Thread: How To Make A Login System With Wordpress SQL Database?

Hyperactive Member

How To Make A Login System With Wordpress SQL Database?

Alright so I am a dude who gets all kinds of crazy ideas and then hopes to achieve them only to realize that things are way more difficult then I had hoped for but here I am with a new project idea that seems pretty difficult for me. I hope to break it down and do it in parts. I want to make a program where people can create an account then login, have the program verify the user and then they can access everything else. So I want to just try to start here first. I realize I would need a login form that would also have create account link on it, when clicked it will have text fields for Name, Screen Name, Password etc.. button for account creation.

ok but when the login button is clicked it would need to connect to an SQL database. I am going to connect this with a wordpress website this way they could also login on the website. This would be ideal. ok I will need some help trying to figure this out and get it going I hope to connect with some friendly folks here on this project of mine. I have the basic ideas but really need some help trying to figure some things out.

Since I have no accounts I want to start by creating an account myself. I have a webhosting account that I can setup for this.. I can setup a wordpress site and I hope to interface with it and add the user accounts to the sql database, also being compatible with how wordpress does user accounts.. so the user can login via the desktop software as well as through the wordpress website.

Re: How To Make A Login System With Wordpress SQL Database?

Fortunately this is easy since it is built-in. Seriously. Install & build your WP site and poke around... you'll find there's user management built-in right into WP. You can create writers, editors, contributors, it should all be right there.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

ok I guess it may have sounded not as expected, I mean, to make a visual basic .net Program that can:

1: Create an Account For New Users and Store Their User Data (their account information) in an online SQL database
    2: Then, with the program be able to now Login Retrieving their user account information and have the program verify this is correct.

I have WordPress I want to make my .net program be able to create a WordPress account and retrieve the necessary information.

will want to add other features after this such as user profiles, and making posts from the .net program and updating it to the wordpress website.

It's generally One question per thread & One thread per question. You, don't appear to be actually asking any question just stating what you want an entire application to do. We wont write an application for you.

For the integration with your WordPress website, do you intend for this to run with ASP.NET, PHP, or something else entirely?
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

WP is built using PHP, so that's going to be the Server-side tech for sure... the client side, sounds like he wants VB.NET.

Fortunately WP does expose an API through their XML-RPC I know it can be used to make posts and comments and other content-related items, what I don't remember is if it can be used to create users as well. You'd have to take a look at it. It's in the WP-Admin folder. You may want to also read through their extensive documentation on it, as well as checking out their online community, which is very active and highly knowledgeable.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

Thanks techgnome, you know whats up.. Yeah VB interfacing with Wordpress (PHP and SQL) I am not sure how it's done but yes Wordpress has active forums I am going to see if someone can guide me on this.. Thanks

You're going to want to look at the XML-RPC module of WP for starters... that's what you're going to interface with. From the VB side, use HTTPClient or WebClient (this is a good break down of which one to use) to initiate the calls to the XML-RPC.

-tg