dcsimg

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Change System Time without elevation

I have been my developing my main app (intended for Student/Hospital Radio) for years without problems.

It was suggested to me quite strongly recently (thanks Dil) that I shouldn't be elevating in the manifest.
    I thought this was reasonable and went to the trouble of ensuring nothing trips the UAC.

It's been reported to me that the Auto Time Update function doesn't now do anything, I have tested and they are right! If I run the exe as Administrator, the function works ok.

I use an NTP client and it certainly gets the correct time elevated or not. It's just setsystemtime fails silently without elevation.

So, is there any way to set the system time without elevation?

PowerPoster

Re: Change System Time without elevation

I'm not sure why you need to mess with this.

Windows already has a service running that updates the time periodically using NTP. You can configure a time server for it to use.

Bot no, if you want to alter the system state like this you must be running elevated.

Hyperactive Member

As you can imagine a Radio Station needs an accurate clock. Student/Hospital radio cannot afford the 1000+ clocks intended for a professional station. In the middle of my main form's toolbar is a clock which, with the help of NTP, was extremely useful. The inbuilt NTP only seems to fire every couple of days allowing PC clocks to drift by a couple of seconds which will not do.

So I will either have to go back to elevated or get every user to install the NTP service which updates often. Many Thanks.

Frenzied Member

deleted
    Last edited by Magic Ink; Mar 3rd, 2018 at 06:31 PM.

PowerPoster

Surely there is a way to configure the Windows Time Service to update more frequently?

Frenzied Member

Hyperactive Member

Thank you Magic. I had already seen your first link and rejected it on the grounds of complexity. These people are good music presenters but technical, nah!
    The second link was very interesting until I came to install the tool that does the job for you. It wants me to install the .net framework 3.5 which includes .net 2.0 and .net 3.0. Nah!

I've been to the closest of the stations this morning and installed the NTP service on their machines. It was easy and actually seems to run very well. We will wait now for a week or so. to see what happens.

https://www.meinbergglobal.com/engli...htm#ntp_stable

Many thanks for your interest.

Frenzied Member

Re: [RESOLVED] Change System Time without elevation

Pleased to hear you are getting somewhere with it.
    Incidentally my Googling turned up this http://www.windowstimestamp.com/description which looks like a good reference material on things time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Grant
    I had already seen your first link and rejected it on the grounds of complexity. These people are good music presenters but technical, nah!
    You can create task scheduler job programmatically, even just with a single line in bat-file as well as a registry tweak.

About reliable manual resynking using Windows time service see also this answer.

By the way, in response to the initial question, you can actually use the Windows group policy editor to give set time permission to non-admin users (at least it worked in older Windows versions). But it is likely going to be overridden by domain policy or set back to the default because doing that is generally a bad idea that opens security holes.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...he-system-time