Thread: MSBuild Error MSB3110

Fanatic Member

MSBuild Error MSB3110

I am getting the following error when I run a project:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Warning Assembly 'F:\SiTechMasterBase1.0\ItemMaster 4.0\obj\Debug\TempPE\My Project.Resources.Designer.vb.dll' has mismatched identity 'My Project.Resources.Designer.vb.dll', expected file name: 'My Project.Resources.Designer.vb.dll.dll'. MasterBase 0.1

I have looked up information on this and it suggests that I change the file name to match that. However, I am very hesitant to do anything, as this is into an area where I am completely ignorant and, other than the error showing up in the error window, nothing is occurring that I know of. Bottom line is I am afraid of unintended consequences and would like it if someone might explain to me what is going on and maybe a little support to going ahead and doing as the information suggests I do. Also, why would/should there be a .dll.dll file? That does not even make sense to me.

Fanatic Member

Re: MSBuild Error MSB3110

OK, I didn't wait and followed the suggestion. Then it turned into another error where this same .dll file wanted an additional .dll added to it. I did that then I got the following 2 errors

Code:
    Warning  Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "My Project.Resources.Designer.vb". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. MasterBase 0.1
    Code:
    Warning  The referenced component 'My Project.Resources.Designer.vb' could not be found. MasterBase 0.1
    After that I returned the two files to their original condition and now get this error:

Code:
    Warning  Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "My Project.Resources.Designer.vb". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. MasterBase 0.1   
    Warning  The referenced component 'My Project.Resources.Designer.vb' could not be found. MasterBase 0.1
    So where do I go from here?

Fanatic Member

I do not know if this is related, but this shows up in the output window:

Code:
    'MasterBase 0.1.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: MasterBase 0.1.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Accessibility\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Accessibility.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    So what and where should this file be and what the hell does it do?

You don't want to know.

Have you tried a Clean build? It sounds like some intermediate build files got mucked up. I'd try that, and if it doesn't work, close VS, hunt down the project output directory, and delete the bin and obj folders.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Fanatic Member

If I delete the bin and obj folders will they be rebuilt?

By the way Sitten, the little message you put at the bottom of your reply really makes me feel confident about your suggestion.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by gwboolean View Post

By the way Sitten, the little message you put at the bottom of your reply really makes me feel confident about your suggestion.
    Yes the project files and exe will be rebuilt when you run the program. But make a backup if you have anything else in the folder like dlls, databases ...

You don't want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by gwboolean View Post

It's a bit of snark that held true for a month or so. It seemed no matter what topic I posted about, if I posted a solution someone came back with, "...or use a TableAdapter instead." My favorite was one about "my TableAdapters are broken" where, after a few days, I posted, "Why not just use this ADO code, does it work?" and then everyone kept going on for a week or so after as if I spoke in a different language.

When I put the thing in my signature, it seemed to satisfy them. Now that I'm automatically rebutted, they don't feel a need to show how they use a TableAdapter to store a row in a database that feeds into a system that starts Visual Studio and builds projects for them and would obviously solve your problem.

Anyway:

At a high level Visual Studio is a tool for converting your source code into those bin and obj folders. Its job is to create them. So if you delete them, it sighs and builds them again, usually the right way this time. You'll have to go delete them at least a few dozen more times this year, I bet. Compilation is complex, and it gets confused sometimes.

Just last week, one of my bosses wasted 2 hours chasing a compile error that turned out to be, "I need to delete my obj folder".

Making a backup of your folder might help, but I see it this way: at this point it can't get much worse than "doesn't build".
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.