dcsimg

Thread: Merge 2 printing documents into one print file

Question Merge 2 printing documents into one print file

I use below code to do the print action of PrintDocument1 :

PrintDialog1.show

PrintDocument1.PrinterSettings = PrintDialog1.PrinterSettings

PrintDocument1.Print()

But this time I have 2 print Documents. I want to print them in one file , first page : printdocument1 , second page : printdocument2

Re: Merge 2 printing documents into one print file

Rather than have them as 2 print documents, do them as one (the first page being what you currently have for printdocument1, the second page what you have for printdocument2).

If you show us the code for them both, we can help you combine them appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    Rather than have them as 2 print documents, do them as one (the first page being what you currently have for printdocument1, the second page what you have for printdocument2).

If you show us the code for them both, we can help you combine them appropriately.
    well , long story to tell . I have a datagridview and a richbox . I want to print them both one after another in 2 pages.

according to my previous thread , friends suggested to use Merrion's DataGridPrinter class to do datagridview printing , And I decided to print a doc file instead of Richtextbox. So here is the code of clicking "Print" from Merrion's form menu and code for printing doc file I added to it :

Code:
     Private Sub MenuItem_File_print_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MenuItem_File_print.Click
            If GridPrinter Is Nothing Then
                GridPrinter = New DataGridPrinter(Me.DataGrid1)
            End If

With GridPrinter
                .HeaderText = Me.TextBox1.Text
                .HeaderHeightPercent = CInt(Me.NumericUpDown_HeaderHeightPercentage.Value)
                .FooterHeightPercent = CInt(Me.NumericUpDown_FooterHeightPercent.Value)
                .InterSectionSpacingPercent = CInt(Me.NumericUpDown_InterSectionSpacingPercent.Value)
                .HeaderPen = New Pen(CType(Me.ComboBox_ColourHeaderLine.SelectedItem, System.Drawing.Color))
                .FooterPen = New Pen(CType(Me.ComboBox_ColourFooterLine.SelectedItem, System.Drawing.Color))
                .GridPen = New Pen(CType(Me.ComboBox_ColourBodyline.SelectedItem, System.Drawing.Color))
                .HeaderBrush = CType(Me.ComboBox_HeaderBrush.SelectedItem, Brush)
                .EvenRowBrush = CType(Me.ComboBox_EvenBrush.SelectedItem, Brush)
                .OddRowBrush = CType(Me.ComboBox_OddRowBrush.SelectedItem, Brush)
                .FooterBrush = CType(Me.ComboBox_FooterBrush.SelectedItem, Brush)
                .ColumnHeaderBrush = CType(Me.ComboBox_ColumnHeaderBrush.SelectedItem, Brush)
                .PagesAcross = CInt(Me.NumericUpDown_PagesAcross.Value)
            End With

' Printing doc file

Dim p As New PrintDialog
            Dim app As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.Application
            Dim doc As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.Document

'Open file and print dialogs to get desired document and printer

If Dir("C:\MyFile.doc") <> "" Then

If p.ShowDialog = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then

'Create instance of Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word Application
                    app = New Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.Application

'Set Printer

app.WordBasic.FilePrintSetup(Printer:=p.PrinterSettings.PrinterName, DoNotSetAsSysDefault:=1)

'Set filename to object type

Dim m As Object = System.Reflection.Missing.Value

'Open document
                    doc = app.Documents.Open("C:\MyFile.doc", m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m, m)

'Print document
                    app.PrintOut()

'Close document
                    Try
                        app.Documents.Close()
                        'Quit Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word application
                        app.Quit()

'Release
                        app = Nothing
                    Catch ex As Exception

End Try

GridPrinter.PrintDocument.PrinterSettings = p.PrinterSettings

GridPrinter.Print()

End If

End If 
    end sub
    it actually prints both parts , but as 2 different files

I would suggest that you visit the VB.NET CodeBank forum and search for threads by Merrion, who is the local printing guru. They will include a beginners guide to printing and that will show you how to print multiple pages. It's pretty simple really. The PrintPage event is raised and you draw the contents of a printed page there. I you have more pages to print, you set e.HasMorePages to True and the event is raised again, allowing you to draw the contents of the next page. That goes on until there are no more pages to print, at which point you set e.HasMorePages to False, which is the default, and the event is no longer raised and the printing stops. You just need to keep track of where you're up to in the printing cycle. In your case, you just need a variable that says whether you're on the first page or the second so that you can draw the appropriate output.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I would suggest that you visit the VB.NET CodeBank forum and search for threads by Merrion, who is the local printing guru. They will include a beginners guide to printing and that will show you how to print multiple pages. It's pretty simple really. The PrintPage event is raised and you draw the contents of a printed page there. I you have more pages to print, you set e.HasMorePages to True and the event is raised again, allowing you to draw the contents of the next page. That goes on until there are no more pages to print, at which point you set e.HasMorePages to False, which is the default, and the event is no longer raised and the printing stops. You just need to keep track of where you're up to in the printing cycle. In your case, you just need a variable that says whether you're on the first page or the second so that you can draw the appropriate output.
    That's it , but printing a doc file is not a control to be drawn into the print page like a datagridview

Quote Originally Posted by charlie-j View Post
    That's it , but printing a doc file is not a control to be drawn into the print page like a datagridview
    You hadn't posted about using a DOC file when I started writing that post. You won't really be able to combine that with the output from a PrintDcument. They are two completely separate mechanisms. If you want one output then you must use a single mechanism to generate it.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL