Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: am I a Caveman ?

am I a Caveman ?

Hi,

somebody called me a Caveman yesterday.. why
    a) I don't (and never had) a Facebook account
    b) I don't (and never have done) do Twitter
    c) my wife and I decided last year (since we both want to retire in 5-6 years from now) let's get rid of our business Handy's;Smartphone

so since we made that decision I encounter more and more people
    saying.. eh.. what...are you serious... how can I contact you....my god you are a Caveman

I respond contact me during business hours on that number...

I would like to know if there are any more Caveman like me out there

regards
    Chris
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Re: am I a Caveman ?

I tried real hard to be the last person in my State to get a smartphone.. But when my company offered to pay for one I was stuck....

Many of my friends didn't understand that if they called me on my landline and I was home that I'd answer it..... agree to meet them for diner and then I'd show up... There is no need to call me while I'm enroute.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
    Hi,

somebody called me a Caveman yesterday.. why
    a) I don't (and never had) a Facebook account
    b) I don't (and never have done) do Twitter
    c) my wife and I decided last year (since we both want to retire in 5-6 years from now) let's get rid of our business Handy's;Smartphone

so since we made that decision I encounter more and more people
    saying.. eh.. what...are you serious... how can I contact you....my god you are a Caveman

I respond contact me during business hours on that number...

I would like to know if there are any more Caveman like me out there

regards
    Chris
    I don't have a smart phone and still have a land line. I will also open a door for a woman and say please and thanks to anybody and everybody. I was born in the early fifties so I'm after cavemen by just a bit though
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    I tried real hard to be the last person in my State to get a smartphone.. But when my company offered to pay for one I was stuck....

Many of my friends didn't understand that if they called me on my landline and I was home that I'd answer it..... agree to meet them for diner and then I'd show up... There is no need to call me while I'm enroute.
    well then your Half/Caveman ;-))

let's see who else will admit that they really don't want a Handy;Smartphone etc..

regards
    Chris
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I don't have a smart phone and still have a land line. I will also open a door for a woman and say please and thanks to anybody and everybody. I was born in the early fifties so I'm after cavemen by just a bit though
    early fifties .. wow .. I'm early 60's

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I have never had a Facebook or Twitter account or any other form of social media account, but i do have a Smart phone which i use a fair amount.

I dont do Selfies nor do i SnapChat but i am in a WhatsApp group with some old mates.

I dont spend much time talking on the phone, i prefer to meet with people face to face and engage with them Socially.

I dont know what i would call myself certainly not a Caveman as i am stuck firmly in the technological present but Social media passed me by i guess i just prefer to spend most of my time with actual people rather than virtual ones.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

No Facebook, no Twitter, no other social media, and I still have a flip phone. I also have a landline, though I never answer it. Basically, there were some other services I needed the landline for, and bundling in the phone saved money (weird).

Still, I wouldn't say I was a caveman. I just look like one....and occasionally smell like one.

I was trying to come up with anti-social media: Arsebook. Unfortunately, between that and the slogan ("put your best face forwards"), I couldn't really come up with anything. After all, by nature, anti-social people would tend not to gather, so it would just be a series of jokes. For example, rather than a poke, you'd send a moon. Rather than a thumbs up, it would still be a digit, just not the thumb, and so on.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hi Guy's

well I am surprised that you also don't have Facebook;Twitter etc..
    just about everybody I know has one or the other.

@NeedsomeAnswers
    I could not have said it better..
    i guess i just prefer to spend most of my time with actual people rather than virtual ones.
    do you Guy's get some funny comments when you say
    I don't have Facebook;Twitter ....etc...

regards
    Chris
    Last edited by ChrisE; Feb 27th, 2018 at 10:37 AM.

Sinecure devotee

I don't have use any social media either, although I wonder if this forum doesn't qualify in some way.
    I would think it is age related, mostly, as I was born in the 50s as well, but my Older sister and mother and father do quite a bit of social media type things, and skype, which I don't do either. So, it also comes down to perhaps how social you are in general as well. I have had an e-mail account since sometime in the 80s I believe, but I guess that doesn't count as social media.

