Thread: Change letters in entire app

Change letters in entire app

Entire app which contains 300 + dll's and one main .exe is done on native language and for characters are used
    Serbian - Latin

Name:  Serbian_latin_lower.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  8.0 KB

Now i need to change characters ( keep in mind only characters is need to be changed. i dont need translation ). I need to change characters to Serbian - Cyrilic

Name:  cirilica.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  20.3 KB

Can anyone give me directions of making it available ?

Do i need to open each of those 300 + dlls and change each string or control name ? Or is there other way of localization etc .. How did the good old XP after releasing initial version added LIP ( Language interface pack ) where you were available to translate entire app ?

Re: Change letters in entire app

If you want to support multiple languages then you should look into globalization and localization. The former is designing the application to be able to support multiple languages and the latter is adding support for a specific language.

If you only want to support one language but you want to change which language that is then I can't think of any other way than to just go through solution and change things by hand. You could use Find & Replace All In Files for some things, e.g. specific letters that will only be found in Strings and identifiers or names that you know in their entirety. Specific letters that will also be found in code keywords though, would have to be edited by hand or individually using Find & Replace In Files.

Hi,

here a sample....

Code:
    Option Strict On
    Imports System.Globalization.CultureInfo

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            ListBox1.DataSource = Globalization.CultureInfo.GetCultures(Globalization.CultureTypes.SpecificCultures).Select(Function(ci) ci.Name).ToList
            ListBox1.SelectedIndex = 0
        End Sub

Private Sub ListBox1_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ListBox1.SelectedIndexChanged
            If ListBox1.SelectedIndex < 0 Then Exit Sub
            ' Kulturname, z.B.: "en-US"
            Dim sCulture As String = ListBox1.SelectedItem.ToString.Substring(0, 5)
            ' CultureInfo-Objekt erstellen
            Dim oCulture As New System.Globalization.CultureInfo(sCulture)
            ' DateTimeInfo-Objekt abrufen
            Dim oFormatInfo As System.Globalization.DateTimeFormatInfo = _
              oCulture.DateTimeFormat
            ' Wochentag und Monat für die verwendete Sprache anzeigen
            Label1.Text = oFormatInfo.GetDayName(Now.DayOfWeek) & ", " & _
              Now.Day.ToString & ". " & _
              oFormatInfo.GetMonthName(Now.Month) & " " & Now.Year.ToString
        End Sub
    End Class
    regards
    Chris
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    If you want to support multiple languages then you should look into globalization and localization. The former is designing the application to be able to support multiple languages and the latter is adding support for a specific language.

If you only want to support one language but you want to change which language that is then I can't think of any other way than to just go through solution and change things by hand....
    Thank you for your fast answer. This is reasonable to me. My team will go over all projects and change property of each form
    "Localization True" and Pick desired language. By that change it create the Language.resx file.
    I'm afraid if we decide to support more languages in future we will need to go through all projects each time. I'm trying to create the solution which will make our self job easier tomorrow.

Once again. It does not need to translate the language. It just need to change characters .

It looks to me that you should be thinking of just changing the Font to something appropriate, rather than the culture or language setting. For all I know (which isn't much) it may be sufficient just to change the Font property of any forms you load. BB