Thread: [RESOLVED] Copy a structure db sql with CopyDatabase method of cConnection object (vbRichClient)

Resolved [RESOLVED] Copy a structure db sql with CopyDatabase method of cConnection object (vbRichClient)

Good morning.
    I need to copy a physical db sqlite into a memory db. I need to copy only the structure without data. I tried to use the CopyDatabase method of vbRichCliente.cConnection.
    But I get "Sorry: no open database".
    this is the code
    Code:
    Dim InMemDBCnn As vbRichClient5.cConnection
    Set InMemDBCnn = New vbRichClient5.cConnection
    InMemDBCnn.CopyDatabase App.Path & "\db\MyPhysical.db"
    I have perhaps misunderstood the use?
    Thanks

Re: Copy a structure db sql with CopyDatabase method of cConnection object (vbRichCli

The CopyDataBase method is to copy a complete database, not only the structure.

The following Python sample shows how you can do it in code.
    Steps:
    Create new DB, retrieve all table names from source, for each table recreate the structure in the new db
    https://gist.github.com/vgarvardt/3272957
    Last edited by Arnoutdv; Mar 22nd, 2018 at 03:10 AM.

Re: Copy a structure db sql with CopyDatabase method of cConnection object (vbRichCli

Thank you for your replay. Very helpful

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by VBDevelopper View Post
    I need to copy a physical db sqlite into a memory db. I need to copy only the structure without data. I tried to use the CopyDatabase method of vbRichCliente.cConnection.
    I have perhaps misunderstood the use?
    The CopyDataBase-Method (when you look at it in the Object-Explorer - or alternatively with the "Intellisense-PopUp")
    is defined as a Function which returns a cConnection.

So, it does make a "full-copy" (Schema and Data) from an existing File- or InMemory-DB Connection,
    into a new (File- or InMemory-DB) - also already returning the new cConection-instance of the new DB (in opened state).

Meaning, you will have to call .CopyDataBase on a successfully *opened* "Source-Connection":
    Code:
      Set SrcCnn = '... open your SrcCnn from a file-db for example
      '...
      'now make a "full copy" into an InMemory-Destination-Connection
      Dim DstCnn As cConnection
      Set DstCnn = SrcCnn.CopyDataBase() '<- the optional Params are left out, because their defaults are already set, to make an InMem-Copy
    If you want your InMem-DB-Copy only "with the Schema" (only the Table-Defs and Index-Defs, without Data),
    you could just loop over the Tables in the DstCnn, clearing them of all the Data:
    Code:
        Dim DstCnn As cConnection
        Set DstCnn = SrcCnn.CopyDatabase()

Dim Tbl As cTable
        For Each Tbl In DstCnn.DataBases(1).Tables
          DstCnn.Execute "Delete From " & Tbl.NameInBrackets
          Debug.Print Tbl.Name
        Next
    But this could be somewhat inefficient, in case the Source-FileDB was a bit on the larger side (> 1MB or something).

So, alternatively you could just loop over the Tables (and also the defined Indexes) in the Source-DB -
    and then re-create them "from scratch" in the Destination-Connection like this:
    Code:
        Dim DstCnn As cConnection, Tbl As cTable, Idx As cIndex
        Set DstCnn = New_c.Connection(, DBCreateInMemory)

For Each Tbl In SrcCnn.DataBases(1).Tables
          DstCnn.Execute Tbl.SQLForCreate
          For Each Idx In Tbl.Indexes
            DstCnn.Execute Idx.SQL
          Next
        Next
    HTH

Olaf

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    If you want your InMem-DB-Copy only "with the Schema" (only the Table-Defs and Index-Defs, without Data),
    you could just loop over the Tables in the DstCnn, clearing them of all the Data:
    If a parameter such as OnlyCopySchema could be added to the CopyDataBase-method, that would be great.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dreammanor View Post
    If a parameter such as OnlyCopySchema could be added to the CopyDataBase-method, that would be great.
    Probably not going to happen for several reasons:
    - CopyDataBase suggests (MethodName-wise) a "full copying" of the DB (and it does so under the covers, by using the page-wise operating SQLite-Backup-API)
    - the code to implement your own "Schema-Copy"-function (using the last snippet in post #4 above) is quite short
    - the problem does (IMO) not really exist, because one can always ship ones App with a (Schema-wise complete, but data-wise empty) "DB-to-copy-from" in a resource-blob or -folder.

HTH

Olaf

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Probably not going to happen for several reasons:
    - CopyDataBase suggests (MethodName-wise) a "full copying" of the DB (and it does so under the covers, by using the page-wise operating SQLite-Backup-API)
    - the code to implement your own "Schema-Copy"-function (using the last snippet in post #4 above) is quite short
    - the problem does (IMO) not really exist, because one can always ship ones App with a (Schema-wise complete, but data-wise empty) "DB-to-copy-from" in a resource-blob or -folder.

HTH

Olaf
    Well, what you said makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for all.