Since I'm not that social in general, I guess the topic of not having Facebook or Twitter comes up too often, so haven't experienced any funny comments or looks that I can remember.

p.s. I do have a smart phone, but I don't really use it as a smart phone. I had a small phone that cost me about $7 a month to keep active, and I only turned in on when traveling. I managed to misplace it at some point, so when I replaced it went ahead and bought a small inexpensive android phone, using the same service with carried over minutes, so hasn't cost me any additional money at this point. Should still average a cost of around $7 a month when I end up buying minutes again. But since I'm not at my primary home as much, I do leave it on most of the time so that people can get a hold of me when I'm at another house which doesn't have a land line, only high speed internet (no TV either at that house).
    Its just a portable payphone for me, not a browser or e-mail tool.
    Last edited by passel; Feb 27th, 2018 at 11:25 AM.

Actually, when I mention that I'm not on Facebook, most of my friends say something along the lines of, "you're lucky", or "you're smart" I get the impression that there's a whole lot of dissatisfaction with FB out there. Everybody seems to have some story of the drama that can surround that site. Only my sister and father haven't made negative comments about it. Of course, people are more likely to make a negative comment than a positive comment about something like this, but the very number of negative comments is suggestive.

Cavemen are cool

I don't have any social media accounts - no facebook, no twitter, no linkedin, no instagram, no whatsapp etc etc. My mobile phone is of the 'stylish' non-smart flip design. No android devices either - not even a tablet! Although I must confess to having a smart TV (UK).

Think I'll get a badge made - Proud to be a caveman.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

I've got it all... FB, Twitter, Instagram, Pintrest, LinkedIn, smartphone. I don't do the SnapChat though... no reason to. So for what ever reason I've drawn the line there. It's arbitrary.

Now... that said, on most of those platforms, I'm simply a consumer... I'm looking for stuff - like right now I'm using LinkedIn to help with the job search and reaching out to recruiters. I use FaceBook mostly to keep in touch with family and friends - we've all grown up and moved all over the place, getting together isn't as simple as calling someone up and going out to dinner. Plus there's loads of cat memes that need to be shared. They don't share themselves. When it comes to Pintrest and Instagram, I joined those because they kept showing up in search results of things I was looking for (such as kayak haulers). I used to tweet, but I'm not that interesting. Now I use Twitter to keep up with local news (they tweet breaking news and other events) and to keep up with what's going on in certain technological circles.

Smartphone... most of the time it's less a phone and more of a communication platform. And at the moment, while I'm looking for a job, I can't really live without it. It's allowing me to reply to emails and respond to calls while I'm out and about doing other things.

I don't think social media is inherently bad... but some people do tend to take things too far, and there is a point of "over sharing" that... ok, look I do NOT need to know about your cat's pooping habits, ok?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Real "I'm Not a Caveman" have accounts on www.Nextdoor.com

It's a private social media for you and your neighbors.

I spend wayyyy toooo much time there seeing what my neighbors are up to.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

I only use FB to stay in touch with friends and for business, I post very seldom. I do have Instagram for business only. I do feel forums are social media and yet this is the only one I frequent. I refuse to get an iPhone and pay $1,000+ for it. I opted to get an Essentials phone which works great and only was $399 with the free 360 4k camera attachment. We don't have tv service or a landline phone. Amazon firestick with kodi ftw! I don't have time for sharing as much or as frequent as many others, heck I have 3 jobs. I just want sleep
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I have a Facebook account, but I'm thinking about closing it. It's to keep track of friends and family stateside, who hardly ever pick up the phone to call this outsider who never posts. They don't even take the time to message me since calling is so old-school to them. Our communication are replies to my comments on their posts. That's it!

My cell phone is over 10 years old. That thing is indestructable, and it only cost me $30. No way would I cough up $550 dollars for a smartphone that would break on it's first fall. My PC, digital & analog cameras are more reasons not to buy one.

I'm almost a caveman.

PowerPoster

No Twitter, no Facebook, LinkedIn but only due to business pressures and I avoid it.

Almost 100% retired now so I have a "smart" phone but only on a prepaid basis and not a usury contract plan. Total bill $100 US/year except in years where software bloat exceeds installed storage and I have to upgrade, and then I go with some modest alternative for around $100 from the carrier that should last another 3 years or so. So call it around $134/year.

I know people who pay that or more every 2 months for 1 phone. I know families with truly staggering monthly bills.

No data, but when I want that I just turn on the WiFi.

Can't really get rid of it because far too many home appliances and such now require an "app" to configure them. I could ditch the phone and use an Android tablet for that too though.

"Alexa, Post Quick Reply"

Pfew, I'm not a caveman, but then I was born in the sixties :-)

I really love my smartphone and do have some social media accounts.

