dcsimg

Lively Member

Just some advice/input. web control

Hello folks,
    I'm currently working on a project for a web based support ticketing system.
    Currently the ticket system is a WordPress plugin hosted online and is working as it's intended, I'm making a desktop application to sit in the system tray that enables the user to submit a ticket without having to open a browser, login, create ticket etc. that bit is fine and working well.
    My questions are these:-
    1. I would like to make a notification to alert the user that the ticket has been replied too, I was thinking a timer to check on the database for a reply then alert the user, as this is intended to stay open all the time would the timer eventually hog resources?
    2. Would it be simpler to use the web browser control and embed the pages within the application or would this cause timeout issues as the application is intended to stay on all the time.

I know these my be stupid questions but I've never really used the Web Browser Control so any input is very welcome.

Thanks,
    Luke.
    Last edited by Weeluke; Feb 4th, 2018 at 06:27 PM.

Re: Just some advice/input. web control

1. As long as you don't need up-to-the-second notifications then that would be fine. You could check every five minutes or even every minute if you needed it. The Timer itself will not hog resources. The only issue would be if you wrote bad code in the Tick (or Elapsed, depending in the type of Timer) event handler.

2. It's hard to say which would be easier but it can be a pain to get data out of a web page displayed in a WebBrowser control. Unless there is an existing web site that you specifically must or want to use, I'd say that you're generally better off going all web or all Windows. Note that it is quite possible for a Windows application to get data via a web service, so that's an option if you need to get data from a web server.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

Lively Member

Thanks JM!
    For the tick it would be a simple 'check the database for this entry' then shout about it.

All the data for the ticket system is stored in a MySQL Database so its not that hard extracting or adding the bits i need.
    There is an existing website and the purpose of this app is to speed up a user submitting a ticket, at the minute i have the basics added to a windows form that inputs the required fields into the database, that then shows up on the ticket system online, so when the agent online replies it will alert the end user, rather than re-creating the whole messaging system i was thinking about going a little fancier for a lot less work.

Something to bear in mind is that the webbrowser control can hog resources (and increase over time), so it is best to avoid it when reasonably possible to do so.

It sounds like you should be able to do most things without it, so you probably don't need to worry too much, just be aware that if your application starts to noticeably increase memory usage then it is probably due to the webbrowser control.