Thread: Loop through a range and filter data based on the criteria in the columns cells

Hyperactive Member

Loop through a range and filter data based on the criteria in the columns cells

I have a worksheet named "Rawdata" and another worksheet named as "Mapping" and multiple other worksheets in a workbook. The Rawdata consists of some sales data which has 2 columns .i.e. States (e.g. Arizona, Albama, California etc) and another column consists of the cities from those states (e.g. Gilbert, Phoenix etc.), The multiple other worksheets which I have in the workbook are named after each state. The mapping tab consists of States column and City column in which City column consists multiple Cities entered against the each state separated by commas. Now I have used the below code to filter the Raw data worksheet based on the criteria which is entered in the Mapping tab column B .i.e. Cities. So the idea is to filter the data from Rawdata tab for each state and copy it into the respective state tab.

Code:
    Sub FilterDataMacro()
    Dim CopyShtname As String
    CopyShtname = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Mapping").Range("A2").Value
    Dim FilterCriteria As Variant
    FilterCriteria = Split(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Mapping").Range("B2").Value, ",")

ActiveSheet.Range("$A$1:$U$10000").AutoFilter Field:=11, Criteria1:=FilterCriteria, Operator:=xlFilterValues
    Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Select ' while selecting i want to exclude the header row
    Selection.Copy
    Sheets(CopyShtname).Select
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    End Sub

Is there a way I can run the above code in loop for a range of cells .i.e. Column A and B in mapping tab, where I have the Sheet name (in which the data needs to be pasted post filtering) in Column A and the Criteria in Column B (separated by Commas).
    Last edited by abhay_547; Feb 6th, 2018 at 01:46 PM.

PowerPoster

Re: Loop through a range and filter data based on the criteria in the columns cells

can you post a sample workbook with some data and desired result?
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Hyperactive Member

Re: Loop through a range and filter data based on the criteria in the columns cells

Quote Originally Posted by westconn1 View Post
    can you post a sample workbook with some data and desired result?

Attached is the sample data workbook. It consists of dummy data similar to my workbook data and the macro. the filtered data should be copied into individual state sheets and the macro should loop through Mapping sheet for Criteria and Destination sheetnames.
    Attached Files Attached Files

PowerPoster

you can test this to see of it does what you want
    Code:
    Sub FilterDataMacro()
        With ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Mapping")
            For rw = 2 To .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
                CopyShtname = .Cells(rw, 1).Value
                If Not wsexists(CopyShtname) Then ThisWorkbook.Sheets.Add(, ThisWorkbook.Sheets("mapping")).Name = CopyShtname
                FilterCriteria = Split(.Cells(rw, 2).Value, ",")
                With ThisWorkbook.Sheets("raw data")
                    .Range("$A$1:$U$10000").AutoFilter Field:=10, Criteria1:=FilterCriteria ', Operator:=xlfilter
                    .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy ThisWorkbook.Sheets(CopyShtname).Range("A1")
                    .ShowAllData
                End With
            Next
        End With
    End Sub
    Function wsexists(nm As String) As Boolean
    For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Sheets
        If ws.Name = nm Then wsexists = True: Exit Function
    Next
    End Function
    i added a bit extra to create any missing state worksheets, if you want to avoid copying the header row to the state worksheets remove row 1 after copying
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

pete

Hyperactive Member

you can test this to see of it does what you want
    Code:
    Sub FilterDataMacro()
                If Not wsexists(CopyShtname) Then ThisWorkbook.Sheets.Add(, ThisWorkbook.Sheets("mapping")).Name = CopyShtname
                    .Range("$A$1:$U$10000").AutoFilter Field:=10, Criteria1:=FilterCriteria ', Operator:=xlfilter
                    .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy ThisWorkbook.Sheets(CopyShtname).Range("A1")
                    .ShowAllData
                End With
            Next
        End With
    End Sub
    For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Sheets
    Next
    End Function
    i added a bit extra to create any missing state worksheets, if you want to avoid copying the header row to the state worksheets remove row 1 after copying
    Its not filtering the data for all cities, e.g. I have below 13 cities mapped against Arizona state in the Mapping tab but it filters the Raw data tab for only Yuma city and copies the same into the Arizona worksheet. same thing is happening for all other states where there are more than once city mapped against a state, it working correctly only for District of Columbia since it has only one city mapped against it, that is washington. can you advise.

Avondale, Bullhead City, Chandler, Gilbert, Glendale, Mesa, Peoria, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Sierra Vista, Tempe, Tucson, Yuma

PowerPoster

it would appear that autofilter is only finding the last city in the filters array

i will fix it later

edit: i did some further testing on a machine with a later version of excel
    setting the operator to xlfiltervalues (as you had, but not valid in my version of excel) did resolve the problem
    BUT i found that peoria was listed as a city in both arizona and illnois (no idea if actually both states have a city of that name, or that other cities may exist in multiple states) AND the results were not sorted, except by row

my preferred solution would probably be to filter by state, then possibly sort the pasted result by city, but i am not sure what result you really want
    Last edited by westconn1; Feb 8th, 2018 at 02:32 AM.

pete

Code:
    Sub FilterDataMacro()
    CopyShtname = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Mapping").Range("A2").Value
    FilterCriteria = Split(ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Mapping").Range("B2").Value, ",")

ActiveSheet.Range("$A$1:$U$10000").AutoFilter Field:=10, Criteria1:=FilterCriteria, Operator:=xlFilterValues
    Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Select ' while selecting i want to exclude the header row
    Selection.Copy
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
    End Sub

Public Sub SplitData()
        Dim wrk As Workbook
        Dim shtS As Worksheet
        Dim shtD As Worksheet
        Dim shtM As Worksheet
        Dim rng As Range

Dim sWrk As String
        Dim sCity As String
        Dim lngMaxRow As Long
        Dim lngMaxCol As Long
        Dim lngCol As Long
        Dim lngRow As Long
        Dim lngCols(3) As Long
        Dim lngDestRow As Long
        Dim lngMapping As Long

Set wrk = ActiveWorkbook
        Set shtS = wrk.Sheets("Raw Data")
        Set shtM = wrk.Sheets("mapping")

lngMaxCol = shtS.Cells(1, 1).End(xlToRight).Column
        lngMaxRow = shtS.Cells(1, 1).End(xlDown).Row

'sort data by country, state, city
        'assume the columns exist - otherwise sort will be wrong
        sWrk = "Country"
        lngCol = shtS.Range(shtS.Cells(1, 1), shtS.Cells(1, lngMaxCol)).Find(sWrk).Column
        If (shtS.Cells(1, lngCol) = sWrk) Then
            lngCols(0) = lngCol
            shtS.AutoFilter.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=shtS.Range(shtS.Cells(2, lngCol), shtS.Cells(lngMaxRow, lngCol)), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        End If
        sWrk = "State"
        lngCol = shtS.Range(shtS.Cells(1, 1), shtS.Cells(1, lngMaxCol)).Find(sWrk).Column
            lngCols(1) = lngCol
            shtS.AutoFilter.Sort.SortFields.Add Key:=shtS.Range(shtS.Cells(2, lngCol), shtS.Cells(lngMaxRow, lngCol)), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        End If
        sWrk = "City"
        lngCol = shtS.Range(shtS.Cells(1, 1), shtS.Cells(1, lngMaxCol)).Find("City").Column
            lngCols(2) = lngCol
        End If

With shtS.AutoFilter.Sort
            .Header = xlYes
            .MatchCase = False
            .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
            .SortMethod = xlPinYin
            .Apply
        End With

sWrk = ""
        sCity = ""
        lngMapping = 1
        For lngRow = 2 To lngMaxRow
            If (shtS.Cells(lngRow, lngCols(0)) = "United States") Then
                If (sWrk <> shtS.Cells(lngRow, lngCols(1))) Then

If (lngMapping > 1) Then shtM.Cells(lngMapping, 2) = shtM.Cells(lngMapping, 2) & "," & sCity

lngMapping = shtM.Cells(65535, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
                    shtM.Cells(lngMapping, 1) = sWrk

sWrk = shtS.Cells(lngRow, lngCols(1))
                    sCity = shtS.Cells(lngRow, lngCols(2))

'set sheet - if doesnt exist create it
                    On Error Resume Next
                    Set shtD = wrk.Sheets(sWrk)
                    If Err Then
                        Err.Clear
                        Set shtD = wrk.Sheets.Add
                        shtD.Name = sWrk
                        shtS.Range(shtS.Cells(1, 1), shtS.Cells(1, lngMaxCol)).Copy
                        shtD.Cells(1, 1).PasteSpecial xlPasteAll
                        lngDestRow = 2

Else
                        lngDestRow = shtD.Cells(65535, 1).End(xlUp).Row
                    End If
                    On Error GoTo 0
                End If

If (sCity <> shtS.Cells(lngRow, lngCols(2))) Then
                    sCity = shtS.Cells(lngRow, lngCols(2))
                    If shtM.Cells(lngMapping, 2) <> "" Then
                        shtM.Cells(lngMapping, 2) = shtM.Cells(lngMapping, 2) & "," & sCity
                    Else
                        shtM.Cells(lngMapping, 2) = sCity
                    End If
                End If

shtS.Range(shtS.Cells(lngRow, 1), shtS.Cells(lngRow, lngMaxCol)).Copy
                shtD.Cells(lngDestRow, 1).PasteSpecial xlPasteAll
                lngDestRow = lngDestRow + 1

End If

If lngRow Mod 5 Then DoEvents
        Next

Set shtD = Nothing
        Set shtS = Nothing
        Set wrk = Nothing

End Sub
    I had a go... not the most elegant nor quick... Reckon with the filter you'd go faster... possibly just pivot the results to a temp sheet get the values and store then erase the pivot?

