Thread: Key is not unique in collection

Key is not unique in collection

Hello all,

I am not very familiar with VB, I haven't used it in years, but I have an issue with some code that is in a MS access file. It is giving me a "Key is not unique in collection error".

The code is below:
    Code:
    Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

' Clears all nodes on a treeview control
    Sub ClearTreeView(tvwTree As TreeView)
        On Error GoTo EH
        tvwTree.Nodes.Clear
        Exit Sub
    EH:
        MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description
    End Sub

' Calls functions to clear and populate a treeview control
    ' Parameters:
    '       strForm         Name of the form
    '       strTV           TreeView control name
    '       strSourceName   Name of the table or query containing the data used to populate the treeview
    '       strChildField   ID field for the child records
    '       strParentField  Parent ID Field
    '       strTextField    Field containing text that will be used as node labels
    '
    Sub FillTreeView(tvwTree As Object, strSourceName As String, strChildField As String, strParentField As String, strTextField As String)
        Dim strSQL As String
        Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

On Error GoTo EH

' Open the recordset using table and fields specified in Sub parameters
        strSQL = "SELECT " & strChildField & ", " & strParentField & ", " & strTextField & " FROM " & strSourceName
        Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenDynaset)

' Clear any existing data out of the treeview
        ClearTreeView tvwTree

' Call recursive function to fill in treeview
        AddTreeData tvwTree, rs, strChildField, strParentField, strTextField

' Close the recordset
        rs.Close
        Set rs = Nothing
        Exit Sub
    EH:
    End Sub

' Recursive function to populate a treeview control
    ' Parameters:
    '       strFormName     Name of the form
    '       strTreeViewName TreeView control name
    '       rs              Recordset containing the data used to populate the treeview
    '       strChildField   ID field for the child records
    '       strParentField  Parent ID Field
    '       strTextField    Field containing text that will be used as node labels
    '       varParentID     Optional parameter that only gets passed for recursive calls to this function.  Specifies the ID of the current record to be used as a
    '                       ParentID when searching the recordset for "grand-children", etc.
    Sub AddTreeData(objTV As TreeView, rs As DAO.Recordset, strChildField As String, strParentField As String, strTextField As String, Optional varParentID As Variant)
        Dim nodChild As Node
        Dim nodParent As Node
        Dim strLabel As String
        Dim strNodeID As String
        Dim strCriteria As String
        Dim strBookmark As String

On Error GoTo EH

' Test for a circular reference
        If rs(strChildField) = rs(strParentField) Then GoTo EH_CircularReference

' If the optional parameter is missing, then this is the first(non-recursive) call to this function.
        ' Set the critieria to look for a parent id of 0.
        If IsMissing(varParentID) Then
            strCriteria = strParentField & " = 0 "
        Else
            ' Otherwise, extract the childID portion of the node ID, which was passed as an optional parameter.
            strCriteria = strParentField & " = " & Mid(varParentID, InStr(1, varParentID, "C") + 1)
            ' Define the parent node
            Set nodParent = objTV.Nodes("node" & varParentID)
        End If

' Look for records having the specified "parent"
        rs.FindFirst strCriteria
        Do Until rs.NoMatch
            ' Read node caption from the text field
            strLabel = rs(strTextField)
            ' Create a new node ID in the format ParentID &"C" & ChildID (eg: 4C12)
            strNodeID = "node" & rs(strParentField) & "C" & rs(strChildField)

' If optional parameter is missing (first call to this function)...
            If Not IsMissing(varParentID) Then
                'add new node to the next higher node for this record
                Set nodChild = objTV.Nodes.Add(nodParent, tvwChild, strNodeID, strLabel)
            Else
                ' Otherwise, add new node to the top level of the tree
                Set nodChild = objTV.Nodes.Add(, , strNodeID, strLabel)
            End If

' Bookmark our place in the recordset so that we can resume the search from the same point after the recursive call to this function.
            strBookmark = rs.Bookmark

' call this function recursively for "children"
            AddTreeData objTV, rs, strChildField, strParentField, strTextField, rs(strParentField) & "C" & rs(strChildField)

' Return to bookmared place in the recordset
            rs.Bookmark = strBookmark

' Find the next record having the same parentID
            rs.FindNext strCriteria
        Loop

Exit Sub

EH_CircularReference:
        MsgBox "Exiting because of a circular reference in which a child record was determined to be it's own parent."
        Exit Sub

EH:
    End Sub
    Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dave
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Feb 16th, 2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added CODE tags.

Re: Key is not unique in collection

Welcome to the forums. I edited your post to wrap the code in [CODE][/CODE] tags, which, as you can see, makes it somewhat more nicely formatted. You can do this by pressing the # button and pasting the code between the resulting tags. I also move the question to the Office Development forum, since it's a VBA question.

As a final point: Which line is the exception being thrown on? You may not know that right away, so you may need to comment out the On Error line so that it crashes at the point of the exception. There are other ways to find it, that just might be the easiest.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Shaggy Hiker,

Sorry I put it in the wrong section, as you know I am new to this forum, but hope to be a frequent visitor to learn this again. Thanks also for making it more readable.

Dave

PowerPoster

' Create a new node ID in the format ParentID &"C" & ChildID (eg: 4C12)
    looks like the ID is getting duplicated

can you post a sample of the table data?
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Now I have another issue, I tried to comment out the On Error and run it and found I have another issue. I am running Windows 10 at home along with Office 2010, at work we are running Windows 7 and Office 2010. On my home computer (HP Laptop) I get a new error "There is no Object in this control" . This database is a file that I found on the internet that I thought would work as a starting point for an application at work. I have attached the database so hopefully someone can help me out with it. If you open the form "frmExpandAssembly" , you'll may see the "There is no Object in this control" issue. If you get by that issue then choose KABRSA-12 in the "Pick Assembly" dropdown, enter 1 for the quantity to build, then hit "Expand Parts List", you should get the original error of "Key is not unique in collection error". I cannot get to that point here at home because of the "There is no Object in this control" issue.

Thanks
    Dave

Daves Tree View 2-16-18.zip

I should also add that this was a .mdb file which I converted to an .accdb file

PowerPoster

i work with access databases quite often, but i do not have access installed, the code as posted in the OP, would run in VBA with a treeview on a userform, but as i do not have access to the calling procedure, i do not know what the paramerters are for calling fill treeview including which of the 4 table is being passed
    i can open a recordset using select * from tblpartmain, but i doubt the fields in that are being passed to the treeview

also as i am not opening the database in access, i am unable to help with the error you are getting, possibly related to the registration of the treeview control
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete