dcsimg

Question How can I generate a negative random number

I would like to generate a floating point value in the range of -1 to +1. I used the following snippet, but it's always positive.

Me.Text = (-1 * Rnd() +1).ToString

Re: How can I generate a negative random number

Rnd is a holdover from VB6 and should not be used in VB.NET. Unfortunately, many tutorials and classes are written by people who haven't learned anything new in a while, including the last 15 years that .NET has been around. Use the Random class and call its Next method. You simply provide a lower bound and upper bound for the range you want the number to be drawn from. That range can be anywhere from Integer.MinValue to Integer.MaxValue.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

Sinecure devotee

Re: How can I generate a negative random number

Since Rnd returns a value between 0 and 1, not including 1, as long as you don't need to hit -1.0 or 1.0 then you should think about it.
    -1 to 1 is a range of 2, so generate a number with a range of 0 to 2, i.e. 2*Rnd() and subtract 1.

Of course since you're using .Net you really should be using the Random Class instead of Rnd.