your home business at home has "security"? I could own a gun too.

PowerPoster

Home based is also another term for Sole Proprietorship type business
    Not really. A Sole Proprietorship is a Sole Proprietorship whether you repair shoes in your home or in a separate shoe shop.

Chickens are birds, but "bird" does not mean "chicken."

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Not really. A Sole Proprietorship is a Sole Proprietorship whether you repair shoes in your home or in a separate shoe shop.

Chickens are birds, but "bird" does not mean "chicken."
    When registering your business there is no Home type of business. There is only Sole Prop type that's not a llc or inc. Maybe its different where you are but that's how it is in CA

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Over here "Sole Proprietor", "Partnership" or "Limited" is independent of "Home" or "Office" - though I can see why Home might end up being a euphemism for "Sole Proprietor".

Any limited company must have a registered trading address. It has to be a physical address within the UK but that includes e.g. PO Boxes. I'm not sure how that applies to sole traders or partnerships.

There's nothing illegitimate about using a PO Box and it's quite normal, especially for large, multi-site companies. If I was looking for a local plumber, though, it'd probably make me a little suspicious about what he was trying to hide.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Apr 23rd, 2018 at 03:45 AM.

King of sapila

I've never seen or heard about only P.O. Box business in Greece.
    You also need a couple of thou of documents to fill up in order to start a business.
    So you could start a business only with a P.O. box over there....Interesting

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Its very easy to start a company in the UK, i could probably start one up in the time it take me to write this post (okay maybe slightly longer but still pretty quick).

Not like you Mediterranean countries with your endless bureaucracy

All our bureaucracy goes in to tax collection apart from for the super rich of course
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

You also need a couple of thou of documents to fill up in order to start a business.
    Yeah I know. I was over in Greece with a girl friend (not girlfriend - although she is very cute) of mine at christmas. We had to go and file some documents on behalf of a friend of hers who was starting something up. I learned two things:-
    1. You guys REALLY like bureaucracy
    2. Greek girls REALLY like to argue.

(I know, I know, I should have let you know I was over, but I was all the way up in Arta so we wouldn't have been able to meet up )

King of sapila

Arghhhh! You where here and did not let me know!? I'm not speaking to you again!
    Hopefully another time.
    My cousin was studying in Arta University a couple of years ago btw.
    Apparently you where in a beneficial position as the main "craziness" - bureaucracy is on big cities like Athens and Thessaloniki.
    We do not like bureaucracy. It's on my hate list almost at no1. Apparently the previous(and this one) governments where hiring people in public sector (in exchange for their votes) but without criteria. So every low-life "I got an mayor uncle that will find me a position" person got hired. They don't now squat about their work so something that could have been done in 5 minutes it takes an hour, thus "bureaucracy" + stupid laws and documentation you need to fill up, you've got hell.
    For anyone that do not know what we are talking about, see "Asterix house of madness" -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI5kwSap9Ug

P.S. Careful of the Greek girls, they will tie you up and make you a groom in a blink of an eye
    Last edited by sapator; Apr 24th, 2018 at 02:36 AM.

You tell me any English word, and I'll tell you where it originated from, in Greek

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

challenge accepted !!

flimflam
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Most of our rude ones. They come from the Germanic.

King of sapila

We only own serious words not filmflam or blapbloup or HoingHoing.
    However if you would go as far as writing filmography (film - flam) then you got film + graphie . Graphie = Greek for "write" (ΓΡΑΦΩ-ΓΡΑΦΗ) .

King of sapila

Dig this:
    flimflam -- from Scandinavian Flee -- from Greek Fleo (Φλέω) :

https://greek_russian.academic.ru/66...BB%CE%B5%CF%89

Hah!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast