dcsimg

Thread: MDI Project What is The Best Way To Add Toolbar?

Lively Member

MDI Project What is The Best Way To Add Toolbar?

Ok I am trying to make a project with a toolbar as a main thing in the project where user have various options, Menus above it in main form and also not exactly buttons but some clickable images on one side and a media player on the right side.

I see we have a toolstrip control and it has buttons labels and such but what about if I wanted to add a music player to this toolstrip? How could I do that?
    Last edited by DreamWarrior77; Mar 3rd, 2018 at 01:52 AM.

Re: MDI Project What is The Best Way To Add Toolbar?

The ToolStripHostControl class can be used to host just about any control on a ToolStrip. As an example, the ToolStripComboBox class is actually derived from the ToolStripHostControl class and its ComboBox property refers to a standard ComboBox control.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

Lively Member

well lets say I have a small form for my media player how would I be able to embed it into the toolbar?

That would be the ideal option, I could also shorten the width of the toolstrip and then somehow add/embed the media player form?
    Last edited by DreamWarrior77; Mar 3rd, 2018 at 02:50 AM.

You wouldn't embed a form but rather a control. A form is strictly a control too but if you want a composite control then you should create a user control first, then you can add that to a form or host it in a ToolStripHostControl. You should search the web for examples of inheriting ToolStripHostControl and make an attempt at doing it for your control, then post back if you have specific issues.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

Lively Member

ok well I have not tried to program in many years so I am new to vb .net and how things are done or best done. I used to make a music player with a form, but you are saying you can also do this with a composite control. What is the difference in these 2 methods? Media Player with just a form and controls on it verses a composite control?

A user control is a bit like the client area of a form (missing the borders and title bar), and you can put one or more controls in it, along with any code (in this case, pretty much the same code you would have in the form version).

Once you have made a user control you can then put it in other places you would put other controls (such as textboxes etc), including on a form, or in this case inside a ToolStripHostControl.

There is a guide here to get you started (and may be all the info you need):
    https://www.codeguru.com/columns/vb/...sual-basic.htm

Lively Member

Awesome Thanks