Thread: What have I done? - changed ownership of sqlncli.rll in SysWOW64

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

What have I done? - changed ownership of sqlncli.rll in SysWOW64

I've spent the last 2 days trying to install VS Community edition 2017 and boy was it painful. Basically, I just repeatedly got errors saying it couldn't install sqlncli due to a lack of privileges. Running the installer as administrator didn't make any difference. I also tried installing SQLServer and got the exact same problems. Lots of googling taught me that I could take ownership of the file and give full control permissions to everyone so that's what I've done and the installs now work fine. Before taking ownership it showed as owner unknown and nobody had permissions.

However, as sledgehammers cracking nuts goes this feels like a potential wrecking ball. That's obviously some sort of system file (It sits in Windows>SysWOW64>1033) and opening it up to the world feels pretty dangerous. I want to know I haven't left a massive security hole in my PC.

For now I've removed the permission again but I'm curious to know what the permission should look like. Particularly as I notice that the other files in the same folder have the same permission set up (ie the set up before I made any changes - nobody has any permissions). Presumably that's not as it should be because that will prevent other installations from running.

So, anyone want to chip in and tell me what these files and folders are supposed to look like.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Re: What have I done? - changed ownership of sqlncli.rll in SysWOW64

Here's what mine looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

I would assume that "sqlncli" has something to do with SQL Server Native Client.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Thanks JM.

Yeah, I'd managed to track down that it was SQLServer Native Client but it's obviously doing a whole lot more than SQLServer given the problems it was giving me. I kinda wonder if they use it as some sort of communication device for the installs or something.

Anyway, those screenshots should be everything I need to emulate the same. Thanks hugely.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd