Thread: [RESOLVED] Method not valid without a suitable object error

Resolved [RESOLVED] Method not valid without a suitable object error

Hi all,

This is a first time post and am using VBA to access a worksheet built in Excel 2013, extract information and group according to three fields.

The current version of the SQL string I am trying to use is as follows but am getting the "Method not valid without a suitable object". I understand that this means I am trying to do something with a field but it is not in the correct format. I have tried numerous versions but without success.

The work sheet is simply multiple rows of data in a non specific sequence. All fields are formatted as you would expect i.e General, Number, Time etc.

I want to summarise a group of likeminded rows at a particular level. For instance, each row has an arrival time. I want to find the first and last arrival time in likeminded rows before they are grouped so I can save the two pieces of information. I also want to count the number of rows and to derive a total of a couple of numeric fields.

Row 1 has the Column headings.

The SQL string is:
    sqlstring4 = "SELECT [xxxx_X], [xxxx_Y], [xxxx_Canx], Sum (xxxx_Total_1] As [WorkSheetData$].[result_Total_1]), Max ([xxxx_Time_1] As [WorkSheetData$].[result_Time_1]), Count ([xxxx_Records_1] As [WorkSheetData$].[result_Records_1]) FROM [WorkSheetData$A1:Y625] Where [WorkSheetData$].[xxxx_Canx] = " & "'" & [sqlCanx] & "'" & " Group By [xxxx_X], [xxxx_Y], [xxxx_Canx];"

Hope you can help.

Many thanks.

Re: Method not valid without a suitable object error

It's your aliasing:
    Code:
     Max ([xxxx_Time_1] As [WorkSheetData$].[result_Time_1]), Count ([xxxx_Records_1] As [WorkSheetData$].[result_Records_1])
    Specifically this part: [WorkSheetData$]. you don't need it. You don't need (or can't it seems) put a table name on a field alias. There's really no need to. It should simply be like this:
    Code:
     Max ([xxxx_Time_1] As [result_Time_1]), Count ([xxxx_Records_1] As [result_Records_1])
    If anything, if you do need to include a table name reference - and since you're only pulling from one table, you don't - then it would be inside the aggregate function.

-tg

EDIT... wait... that's all still screwed up. The alias should be OUTSIDE the aggregate, not inside...
    Code:
     Max ([xxxx_Time_1]) As [result_Time_1], Count ([xxxx_Records_1]) As [result_Records_1]
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hi Techgnome,

Many thanks for your very prompt reply. I shall try this tomorrow morning. Thanks again

Hi Techgnome,

I made the changes as you suggested but it is still coming up with the same error.

The code is now:
    sqlstring4 = "SELECT [xxxx_X], [xxxx_Y], [xxxx_Canx], Sum ([xxxx_Total_1]) As [result_Total_1], Max ([xxxx_Time_1]) As [result_Time_1], Count ([xxxx_Records_1]) AS [result_Records_1] FROM [WorkSheetData$A1:Y625] Where [xxxx_Canx] = " & "'" & [sqlCanx] & "'" & " Group By [xxxx_X], [xxxx_Y], [xxxx_Canx];"

I have double checked the fields on the source data worksheet and they are formatted correctly.

I am sure I have messed it up somewhere. The original file is not sorted in any order.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

The only other thing I can think of is this: [WorkSheetData$A1:Y625] you've got a range on there... try removing it and having just the sheet name: [WorkSheetData$]

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

the range should not cause a problem

i would test with a simple sql, if that works keep building it up till you find the part that causes the error,
    if not check your connection object is correct
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Hi Techgnome, westconn1,

I did exactly what you said. I removed the range and stripped the SQL statement all the way back to "Select *" and it worked thereby proving the connection was ok.

I then added each field to the Select statement and tested they worked. Then went onto the Where clause. That failed without punctuation but worked with punctuation. And that is where I found part of the problem. It seems that my Excel, once it finds an error, doesn't let go of it even though it had been fixed. Once I came out of Excel and then went back into it, the error disappeared.

Once I realised that the error remains, even when the VBA code was amended, I was able to put each field back, one by one, testing as it went (and exiting / reloading Excel whenever a typo error was encountered). Now the Group, Min, Max and Count statements all work.

I have tested the code and it is all working exactly as intended. I am really very grateful to both of you for your help and steering me along the right path.

Many thanks.

PowerPoster

pls mark thread resolved
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete