Thread: I love a parade

I love a parade

I'm so excited about the big military parade Trump is planning. I hope it is WAY bigger than the ones China, Russia, N. Korea, et al. have. Lot's of missiles, tanks, jets overhead, all that good stuff. We can finally prove who has the biggest button

As long as Mexico pays for it...
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:41 PM.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Re: I love a parade

It's going to be YUGE I tell you... Yuge!

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    It's going to be YUGE I tell you... Yuge!

-tg
    It will "trump" all the other ones in the world

I guess this got deleted....

I hope the tanks and such will fire LIVE Ammo...Then some in DC would get a big bang out of that.

Breaking NEWS:

Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto has confirmed that Mexico will not pay for the "stinking" parade...

PowerPoster

Wow, this place is turning into The View.

I was under the impression that tanks would make a big impression on DC...due to the roads not being designed to support that kind of weight.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hopefully for someone it's not extremely windy that day as columns of large vehicles pass.

OT, anyone who didn't complain when Trump called for Democrats to support his immigration reforms on the back of someone being killed by a drunk driver who was an illegal immigrant doesn't get to complain about Democrats politicising a tragedy the next time there's a mass shooting and they call for tighter gun laws.

King of sapila

As I'm not into politics and certainly not to USA politics.
    Is Trump really doing what he was elected for?
    I mean, will he build a wall in Mexico, will he get rip of immigrants? Will he go to war with Korea? Is he passing any peculiar laws that former presidents had on halt?
    In general is he just barking and not doing anything?

(if he is just barking then you can get advise from this thread http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...en-my-neighbor )
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    OT, anyone who didn't complain when Trump called for Democrats to support his immigration reforms on the back of someone being killed by a drunk driver who was an illegal immigrant doesn't get to complain about Democrats politicising a tragedy the next time there's a mass shooting and they call for tighter gun laws.
    That is some convoluted logic...and not even close to true. Right up there with if you don't stand and clap for Trump you are un-American and treasonous. In other words you don't have to speak out against one issue to be allowed to speak out against another. If that were true all we would hear is crickets. Hypocrisy is in the eye of the beholder.
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Feb 9th, 2018 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Removed some language that violates the AUP.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    As I'm not into politics and certainly not to USA politics.
    Is Trump really doing what he was elected for?
    I mean, will he build a wall in Mexico, will he get rip of immigrants? Will he go to war with Korea? Is he passing any peculiar laws that former presidents had on halt?
    In general is he just barking and not doing anything?

(if he is just barking then you can get advise from this thread http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...en-my-neighbor )
    The republican party will let him run roughshod over the country as much as he wants; as they are in power. And that is exactly what he is doing. All they, and Democrats too, care about as soon as they are elected is getting re-elected. Even if it means trashing the country. The average American, and our many time honored values, are just casualties of political war (collateral damage). Trump is catering to his base and the hell with the rest of America.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    That is some convoluted logic...and not even close to true. Right up there with if you don't stand and clap for the great orange stain you are un-American and treasonous. In other words you don't have to speak out against one issue to be allowed to speak out against another. If that were true all we would hear is crickets. Hypocrisy is in the eye of the beholder.
    I think that you may have misinterpreted my comment. Whenever there is a mass shooting in America, many gun control advocates (primarily Democrats) call for more stringent laws and they get accused of using a tragedy for political gain by many (primarily Republicans) when, in actual fact, what they're actually trying to do is prevent more people being killed in a similar manner. In this case though, Trump is absolutely using a tragedy for political gain - the fact that the drunk driver was an illegal immigrant is a complete red herring as plenty of American citizens, born and bred, drive drunk too - and yet those same Republicans won't say boo. If someone really has a problem with tragic deaths being used for political gain then they must have an issue with Trump in this case and if they don't have an issue in this case then they reveal themselves to be disingenuous liars who are trying to avoid logical debate on gun control. Of course, anyone can talk about anything they want but if they want to be taken seriously then they should probably avoid such hypocrisy.

King of sapila

(with the hope someone NOT blow my head off).
    I can't understand the immigrant thing. Are there any native Americans but the Indians in USA ? How do you specify an immigrant? A person with no Green Card?

I can't understand the immigrant thing. Are there any native Americans but the Indians in USA ? How do you specify an immigrant? A person with no Green Card?
    We define it as: Anybody who got here after we did.

