dcsimg

VB 6 and Crystal Report 2008

hi
    i am using an old app developed in VB6 and reports are in Crystal Reports 2008. Recently I added arabic language in Crystal reports ,initially users were getting ?????? instead of arabic characters in reports, i install Crystal report on user machine and got arabic in report. From here disaster started and users start getting error Runtime error 20554
    access denied to report.
    can any expert provide tips how to avoid this error , i found that report file remains in user ,
    reports are access from shared folder in server.
    thanks for help
    regards,
    Imran

Frenzied Member

Re: VB 6 and Crystal Report 2008

Did you install the Crystal Reports Viewer or the full Crystal Reports package?

Can we assume that your users have the appropriate fonts installed to display the Arabic characters?

Error 20554 link:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=191381

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Did you install the Crystal Reports Viewer or the full Crystal Reports package?

Can we assume that your users have the appropriate fonts installed to display the Arabic characters?

Error 20554 link:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=191381
    thanks for your reply.
    i have installed complete package, arabic fonts also installed on user machine
    before full crystal report package, users have crytal report basic for vs2008
    but arabic was appearing as ????? in report, only labels fields extracted from sql server were appearing correct in arabic ,
    the only problem is labels.

Frenzied Member

Does the Crystal Report get created OK? If yes, what happens if you copy it the user's computer Documents folder - can you open and view it from there using Crystal Reports? If not, can you open it on the user's computer using Notepad?

thanks for reply , i cant copy report files to local user computer as there are more than 100 users and if any change is required in report, i have to copy it to all 100 users.
    can anyone please suggest any solution, big trouble for me. this report remains open in windows shared till application is closed , even if preview is closed in CR but file still remain open in windows shared folder with lock 1
    thanks for help guys.

Hyperactive Member

One thing you could try is to change the permissions on these report files so that end users only have read access to them. That should prevent Crystal Reports from the file locking issue you mention above.