dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] vs 2013 express, still available anywhere?

Resolved [RESOLVED] vs 2013 express, still available anywhere?

First question, anyone know if 2013 express edition is still available somewhere?

Am trying to support a third party API and don't think 2017 is going to work.

Am after the express edition to try and see if that'll work, and then have a source to purchase a full copy

Re: vs 2013 express, still available anywhere?

Google suggested https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/older-downloads/ as a way to get it, however 2013 is a bit dated now and you might be better off seeing if 2017 works - depending on the API there might not be any issues.

I believe that since 2013, it really didn't matter much which version you used. Prior to that (and possibly prior to 2012), you could target different frameworks, but if you opened a project made in an earlier version with a later version, the project was updated in a way that changed it. I think that from 2013 on, the project was unchanged by the version that opened the project. Thus I would suggest 2017, as well, though 2013 was a good version.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

There's no such thing as VS 2013 Express. The last version of VS to have Express editions was 2010. Since then, Community has been the free edition. Community is basically the same as Pro but free for most single developers.

I'm curious as to why you think that VS 2013 would work while VS 2017 wouldn't. I'm not aware of anything that would fall into that category, although there may be things I'm not aware of. Can you provide details? We may be able to set your mind at ease.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

Okay 2017 seems to be working fine

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    There's no such thing as VS 2013 Express. The last version of VS to have Express editions was 2010. Since then, Community has been the free edition. Community is basically the same as Pro but free for most single developers.

I'm curious as to why you think that VS 2013 would work while VS 2017 wouldn't. I'm not aware of anything that would fall into that category, although there may be things I'm not aware of. Can you provide details? We may be able to set your mind at ease.
    That would be because I have never used any versions of vcs and the documentation recommended 2013, but appears to work just fine in 2017

Re: [RESOLVED] vs 2013 express, still available anywhere?

Well, if you haven't used an early version, then you definitely should use 2017. After all, by doing that, you won't know about the few things that MS broke, and will only see the features that were added. Keeps your blood pressure down, that way.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing