dcsimg

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Select Case issue

I am working to get a better understanding of some of the workings of VBasic. So in keeping with that, I tried the code below, instead of the method I might normally use. I have three radio buttons, with one of them checked as default.

This didn't work and goes to Case Else, no matter which of the radio buttons I check.

It was my belief that I had set the cases so that the case would be carried out if that particular radio button was checked. Obviously I was wrong. So where did I go wrong?
    Code:
                    Select Case CheckState.Checked
                        Case radAutograph.Checked = True
                            intPrice = CInt(cintAutograph)
                        Case radSuperhero.Checked = True
                            intPrice = CInt(cintHero)
                        Case radConvention.Checked = True
                            intPrice = CInt(cintConvention)
                        Case Else
                    End Select

Re: Select Case issue

I think you went wrong on the first line, but I'd have to say that I'm slightly surprised at the outcome. Consider this: What is CheckedState.Checked, and what type do you expect it to be?

I believe the answer is that it is an integer with a nearly arbitrary value, or else it is simply a single item in the CheckedState enum. After all, CheckedState is an enum, and every enum can be cast to an integer, though whether or not this will happen in this case I'm not clear on. All of your cases evaluate to either True or False. If those implicitly converted to an integer, then there would be a chance that one would match CheckedState.Checked, if that also implicitly converted to an integer, but there's certainly no guarantee that this will be the case.

So, what you have written might also be written like this:

Select Case n
    Case SomethingIsTrue
    'Do something
    Case SomethingElseIsTrue
    'Do something
    Case AnotherThingIsTrue
    'Do something
    Case Else
    'Do something
    End Select

It seems like there would be a chance that n would happen to match one of the items being true, but no guarantee, and almost certainly not if Option Strict is ON...though if Option Strict is ON, I'm a bit surprised that it would even compile. In any case, if n<>True, then the Else statement would be reached.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

It occurred to me that the first line might be where the problem was/is. I did notice that the value for CheckedState.Checked = 1, but thought that merely was equivalent to being True. Option Strict is not on, because this is just a few things I am noodling in an effort to have a better idea what all is going on with a code set and to try doing some things in different ways.

So what is n? I am not clear on that.

Code:
    Select Case True
        Case radAutograph.Checked
            intPrice = CInt(cintAutograph)
        Case radSuperhero.Checked
            intPrice = CInt(cintHero)
        Case radConvention.Checked
        Case Else
    End Select

Hyperactive Member

Ahhh, Bach. Thanks Paul.

Re: [RESOLVED] Select Case issue

An enum can always be cast to an integer. You can state what integer each value is, but you don't HAVE to. So you can do either of these:
    Code:
    Public Enum MySetOfThings
     FirstThing
     SecondThing
     Third Thing
    End Enum

Public Enum MySetOfThings
     FirstThing = 0
     SecondThing = 400
     Third Thing = 7
    End Enum
    If you don't specify a value for each member of the enum, it gets one anyways. So, when you saw that CheckedState.Checked was 1, that just means that the Checked member of the enum was given a value of 1. It didn't have to be, it could have been anything. However, since you know that it is 1, then n would be 1 in that example:
    Code:
    Select Case 1
     Case SomethingOtherThan1
      'This won't get hit.
     Case SomethingElseOtherThan1
      'This won't get hit.
     Case Else
      'Since the others aren't hit, this will be.
    End Select
    If 1 was True, then it might work, but True doesn't have to be anything in particular, let alone 1. Option Strict ON would have prevented implicit conversions. What you were doing was exploring implicit conversions in a way that isn't safe. Had the code worked, it would have worked because CheckedState.Checked happened to convert to something that True also could be converted to. Had you then learned that you could use CheckedState.Checked to mean True, then you would be depending upon something that could easily change. I'm pretty sure that would be technically undefined behavior that you'd be relying on. In coding, undefined behavior means: This may be true now, but only by accident, so it is free to change without warning.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing