Thread: How to get the right code to make it work ?

How to get the right code to make it work ?

Hi everyone, I am new on VB and recently I have a project in building a simple mp3 player. I come out with the design but I need some help with coding for some button and listbox....
    my question is :
    1. for [button 3] , I want to use it to search only folders (not file) in my computer, so the folder come out to the Listbox2. Then when I click the folder in the ListBox2, the files(songs name.mp3) will show up in the ListBox1. What is the code for this ?
    2. How to make auto play NEXT song after previous song ended ?

Name:  Untitled2.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  44.5 KB

I am sorry if I posted to the wrong thread,
    Thank you very much

Re: How to get the right code to make it work ?

Thread moved from CodeBank, which is for finished snippets rather than questions.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

1. Is the VB6 or a VB.Net variant? I suspect the latter...if so, will need to be moved once again.

2. Welcome to the Forum (Forums...or is that Fora???)

Sam

Hi, thanks for your reply. mine is VB.Net and where should I post a question about my project ? thanks again

Visual Basic .NET questions would go into the top forum of the same name. No need to post a new thread however, a Moderator will move this one now that we know where it should go.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Visual Basic .NET questions would go into the top forum of the same name. No need to post a new thread however, a Moderator will move this one now that we know where it should go.
    Thanks alot

@jdc...did you report this to Moderators so they COULD move it?

hi, I think the moderator said would move it, I am still waiting, maybe he forgot....

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    @jdc...did you report this to Moderators so they COULD move it?
    I didn't know if jdc reported it or not, so I did report it as a backup in case it wasn't reported. It appears the moderators are busy elsewhere, as there is another thread with posts that need to be moved which haven't been moved yet. It is all volunteer though so real life sometimes imposes on our forum life.

The moderator didn't forget, the moderator didn't know. I moved the thread from the CodeBank, but it was in the VB6 CodeBank, so I moved it to the VB6 forum. Now that it is .NET, it needed to be reported again (which it was), to let us know that it was still in the wrong place.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

so Is it in the right place already ? thanks alot, bcause I really need you guys to help me with my project.....

Sinecure devotee

Its in the right place, but your request is rather wide open and probably not too many people want to volunteer to spend their time narrowing down your requirements.

For instance if you hit Button 3, if you want it to search your whole disk looking for folders that contains mp3 files, that is a fairly long operation. Just open Windows explorer, and go to your root drive, and search for *.mp3 files and watch how long it takes.

I don't really feel like taking the time to work on an approach to search and gather the files you want and perhaps others don't want to either.

As far as knowing when one song has ended, and starting another, you can watch for the PlayStateChange event and look for PlayState = 8 'MediaEnded . {don't know if there is a named constant for 8, msdn example code has hardcoded literals}

You can then schedule the next song to be played. You can't actually start it from the event handler as that causes the media player to hang (I assume because you cause an event from an event handler which it doesn't handle correctly).
    I use the BeginInvoke method to cause the sub that starts the next song to execute after the current event handler sub is exited, so there is no conflict.

I'll post a fairly basic test I did of using the Windows Media Player from VB.Net. It is just a start, to test using the player, not a fully functional application.
    It will play audio files, and show a handful of different video file types as well.

Rather than add logic to the application that searches for files to play, I just accept files being dropped on the application.
    You run the program and open Windows Explorer yourself and find files that you want to play. You can select multiple files (not directories, but perhaps that is something you could add), and drag and drop them on the player.

The player loops through all the files dropped on it and pushes them onto a queue.
    If nothing is currently playing, it calls a dequeue sub, which pops one off the queue and plays it.
    When a song ends, another call to the dequeue sub pops off the next song and plays it.
    This continues until the queue is empty.

You can drag more files and drop them on the player while it is playing songs from the queue. New files dropped just get added to the queue, it doesn't interrupt or affect songs already in the queue.

If I was doing more than a simple test, I would be maintaining a list myself, and providing my own management of the list or lists, and providing list manipulation features, etc..., but this was just a quick test and I have no real interest in creating a custom media player at the moment.

It has only three buttons. If you hit stop, it stops playing the current song and moves on to the next from the queue.
    If you hit pause, it pauses the song. You have to hit play to continue after pausing.
    I only added a label to control volume at the end because someone wanted an example of controlling the volume.

