dcsimg

Thread: Using 1-wire in Visual Basic

Using 1-wire in Visual Basic

I have just loaded Visual Studio 2017 with the intention of using Visual Basic for 1-wire temperature measurement and logging.

I have access to my 1-wire network via a USB device using Maxim 1-wire drivers. This works well.

How do I access theses devices with VB? Has someone got a simple example of reading a device in VB?

Many Thanks, Brian

Addicted Member

Re: Using 1-wire in Visual Basic

Doing a quick Google I see Maxim have a 1 wire SDK with VB.Net examples, that is where I would start.

Yes, I found them earlier but neither I nor Visual Studio can make head nor tail of them - I will keep looking and experimenting.

Addicted Member

From what I saw it uses a serial connection to a PC, if you have the protocol I am sure you will get help here.

What issues was VS having with the SDK? If such a thing is provided, then that's certainly going to be easier than trying to work out that stuff on your own, so pursuing the issues with the SDK is where I'd be starting.

What steps did you take?
    What happened?
    Which version of VS are you using?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I took a look at the help section. Looks like you'd want the OW.NET version, which is a LONG ways out of date, but that may just be because it hasn't changed any. It targets FW 2.0, which may not be installed on your system. It was installed on all Windows of certain versions, but I believe it has been dropped more recently. Not sure about that, but that's no roadblock.

I am using vs 2017.VS won't convert the V basic (6?) to the .net version.

I will look further in the morning.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I didn't see a VB6 version. I see three versions. One is for Compact Edition, which probably is totally defunct. I'm not sure that .NET CE went past Framework 1.1, and you wouldn't be able to use that. There's also an API that appears to be lower level. That one's not .NET, but can still be used, though not as easily. The OW.NET version looks like the one to use, and that IS a reasonable .NET version, though a bit dated. The documentation also had a link to a SourceForge project that sounded like it might have been somewhat more up to date, but it looks like it was last updated in 2008, so it's not very recent, either. That shouldn't matter, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I didn't see a VB6 version. I see three versions. One is for Compact Edition, which probably is totally defunct. I'm not sure that .NET CE went past Framework 1.1, and you wouldn't be able to use that. There's also an API that appears to be lower level. That one's not .NET, but can still be used, though not as easily. The OW.NET version looks like the one to use, and that IS a reasonable .NET version, though a bit dated. The documentation also had a link to a SourceForge project that sounded like it might have been somewhat more up to date, but it looks like it was last updated in 2008, so it's not very recent, either. That shouldn't matter, though.
    The VS 2008 (.Net 2.0) one should be able to be upconverted to VS 2017 and at least target the 4.0 FW without issue, but I wont be able to test it since I don't have one of those devices.