Thread: [RESOLVED] Client Can't Connect Using External IP Address

Resolved [RESOLVED] Client Can't Connect Using External IP Address

I dunno if I'll ever get an answer to this question since noone posted anything here in this section over and above past 75 days
    And hopefully I am able to get an answer without showing any code

Ok, so basically I wanted to mess around with network programming again. But before I can even begin to tell you my problem, here is how my computer is setup:

• I'm using Windows 10.
    • I have the internet setup with 2 routers interlinked to one another.
    • Both have firewalls on.
    • Both have port 3504 port forwarded.
    • Both have port forwarding enabled.
    • Only one router has DMZ enabled to my local IP.
    • Windows firewall is also on.
    • Both my server and client have been added to exceptions Incoming and Outgoing.
    • 3504 is also added to exceptions.
    • telnet localhost 3504 works
    • telnet some external ip of mine i got from whatismyip.com and PFPortchecker 3504 does NOT work.
    • ping my external ip works.
    • PFPortChecker successfully sent a packet through 3504.

Ok so far so good. Especially if PFPortchecker successfully sent a packet. Just that for some reason telneting my external ip through 3504 did not work. But pinging does. Now in my applications I wrote in c++ using winsock2, both the server and clients connect just fine using my local ip address. I found out from another website that on the server end, I can't bind my server using an external ip address. You can only bind using a local ip address. As for the client end, if I were to make it remote, I would need to use an external ip to connect this server. And this is where I ran into a problem. Both my Server and Client have error handling with the error messages displaying, and after a minute of my client trying to connect to the server, my client says: "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond." This doesn't make any sense if it connects ok using local ip addresses, as well as my PFPortchecker having no trouble sending a packet through. I honestly do not think this is a code issue, and clearly it must be another. If anyone has any clue as to what I am missing after all the details I have given, let me know. But if it is a code issue, I'll reveal it if I must. Thanks in advance, and I hope to God someone sees this

Re: Client Can't Connect Using External IP Address

Nevermind. The problem is, is that you cant connect using an external ip address on the same machine as the server. Only the internal ip address. I would have no choice but to use another machine that the server doesnt run on. And last night, I did! I made an android app to connect to the server thats on my pc. Nothing special. Just enough code to connect. And sure enough using an external ip address, it does! Problem solved.