I'll post this vs2010 version of the test player, and you can learn what you can from it, if anything.

p.s. Forgot to mention you can drag on the status label to change the play position.
    You also drag on the other label to change the volume.

In case someone is interested in looking at the code without downloading and unzipping, I'll post that as well.
    Code:
    Imports System.IO

Public Class Form1
      Dim songQueue As New Queue(Of String)
      Dim playing As Boolean
      Dim ProgressBrush As SolidBrush = New SolidBrush(Color.FromArgb(32, 0, 0, 255))
      Dim duration As Double, max As Double
      Dim place As Single
      Dim updatePlace As Boolean
      Dim videoExts As String = " .mp4 .mpg .mpeg .wmv .avi"  'List of some video type file extensions

Private Sub Form1_DragDrop(sender As Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.DragEventArgs) Handles Me.DragDrop
        Dim s() As String
        s = e.Data.GetData(DataFormats.FileDrop)
        For i As Integer = 0 To UBound(s)
          songQueue.Enqueue(s(i))
        Next

If Not playing Then
          playing = True
          DeQueue_a_song()
        End If
      End Sub

Private Sub DeQueue_a_song()
        If songQueue.Count > 0 Then
          AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.URL = songQueue.Dequeue()

Dim ext As String = Path.GetExtension(AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.URL)  'Get the file's extension

ext = ext.ToLower()                                'convert it to lower case
          If videoExts.IndexOf(ext, 0) > 0 Then              'if it is in the list of video file extensions Then
            AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.uiMode = "None"            '  Make sure the wmp gui is not shown
            AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.stretchToFit = True        '  Stretch the video to fit the window (window will resize with form)
            AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.Visible = True             '  make the wmp window visible
          Else                                               'Else (assume it is an audio file
            AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.Visible = False            '  hide the video window
          End If
        Else
          Me.Text = "Queue Empty"
          playing = False
        End If
      End Sub

Private Sub Form1_DragEnter(sender As Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.DragEventArgs) Handles Me.DragEnter
        e.Effect = DragDropEffects.All  'won't get drop event if you don't set e.Effect to something
      End Sub

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        Timer1.Interval = 200
        Timer1.Start()
      End Sub

Private Sub btnStop_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnStop.Click
        '  AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.Ctlcontrols.stop()
        DeQueue_a_song() 'just move on to the next song if Stop clicked
      End Sub

Private Sub btnPause_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnPause.Click
        AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.Ctlcontrols.pause()
      End Sub

Private Sub btnPlay_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnPlay.Click
        AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.Ctlcontrols.play()
        playing = True
      End Sub

Private Sub AxWindowsMediaPlayer1_MediaError(sender As Object, e As AxWMPLib._WMPOCXEvents_MediaErrorEvent) Handles AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.MediaError
        Try
          ' If the file is corrupt or missing, show the 
          ' hexadecimal error code and URL.
          Dim errSource As WMPLib.IWMPMedia2 = e.pMediaObject
          Dim errorItem As WMPLib.IWMPErrorItem = errSource.Error
          MessageBox.Show("Media error " + errorItem.errorCode.ToString("X") _
                          + " in " + errSource.sourceURL)

Catch ex As InvalidCastException
          ' In case pMediaObject is not an IWMPMedia item.
          MessageBox.Show("Player error.")

Finally 'move on in any case
          Me.BeginInvoke(Sub() DeQueue_a_song())  'file had an error, move on to the next one
        End Try
      End Sub

Private Sub AxWindowsMediaPlayer1_PlayStateChange(sender As Object, e As AxWMPLib._WMPOCXEvents_PlayStateChangeEvent) Handles AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.PlayStateChange

Select Case e.newState

Case 8  'Media Ended
            'We want to start another song, but can't do it from within a media player event handler,
            ' as it may cause it to hang (cause an event from within an event).
            ' We use BeginInvoke, which will call the sub later, after we've exited this event.
            Me.BeginInvoke(Sub() DeQueue_a_song())  'file had an error, schedule a try to move to next
        End Select
      End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
        If playing Then
          If updatePlace Then
            updatePlace = False
            AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.Ctlcontrols.currentPosition = place
          End If

