Thread: Loading .bmp resources over 8 bit?

Loading .bmp resources over 8 bit?

Can this be done? We have splash screens and when I convert to 8 bit 256 colors, they are no longer professional looking.

PowerPoster

Re: Loading .bmp resources over 8 bit?

Is this for a kind of "RDP-based TerminalServer-Session" (where switching to 8Bit Screen-ColorDepth can reduce the transfer-volume over sockets)?

If not, then I cannot really see, where this kind of stuff applies (these days, where 32bit-Screen-ColorDepth is Standard).

So, of course this "can be done" - but would it be worthwhile to do so, when all you'd need to tell your user is,
    to switch his Screen-ColorDepth to at least 16Bit?

Olaf

Sorry, let me clarify, I am talking about loading bitmaps through the resource editor in VB6

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Khilborn View Post
    Sorry, let me clarify, I am talking about loading bitmaps through the resource editor in VB6
    Well, still not sure here - where the "conversion to 256 Colors"-problem comes into play on your end...

Since one can safe e.g. a 24Bit-(even 32Bit) TrueColor-Bitmap in a (binary) VB6-resource -
    and later load it from there (as a normal VB-ByteArray).

What you then do with these "Image-Bytes" in your App (at startup) is up to you -
    though a conversion to 8Bit (256-Colors) still seems unnecessary to me.

The only thing I can think of, is "VB-Icons" (which at some time needed to be in 8Bit-ColorDepth) -
    but so far you only talked about "Bitmaps" and "SplashScreens".

So the question you should ask is probably (in case the VB6-resource-editor itself has problems with storing some ImageFormats):
    - "How to save *any* ImageType as "normal Binary Data" in a VB-resource"
    (and later load it from that "binary resource-type" as a ByteArray into a StdPicture or something).

Olaf