Thread: Cannot extract .res file

Question Cannot extract .res file

I ripped a 3D model from a game. The problem: it contains textures and meshes. I have used multiple tools to read this file but only I could have read it with the Hex editor. How can I manipulate this file, please?

Thanx

Computer Science BS Jacob Roman's Avatar

Re: Cannot extract .res file

Sounds kinda vague, which is why you weren't seeing too many responses. If you ripped a 3D model from a game, then what is the file extension? Is it a .3ds file? A .max file? A .x file? A .raw file? A .cad file? Etc.

Next thing to do is to find out if it's a binary file. If you open it with Notepad or Wordpad, do you get garbage data? If you do, then it's binary. If not, then it's plain text and it could be easy to decipher.

Then the next step (if it's a binary file) is to extract the data using C++. Odds are, there is plenty of code on the web to do this, since C++ is the #1 language when it comes to 3D graphics. If there isn't, then the developers who created the 3D models didn't want others to view or manipulate the data due to copyright reasons, and probably used their own format. Lets hope they used 3D studio max, Autocad, Maya, or some form of typical 3D software to create the models. Don't forget you'll also need the material files too.

Hi Jacob.
    This file https://www.dropbox.com/s/xw1myp3f6r...rlene.res?dl=0 is a *.res file. IsnĀ“t a plain text, object or similar. I cannot open it except with Hex editor which is possible to read some words in referring to *.tif and obj parts.

Is very strange. Is encrypted? What do you see?
    Thankx

Funny, I thought the .res file you were referring to was a resource file Well I tried to look into it and...nothing online. Just like I said, it's a file format that the company doesn't want exploited or modified for copyright reasons. So there won't be any information online. On the act of desparation, I tried a number of other techniques, I tried changing the extention to any of the Autodesk 3D Studio Max files (which is like 30 different some odd file formats, and nothing will import. I tried changing it to .zip, .rar, and even .7z, and it won't open. Out of curiosity, what game is this for? I saw the joint stuff in the hex editor, so it's definitely a 3D model of a person or a creature. If it really is a resource file, have you tried dragging it into visual studio in the solution explorer to see if it will open?

Hi Jacob.
    The game is The penguins of madagascar (wii and ps3), is the same file in two platforms.

I opened the model with Visual Studio but it does not read it as if it was a resource. It is possible that it has copyright. So, how is it possible to read that it contains textures paths and polygons?
    Thanx

You probably won't be able to due to all the garbage data found inside the file. It will be hard to tell what characters are numbers and what are actual characters. It won't be worth all the hard work to even bother.