BOFH Now, BOFH Past, Information on duplicates

Feeling like a fly on the inside of a closed window (Thunk!)
    If I post a lot, it is because I am bored at work! ;D Or stuck...
    * Anything I post can be only my opinion. Advice etc is up to you to persue...

Hyperactive Member

it would appear that autofilter is only finding the last city in the filters array

i will fix it later

edit: i did some further testing on a machine with a later version of excel
    setting the operator to xlfiltervalues (as you had, but not valid in my version of excel) did resolve the problem
    BUT i found that peoria was listed as a city in both arizona and illnois (no idea if actually both states have a city of that name, or that other cities may exist in multiple states) AND the results were not sorted, except by row

my preferred solution would probably be to filter by state, then possibly sort the pasted result by city, but i am not sure what result you really want
    I am using excel 2010 on my office pc and at home i have excel 2013 and on both i am having the same issue. In fact i am going to use this in office pc where i get the message "Excel cannot complete this task with available resources" when i run the above macro, also actually the state column is not reliable since it has lot of spell errors and blanks in the raw data tab hence I want to use the cities. also I am planning to keep the state named worksheets in a separate workbook which will be open while running macro. i made a small tweak and tried below but still it shows the same msg .i.e. excel cannot complete the task with available resources.

Code:
    Sub FilterDataMacro()
                If Not wsexists(CopyShtname) Then Workbooks("Final Output.xlsx").Sheets.Add(, ThisWorkbook.Sheets("mapping")).Name = CopyShtname
                    .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy
                    .ShowAllData
                End With
                Workbooks("Final Output.xlsx").Sheets(CopyShtname).Range("A1").Select
                ActiveSheet.Paste
            Next
        End With
    End Sub
    For Each ws In Workbooks("Final Output.xlsx").Sheets
    Next
    End Function

PowerPoster

i.e. excel cannot complete the task with available resources.
    it worked fine for me, but i was only using the small sample data
    where do you get the error? can you test with the sample and with different amounts of data? my computer here is always working at maximum resource usage and i often have to close programs for others to work

If Not wsexists(CopyShtname) Then Workbooks("Final Output.xlsx").Sheets.Add(, ThisWorkbook.Sheets("mapping")).Name = CopyShtname
    adding a worksheet (if required) should fail as you are trying to add the new sheet after a sheet in a different workbook

from post #6
    did you try this? as it is still commented in the code as post #8, as i mainly work in excel 2000 some features are not available, including using arrays as criteria, but i tested in excel 2010, and all cities were found as far as i could see, though there was some problem with duplicate city as in post #6

i would paste to the state worksheet before .showalldata as would think that probably changes cutcopymode

if you determine that the error is the volume of the data, some other alternative method may be required to work with such large files, can you post a sample where it stops working

pete

Hyperactive Member

Ok. its showing the error msg "excel cannot complete the task with available resources" on the below line, for some sheets its able to copy and paste the data for example one of the state has only 74 lines so its able to filter and copy paste the data in the final output workbook in that respective state sheet but i believe it has got a limitation may be something above 100 row items is not getting handled by it and its showing the error:

Code:
     ActiveSheet.Paste 
    Code:
    Sub FilterDataMacro()
                     On Error Resume Next
                     .ShowAllData
                    .Range("$A$1:$U$10000").AutoFilter Field:=10, Criteria1:=FilterCriteria, Operator:=xlFilterValues
                    .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy               
                End With
                Workbooks("Final Output.xlsx").Activate
                 Range("A1").Select
                ActiveSheet.Paste
            Next
        End With
    End Sub
    For Each ws In Workbooks("Final Output.xlsx").Sheets
    Next
    End Function
    Last edited by abhay_547; Feb 11th, 2018 at 11:34 AM.

Hyperactive Member

can someone help with the above code.

excel cannot complete the task with available resources
    means you dont have enough memory... try this link

Although the test work book you posted plus my code... never had a problem either...
    Perhaps you need to get a better computer ? Or borrow a better one to compare?

BOFH Now, BOFH Past, Information on duplicates

Feeling like a fly on the inside of a closed window (Thunk!)
    If I post a lot, it is because I am bored at work! ;D Or stuck...
    * Anything I post can be only my opinion. Advice etc is up to you to persue...

