Thread: Copy Paste Shortcut key

Banned

Question Copy Paste Shortcut key

How do i add a copy , paste , cut, delete shortcut key to my appliaction

Re: Copy Paste Shortcut key

It depends. If you are using a ToolStripMenuItems for the commands, then you'd assign the ShortcutKeys property equal to the various combinations either in the designer or via code:
    Code:
    CopyToolStripMenuItem.ShortcutKeys = Keys.Control Or Keys.C
    Otherwise, if you just want a global command to reside on the Form, then generate the KeyDown event and check for the various combinations:
    Code:
    Private Sub Form1_KeyDown(sender As Object, e As KeyEventArgs) Handles Me.KeyDown
        If e.Control AndAlso e.KeyCode = Keys.C Then

ElseIf e.Control AndAlso e.KeyCode = Keys.X Then

'ElseIf etc.. Then...

End If
    End Sub
    Just be mindful that in this case you'd probably want to set the Form's KeyPreview property to True.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Actually, you may not need this. Windows already has such functionality that will work with textboxes, and I seem to remember that's what you were using. Ctrl+C is copy, Ctrl+V is paste, Ctrl+X is cut. Are you needing more than that?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Actually, you may not need this. Windows already has such functionality that will work with textboxes, and I seem to remember that's what you were using. Ctrl+C is copy, Ctrl+V is paste, Ctrl+X is cut. Are you needing more than that?
    I recently inherited an application to support and the previous programmer set up an "Edit" menu for cut, copy, paste. I'd post a picture but one of the first things I did was remove it and let standard Windows key combinations work. I got a lot of thanks for that...I had asked the users first before gutting it and not one person preferred the menu over keys. I say; let Windows work the way Windows works. That way all your apps are relatively consistent.

It used ToolStripMenuItems as mentioned in post #2.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I recently inherited an application to support and the previous programmer set up an "Edit" menu for cut, copy, paste. I'd post a picture but one of the first things I did was remove it and let standard Windows key combinations work. I got a lot of thanks for that...I had asked the users first before gutting it and not one person preferred the menu over keys. I say; let Windows work the way Windows works. That way all your apps are relatively consistent.

It used ToolStripMenuItems as mentioned in post #2.
    Not just that but, unless you have set the ContextMenuStrip property of a TextBox explicitly, right-clicking a TextBox will display the default context menu and that contains Cut, Copy and Paste items. The same goes for a ComboBox with its DropDownStyle set to DropDown, although not for a RichTextBox.