Label1.Invalidate()  'Update the playing song's status
        End If
      End Sub

Private Sub Label1_MouseDown(sender As Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs) Handles Label1.MouseDown
        Dim pos As Single

pos = e.X
        max = Label1.ClientSize.Width
        If pos > max Then pos = max
        If pos < 0 Then pos = 0
        Dim ds As String = "00:" & AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.currentMedia.durationString
        duration = TimeSpan.Parse(ds).TotalSeconds
        place = duration * (pos / max)
        updatePlace = True
      End Sub

Private Sub Label1_MouseMove(sender As Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs) Handles Label1.MouseMove
        If e.Button = Windows.Forms.MouseButtons.Left Then
          Dim pos As Single

pos = e.X
          If pos > max Then pos = max
          If pos < 0 Then pos = 0
          place = duration * (pos / max)
          updatePlace = True
        End If
      End Sub

Private Sub Label1_Paint(sender As Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs) Handles Label1.Paint
        Dim pos As Double = AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.Ctlcontrols.currentPosition
        Dim dss As String

If AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.currentMedia IsNot Nothing Then

place = 0
          If duration >= 1 Then
            place = pos * (max / duration)
          End If

e.Graphics.FillRectangle(ProgressBrush, 0, 0, place, Label1.ClientSize.Height)
          dss = String.Format("{0},   {1}    {2}", AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.currentMedia.name, _
                                             AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.Ctlcontrols.currentPositionString, AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.currentMedia.durationString)
          Dim p As Single = max - e.Graphics.MeasureString(dss, Me.Font).Width
          e.Graphics.DrawString(dss, Me.Font, Brushes.Black, p, 0)
        End If
      End Sub

Private Sub Label2_MouseDown(sender As System.Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs) Handles Label2.MouseDown
        If e.Button = Windows.Forms.MouseButtons.Left Then ProcessVolumeInput(sender, e)
      End Sub

Private Sub Label2_MouseMove(sender As Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs) Handles Label2.MouseMove
        If e.Button = Windows.Forms.MouseButtons.Left Then ProcessVolumeInput(sender, e)
      End Sub

Private Sub ProcessVolumeInput(sender As System.Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs)
        Dim lbl As Label = DirectCast(sender, Label)
        Dim vol As Integer = 100 * (e.X / lbl.ClientSize.Width)  'convert to value relative to label width representing 100%
        vol = Math.Max(Math.Min(100, vol), 0)  'limit to 0 to 100 range
        AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.settings.volume = vol
        Label2.Invalidate()
      End Sub

Private Sub Label2_Paint(sender As Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs) Handles Label2.Paint
        Dim vol As Integer = AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.settings.volume
        Dim ds As String = vol.ToString  'the volume as a string

e.Graphics.FillRectangle(ProgressBrush, 0, 0, CInt((vol / 100) * Label2.ClientSize.Width), Label2.ClientSize.Height)
        Dim p As Single = (Label2.ClientSize.Width - e.Graphics.MeasureString(ds, Me.Font).Width) / 2 'center string
        e.Graphics.DrawString(ds, Me.Font, Brushes.Black, p, 0) 'draw volume text centered
      End Sub

End Class
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by passel; Mar 1st, 2018 at 04:28 PM.

hi passel, Thanks alot. I appreciate your help in giving me the idea how is my project supposed to be. but I still try hard to realize my simple idea. I have this simple design of mp3 player but I don't know the correct code. I've tried learn it from youtube, but still does not work correctly. I have 2 listbox in my mp3 design, the bottom one is for folder seach only ( I use folderBrowserDialog ) and the top right listbox is for playlist which is for mp3 file ( songs name only ). So, once I click Load Album button, it will search for folder then I click the folder, all files in the folder will come out in the bottom listbox and at the same time "songs.mp3" files come up in the upper right listbox. But I don't know the correct code for them. Could anyone help me please....thanks alot

This is exactly what I want my mp3 player looks like....( just a sample )
    Name:  Untitled13.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  55.2 KB
    Last edited by fortunatekidz; Mar 1st, 2018 at 10:52 PM.