Thread: [RESOLVED] Filling combo box with with a filter from a different combo box

Threaded View

Resolved [RESOLVED] Filling combo box with with a filter from a different combo box

Hello,
    I use Visual studio 2015, and Access 2016 and I am trying to fill a combo box with a select statement with a filter from another combo box.

Such as if combo box 1 contains State(AK) then In combo box 2 I want to show counties that are in that state (4)from the complete list of counties (3077). Don't want to show the Number I want to show the name of county. Yes the database is there and the table does have state(by 2 letter abrev. and the county by name) Here is the code for the State that works, and the County that doesn't :

Public Sub GetHState()

'Gets the State's to show in comboBox his state

Dim mcall = lblCall.Text
    Dim ds As New DataSet
    Dim dt As New DataTable
    ds.Tables.Add(dt)
    Dim da As New OleDbDataAdapter

'------------ FROM HERE THE NEXT LINES SET UP THE CONNECTION STRING FOR USER'S DATABASE------------------

Dim strFilePrefix = "NetControl"
    Dim strFileSuffix = ".accdb"
    Dim databaseFile As String = "C:\RRLogger Data\" & strFilePrefix & strFileSuffix
    Dim conString = "Provider = Microsoft.Ace.OLEDB.12.0; Data Source= " & databaseFile

'--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    con.ConnectionString = conString

con.Open()

da = New OleDbDataAdapter("Select State From State1", con) '

da.Fill(dt)

con.Close()

'CLEar combobox
    cmbHState.Items.Clear()

'FILL COMBOBOX
    For Each R As DataRow In dt.Rows
    cmbHState.Items.Add(R("State"))

Next

'DISPLAY FIRST RECORD
    cmbHState.Text = CType(dt.Rows(0).Item(0), String)

End Sub

Private Sub GetMCounty()

' Dim Access As New DbControl
    'Dim mcall = lblCall.Text
    Dim ds As New DataSet
    Dim dt As New DataTable
    ds.Tables.Add(dt)
    Dim da As New OleDbDataAdapter

'------------ FROM HERE THE NEXT LINES SET UP THE CONNECTION STRING FOR USER'S DATABASE------------------

Dim strFilePrefix = "NetControl"
    Dim strFileSuffix = ".accdb"
    Dim databaseFile As String = "C:\RRLogger Data\" & strFilePrefix & strFileSuffix
    Dim conString = "Provider = Microsoft.Ace.OLEDB.12.0; Data Source= " & databaseFile

'--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    con.ConnectionString = conString

con.Open()

da = New OleDbDataAdapter("SELECT County FROM County WHERE State = cmbhState.Text", con)

da.Fill(dt)

con.Close()
    'CLEar combobox
    cmbMCounty.Items.Clear()

For Each R As DataRow In dt.Rows
    cmbMCounty.Items.Add(R("County"))
    Next

'DISPLAY FIRST RECORD

End Sub

When I run it I get the error...... Message "No value given for one or more required parameters." String

Please help?????
    Last edited by MikeDelke; Mar 4th, 2018 at 11:10 AM.