PowerPoster

if you do not have enough resources to copy and paste you may need to look at some other method for transferring the data

Workbooks("Final Output.xlsx").Activate
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    i would avoid the selecting, activating and use of activesheet

pete

PowerPoster

here is an alternative solution that does not use filtering or copy and paste, this may resolve you resources problem

Code:
    Sub sql()
    Dim cn As Connection, Rs As Recordset, rs2 As Recordset, cel As Range, sql As String

Set cn = New Connection
    Set Rs = New Recordset
    Set rs2 = New Recordset
    With cn
        .Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
        .ConnectionString = "Data Source=" & ThisWorkbook.FullName & ";" & _
    "Extended Properties='Excel 8.0;hdr=yes'"
    '"Extended Properties=""Excel 8.0;hdr=yes;IMEX=1;"""

.Open
    End With
    sql = "select * from ['raw data$']"
    With Sheets("Mapping")
        For rw = 2 To 16
            stat = .Cells(rw, 1)
            where = " where ([City]='"
            cits = .Cells(rw, 2)
            cita = Split(cits, ", ")
            For I = 0 To UBound(cita)
                where = where & Join(cita, "' or [City]='")
            Next
            where = Trim(where) & "')"
            'Debug.Print where
            rs2.Open sql & where, cn, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly
            Set cel = Sheets(stat).Range("a1")
            cel.Resize(, 21).Value = Sheets("raw data").Range("a1:u1").Value
            cel.Offset(1).CopyFromRecordset rs2
            rs2.Close
            where = ""
        Next
    End With
    cn.Close
    End Sub
    requires a reference to ms activex data objects, this is partially tested and appears to work correctly, you will have to test for problems with larger data files

pete

Hyperactive Member

It gets stuck on the below line and shows the error msg .i.e. "the microsoft jet database engine could not find the object "rawdata$". Make sure the object exists and you spell its name and the path name correctly. My sheet name is RawData without space in between

Code:
    rs2.Open sql & where, cn, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly
    If I add a space between RawData then it gets stuck on the below line. I don't have the state sheets in the macro file, I have the state sheets created in a separate file called Final Output.xlsx. and I want the filtered data to be pasted in the individual state sheet of final output file and if one of the state tab doesn't exist then it should add the same.

Code:

PowerPoster

if one of the state tab doesn't exist then it should add the same.
    i provided a function to do that earlier, see post #4, which you modified to work with a different workbook, make sure you have fixed adding a worksheet as per the comment in post #9
    to keep the function generic, you should pass the workbook object to the function along with the sheet name

as the state sheet is in a different workbook, you need to fully qualify the sheet
    Code:
    Set cel = workbooks("final output").Sheets(stat).Range("a1")
    same applies if the mapping sheet is in a different workbook
    All the code i tested was based on the sample file where all the sheet were in the same workbook
    the sample sheet name had a space Raw Data
    if yours has no space just change to
    Code:
    sql = "select * from ['rawdata$']"

pete

Hyperactive Member

Ok. but I had already tried by removing the space in between in the select statement but still it shows the same error message .i.e. "the microsoft jet database engine could not find the object "rawdata$". Make sure the object exists and you spell its name and the path name correctly. i have the sheet named as "rawdata" which consists of main data in the macro workbook itself.
    Is it something to do with the reference. I am using the reference to Microsoft AcitveX Data Objects 6.1 Library, so does it need to be different ?

for Set Cel, i have updated it to point to the final output workbook

Code:
    Set cel = workbooks("final output.xlsx").Sheets(stat).Range("a1")

PowerPoster

Is it something to do with the reference.
    is your workbook .xls or .xlsx, if it .xlsx may have to change the connection like

Code:
    Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=c:\myFolder\myExcel2007file.xlsx;
    Extended Properties="Excel 12.0 Xml;HDR=YES";
    as your sample was an .xls, i just went with that, easier for me anyway

pete

Hyperactive Member

It's *.xlsm but rather than hard coding file name can i use below

Code:
    Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;"Data Source=" & ThisWorkbook.FullName & ";"
    Extended Properties="Excel 12.0 Xml;HDR=YES";
    Last edited by abhay_547; Feb 17th, 2018 at 06:39 AM.

PowerPoster

that should work fine, but for .xlsm (which should have been obvious to me) change as below
    Code:
    Extended Properties="Excel 12.0 Macro;HDR=YES";
    print the connection string to the immediate window to make sure it looks correct

pete

Hyperactive Member

now it shows the attached error message. I am testing it on my office machine with excel 2010. reference: Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 6.1 Library

Code:
    With cn
        .Provider = "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0"
        .ConnectionString = "Data Source=" & ThisWorkbook.FullName & ";" & _
    "Extended Properties='Excel 12.0 Macro;hdr=yes'"

.Open
    End With
    sql = "select * from ['rawdata$']"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by abhay_547; Feb 18th, 2018 at 05:17 AM.

PowerPoster

remove the enclosing ' '
    Code:
    sql = "select * from [rawdata$]"
    a change between ADO and ACE

pete