Thread: Windows 2010 64 Bit

Windows 2010 64 Bit

I made a small program years ago using VB 2008 express and ran it on XP and Win 7 Machines
    6 years later I decided to try and run the program on windows 10 64 bit and having several issues
    In particular my progress bar no longer displays

Re: Windows 2010 64 Bit

Quote Originally Posted by billyboy630 View Post
    I made a small program years ago using VB 2008 express and ran it on XP and Win 7 Machines
    6 years later I decided to try and run the program on windows 10 64 bit
    Are you saying that you just ran the existing EXE or that you installed VB 2008 Express on Windows 10 and ran the project from there?
    having several issues
    We certainly can't address any issues that aren't described.
    In particular my progress bar no longer displays
    Are you saying that the ProgressBar controls are not visible at all or that they don't animate when you expect them to? Those are very different issues.

I installed VB 2008 Express and ran the project from there. The progress bar is not visible at all

It is a simple program that reads a text file into a datagridview and then loops through the records and obtains Latitude and Longitude for records that are missing that information
    that part of the program does not appear to be working correctly either. Google Maps responds with multiple Longitude and Latitude numbers under different nodes in the xml response so i am working through that as well

There are several issues progress bar is one I am also using Google Map API to retrieve missing Longitude and Latitude fields in my data and that does not be working as smoothly as before
    I downloaded VB 2008 and tried running the program from there. I was wondering there are some known issues with going to 64 bit

While there are potential issues from switching to 64-bit, the visibility of a progressbar is unlikely to be one of them (unless it is a non-standard progressbar that is explicitly 32-bit only, which is unlikely, and you should have had an error message). Most issues from moving to 64-bit are about file locations (if incorrectly coded) and certain database providers not being found.

A more likely issue is the graphics settings of the new computer being different to the old one, particularly in terms of DPI settings. This is only likely if the progressbar is near the bottom or right of the window.

Note that if your code is in the forms Load event then you may be getting errors without realising (it can hide them), a simple way to avoid this issue is to move the code to the forms Shown event instead.

Unfortunately you haven't really given us any detail (we only know the progressbar isn't visible, we don't know if it is supposed to always be visible or only when certain code runs, etc), so it is hard for us to guess what the issue(s) with it might be.