The things I really like about the smartphone are the following apps:
    - WhatsApp (family and sport related groups)
    - Banking (for quick transfers of money, paying when doing online shopping)
    - Parking app (for all paid parking places in the Netherlands)
    - Sports apps (Garming Connect, Strava, Water polo competition)
    - KeePass (to manage all passwords needed today)
    - Streaming Video (like Netflix), using Chromecast to show it on the big screen.
    - Google Maps (for all traffic jams and have to avoid them)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Cavemen are cool

I don't have any social media accounts - no facebook, no twitter, no linkedin, no instagram, no whatsapp etc etc. My mobile phone is of the 'stylish' non-smart flip design. No android devices either - not even a tablet! Although I must confess to having a smart TV (UK).

Think I'll get a badge made - Proud to be a caveman.
    I like the badge Idea

regards
    Chris

Badges?!?!? We don't need no steenkin' badges!

You don't want to know.

Smartphones and social media are tools. Like many tools, they can be used to help you or to harm you.

I've got friends in every time zone from many different walks of life. Twitter's opened my eyes to what people who make minimum wage (or less!) go through in their lives. It's also enabled me to speak with people far outside my income bracket, and make friends with people who work at Microsoft and other major companies.

My wife met a friend via social media, and her husband is the reason I have my current job. The writer circle she met via Twitter has led to her meeting many influential people in her field. She's found three jobs through this social circle. Our dog has an Instagram account that gets us instant recognition practically anywhere in town, and invites to parties practically every weekend. We're buying a house from people initially met through these social circles.

A lot of these events could have/would have happened without smartphones and social media, but these applications made the required connections easier to find and maintain.

Very often, I wish I could turn it off. Right now, I have a great need to have email notifications turned on because I'm doing something very important and can't miss messages from certain people. It is frustrating to feel that little pocket vibration so often during the day. I don't like how often I check the phone. But it has paid many, many dividends to me, so I also don't really look forward to ever living a life without it.

At the same time, I think it's wrong to insult people with 'caveman' if they want to opt out. The older I get the more I see this.

If I "hustled more" I could have an even better job with an even higher salary, but I feel like that'll dramatically change my work/life balance and I'm as deep into work as I'd like. There are people who have and will continue to mock me because I don't wake up and drive Uber from 3AM-5AM, then show up to work 8AM-5PM, then drive Uber 6PM - 9PM for the "hustle". My opinion is I'd like to have time to enjoy the money I make, and giving up that time for more money makes no sense in that view.

So if I call people without smartphones "cavemen" I feel like I'm doing the same thing the people who mock me do. You're not "losing opportunities". You decided those opportunities and their "rewards" aren't worth the things you'd give up. That's cool. Live happy. Just don't devote your life to making others feel bad about the way they choose to live happy.

Also: I watch a lot of survivalist shows, or shows about people that live self-sufficiently, and I think "being a caveman" is underrated. If you've got the knowledge and skills to live with no external assistance, it looks like a damn fine way to live.
    Last edited by Sitten Spynne; Feb 28th, 2018 at 12:00 PM.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Badges?!?!? We don't need no steenkin' badges!
    yes your right, let's go for -Caveman Made club's-
    the Clients will get more respect that way;-))

King of sapila

No Facebook no twitter or any chat app at all.
    I just have company smartphone and my personal phone is a Windows mobile 6 .
    I use skype to talk to our business partners but that is it.
    A couple of months ago I was using,what is it....Errr, Can remember, it's that thing that you phone for free through the web .I was using it to talk to my girlfriend.
    So ugabougaougaaaa! I'm a caveman and I like it!
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Frenzied Member

I'm usually a bit reluctant when it comes to moving to new things. A few examples:
    -Still use Paint Shop Pro 5.0 from 1998 :-)
    -I really need to get myself a new computer. My current one is of over six years old.
    -I don't mind playing horribly outdated video games if I feel they're still worth playing. On the other hand I gave my computer a rather hard time forcing it to run Ori and the Blind Forest - which is a very nice game. Am waiting for the sequel - when it's released I'll have another reason to get a new computer.
    -I don't like e-readers and prefer to read ordinary books.
    -While I have a Facebook account I have no idea what I should publish or why any one would be interested. Only have it because I was curious about what others were putting there.
    -At the moment I'm rebuilding a bunch of Lego models I got/bought over 20 years ago. While I find the newer Lego interesting I personally don't want it between what I already have - at least not at the moment.

While I find new technology and such interesting, I've noticed I'm reluctant to actually using it myself.