This isn't just national immigration. I grew up in a small town in NH. My mother was one of the elected officials who ran the town. The town itself was really nice, super scenic, and pretty expensive for a variety of reasons, but partly due to the zoning laws that required you to have at least four acres to build a house. That meant that density was quite low, and since NH is heavily forested, houses tended to all be hidden from one another outside of the town center itself. Another factor is that states in New England follow a different pattern from the rest of the country, so people unfamiliar with the system in New England may not understand how BIG that town was, which even further spread people out.

Most of the issues my mother dealt with seemed to revolve around the issue of, "We built a house here because we loved the character of the town, so we don't want anybody else to build here and potentially destroy that character." They love the rural character, so they move in, cut down some trees, build a house....but are horrified if anybody ELSE wants to build anywhere near them, cause it will ruin the character of the place.

That's immigration in the US.

Sinecure devotee

I assume by their definition, anyone granted US Citizenship by birth is not an immigrant.
    For example, Arnold Schwarzenegger has US Citizenship, but he wasn't born here so can't be President of the United States, so I guess he would still be considered an immigrant on one level of definition.
    Last edited by passel; Feb 8th, 2018 at 10:43 AM.

King of sapila

Pardon me but that does not seem like immigration.
    It seems more like a haste takeover. I guess this is what you are slide implying.

"Anybody who got here after we did" Is a joke right? Or you mean the Indians?

In Greece we have 2 levels of immigration.
    First level is citizenship
    Second Level is nationality

It's very hard do get nationality, even born people do not get it. Exception do apply though in cases that the people can lift up Greece popularity, like Giannis Antetokounmpo. That is actually Nigerian but born in Greece. If we wasn't the good NBA player that he is then prolly would only have citizenship.
    The "anybody who got here after we did" rule, actually apply in Greece. We got here a couple of thousand of years ago,we knocked, there was no one there but some dinosaurs, so we claimed the place.
    Last edited by sapator; Feb 8th, 2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: sneezing armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I think that you may have misinterpreted my comment. Whenever there is a mass shooting in America, many gun control advocates (primarily Democrats) call for more stringent laws and they get accused of using a tragedy for political gain by many (primarily Republicans) when, in actual fact, what they're actually trying to do is prevent more people being killed in a similar manner. In this case though, Trump is absolutely using a tragedy for political gain - the fact that the drunk driver was an illegal immigrant is a complete red herring as plenty of American citizens, born and bred, drive drunk too - and yet those same Republicans won't say boo. If someone really has a problem with tragic deaths being used for political gain then they must have an issue with Trump in this case and if they don't have an issue in this case then they reveal themselves to be disingenuous liars who are trying to avoid logical debate on gun control. Of course, anyone can talk about anything they want but if they want to be taken seriously then they should probably avoid such hypocrisy.
    I did misunderstand and I agree with you wholeheartedly...

Here is the USA legal definition. The term Immigrant points to this term:

Permanent Resident Alien - An alien admitted to the United States as a lawful permanent resident. Permanent residents are also commonly referred to as immigrants; however, the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) broadly defines an immigrant as any alien in the United States, except one legally admitted under specific nonimmigrant categories (INA section 101(a)(15)). An illegal alien who entered the United States without inspection, for example, would be strictly defined as an immigrant under the INA but is not a permanent resident alien. Lawful permanent residents are legally accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States. They may be issued immigrant visas by the Department of State overseas or adjusted to permanent resident status by the Department of Homeland Security in the United States.

https://www.dhs.gov/immigration-stat...resident_alien

I guess Shaggy Hiker has a good, tongue in check, point "We define it as: Anybody who got here after we did.".

I think it is relative and partly just a timing point. Starting with immigrants children...each generation makes them less of an immigrant...I guess

For Trump it is anyone not white or from a s**thole country
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Feb 8th, 2018 at 12:51 PM.

There are legal definitions of immigrants, but when people are complaining, my definition is the one they are using. The rest is window dressing. The economic impacts of immigration of all types are so complicated that nobody can fully sort them out. This may be more true of a sprawling country like the US than for a more compact one, but large and small the impacts are complicated. I live in a state where that is particularly true, which is likely why discussion of immigration, legal and otherwise, is so muted in a state as red as this one. The benefits likely FAR outweigh the costs in this state, which makes grandstanding on the subject a bit iffy.