Thread: Developers Survey Results

Frenzied Member

Developers Survey Results

Just had a look at the 2018 Stack Overflow Developer Survey. It more or less poo-pooed VB6 as a developer's tool, but I found a couple of the results a little interesting.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Linux and Windows Desktop or Server are the most common choices that our respondents say they have done development work for this year.
    Linux - 48.3%
    Windows Desktop or Server - 35.4%
    Android - 29.0%
    AWS - 24.1%
    Mac OS - 17.9%
    We asked our respondents what operating systems they use for work. About half said they mainly use Windows, and the remainder were about evenly split between MacOS and Linux.
    Windows - 49.9%
    MacOS - 26.7%
    Linux-based - 23.2%
    Although most developers have done work for Linux, it is the least used by developers. Windows still remains the dominant operating system, or am I reading more into this than I should? Is most of that Linux work server based?

J.A. Coutts

PowerPoster

Re: Developers Survey Results

I suspect that Linux desktop users are mainly contrarians who self-identify as gamers.

They probably also still cling to the pointless task of buying "lego block" pieces of hardware. They assemble them into awkward and more expensive than necessary boxes with a host of problems (drivers, marginal components like SSDs, overclocked CPUs, GPUS, and RAM, fast-to-die over-rated hard drives... the list goes on and on). I suppose in that community this is useful as bragging rights/street cred, and helps them all pretend they have some sort of skill of value. But hey, while their box may need to be kicked or sprayed with freon to get it running at least it likely has all sorts of multicolored lights shining out through various vents and windows.

Actual Linux desktop development is probably rare as such things go. Most of that is probably actually scripting, just as 99% of Linux server "development" tends to be. The majority of that scripting is probably "web secretarying" - a skill very little different from creating Word documents with a few macros copy/pasted into them aside from the fact that many think it is 'leet to hand-write the HTML, making it more like DOS WordPerfect or something. The motivation being much like that of the "lego assemblers" in trying to feel better about themselves and command street cred among their inbred peers.

While there are exceptions to all of that... they are rare. Much of that may also apply to Mac users, both Linux and Mac users basically being what a radio amateur might call an "Appliance Operator." For all we know most of those "using Windows at work" are probably the same thing: end users and web secretaries.

StackOverflow is a pit of mediocrity and their surveys are meaningless.