BTW:
    While it's in my profile, I'm from 1979.

You may want to have a look at Paint.NET. I used PaintShop Pro for several years, cause it was either really cheap. Or maybe it was free and I was really cheap. Either way, I used it. However, Paint.NET is a pretty worthy replacement, and the price is right. On the other hand, I suck at art, so I don't need much.

Frenzied Member

You may want to have a look at Paint.NET. I used PaintShop Pro for several years, cause it was either really cheap. Or maybe it was free and I was really cheap. Either way, I used it. However, Paint.NET is a pretty worthy replacement, and the price is right. On the other hand, I suck at art, so I don't need much.
    Hehe, same here. Programming is much more focused than art, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Swinkels View Post
    I'm usually a bit reluctant when it comes to moving to new things. A few examples:
    -Still use Paint Shop Pro 5.0 from 1998 :-)

BTW:
    While it's in my profile, I'm from 1979.
    I still use Paint Shop Pro.;-))

you officially can apply for a -Caveman badge-

regards
    Chris

I believe I switched to Paint.Net when I needed better transparency and layers, and also the support for PNG.

Frenzied Member

I still use Paint Shop Pro.;-))

you officially can apply for a -Caveman badge-

regards
    Chris
    ROFLMAO! - even cavemen manage to use new things ... Ahem...

regards
    Peter
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Mar 12th, 2018 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Added a greeting.

Fire....good!!

Frenzied Member

Fire....good!!
    Yesss!!! OOMPA! Aaayyy, fire HOT!

HA!

Ok, so that was too short.

You don't want to know.

Fire is an incredibly stupid parlor trick.

We've heated our food with the magma from erupting volcanoes for ages. That's what's worked, and that's what we should keep using. We wisely let the magma flow where it will flow, but the fools using fire want to put it in their homes! Have you SEEN what fire does to houses?

Sure, Krakrox fell into the magma, but he was stupid. Lots of us have never fallen into magma. Therefore magma is safe. Everyone who uses fire is stupid.

The elders are surely going to see this folly and sacrifice the fire-people to the Leopard God any day now. I mean, less and less of us are showing up at the sixth magma pit, but once the new wears off, you'll be back.

Fire isn't even as hot as magma!
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sitten Spynne View Post
    Fire is an incredibly stupid parlor trick.

We've heated our food with the magma from erupting volcanoes for ages. That's what's worked, and that's what we should keep using. We wisely let the magma flow where it will flow, but the fools using fire want to put it in their homes! Have you SEEN what fire does to houses?

Sure, Krakrox fell into the magma, but he was stupid. Lots of us have never fallen into magma. Therefore magma is safe. Everyone who uses fire is stupid.

The elders are surely going to see this folly and sacrifice the fire-people to the Leopard God any day now. I mean, less and less of us are showing up at the sixth magma pit, but once the new wears off, you'll be back.

Fire isn't even as hot as magma!

Fire(wire) good...

Name:  computerCave2.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  26.0 KB

BlueTooth good

Frenzied Member

Fire(wire) good...

Name:  computerCave2.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  26.0 KB

BlueTooth good
    Nice picture! Heee. Humor bite? Ahem...

had to resurrect this thread

my wife and I wanted to visit the North(Sweden, Norway..etc..) on our next Vacation.
    But sombody said to me .. don't leave without your Smartphone, in over 90% the don't take Cash, only this-Stupidphone thingy....

I done a bit of research and it is seems true

well I've never owned a Handy-Smartphone, so there will be no Vacation up North and
    I'll stay in my Cave ..

I'm a true Caveman

but what about the Cavewoman?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Compared to other north/west countries in Europe, the Germans seem to be very attached to their physical money.
    I hardly ever have any cash with me, only cards and smartphone (with Apple pay).

King of sapila

In Greece we only use Cards because we get a deduction on our Yearly taxes by doing so.
    We have smartphone pay capabilities but I have yet to find a person that uses this...Well I think a show a colleague once, but not sure.
    When I reach the tax deduction limit I put the card to a drawer and only use it to get money from an ATM machine.
    Funny thing saying about Germans and Cash. Almost all ATM machine in "Greece are made in Germany. I have visited the company that makes them(there are 3 or 4 in the world that do so, so you get an idea what the company is) and provided the software and till recently(well 5 years ago, was my last interaction with them) everything, every bit of software that was coming from Germany to Greece, was written on VBA, not even VB.net. :P
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster

Hmm...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast